Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Do you have a writing quirk?  (Read 15468 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Do you have a writing quirk?
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »

This is sort of a weird question, but it's something I've always wondered. Do you have a stamp that you put on all or most of your stories? Just a little thing that you might include consistently in every world that you create? I guess sort of along the lines of how Josh Schwartz always has his characters eating yams and marshmallows at thanksgiving or JJ Abrams and his slusho, lol.

I know that I always personally have my characters stay in hotel room number 1508 - especially is some kind of drama is going to take place in the room. I also realized that I always unintentionall y have had major events take place in Boston.

Or am I the only one who does this? lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Do you have a writing quirk?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »

It was brought to my attention that my characters quite often have scenes where they escape to or hide away in a bathroom lol

I do like alluding to things from my older stories in my newer ones. I took that from Stephen King lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »

Oh wow, I've never thought about this. I don't know if I do!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »

Hm... I don't do anything that intentional, like the hotel room 1508.  Now I wish I did!

I do know that a lot of my stories contain references to Titanic, which is my favorite movie.  I tend to refer to movies a lot in my writing.

I also like to include inside jokes and name minor characters after people, usually friends or readers.  With all the medical drama I write, I hate having to come up with random names for medical personnel, so in Broken and BMS, I named most of the doctors and nurses after people who gave me feedback.  I started Curtain Call in the middle of my Double Rainbow phase and named the first six nurses Dora (for double or double rainbow), Reyna (rain), Bo (bow), Allie (all), Thea (the), and Wei (way).  In Secrets of the Heart, most of them are Beatles references.

My favorite form of passive aggressive revenge is to base characters on people who piss me off (usually in the fandom, but not on AC) and put them in unflattering roles.  Broken and BMS, Curtain Call, and 00Carter all have some of those.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:48:11 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

I love your inside jokes, Julie! Also, you Double Rainbow reference in Curtain Call is awesome. I love putting little themes like that in my writing. I'm trying to do more of that in my newer fics.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »

Writing quirks? Well whenever I write Kevin he is always a jerk. No matter what the story, I make him mean. I don't know why.

I also have Star Wars references sometimes as well. Haven't thought about this so I might have more lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

I love your inside jokes, Julie! Also, you Double Rainbow reference in Curtain Call is awesome. I love putting little themes like that in my writing. I'm trying to do more of that in my newer fics.

Thanks!  It's fun, especially when you forget you've done it and come across things like that when you go back to reread parts.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »

I also realized that I always unintentionall y have had major events take place in Boston.

LOL I always associate Philadelphia with bad things happening to Backstreet Boys because of Mare's stories.  I used Philadelphia in Guilty Roads, I think because of its proximity to Amish country, but I was probably just paying homage to Mare's suspense fics!

Any reason you tend to use Boston, or is it just something random you noticed?
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

I also noticed I like to have things happen in New Jersey, NYC or Florida. Only in one story does it take place in Oklahoma. (Forces Of Nature)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

It's just something random I noticed. I don't even know why Boston ended up being the place, as I'd never been there before February and it's not close to me or anything! The only story it actually needed to be in was Running Up That Hill for AJ's intervention.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »

LOL I always associate Philadelphia with bad things happening to Backstreet Boys because of Mare's stories.  I used Philadelphia in Guilty Roads, I think because of its proximity to Amish country, but I was probably just paying homage to Mare's suspense fics!

Any reason you tend to use Boston, or is it just something random you noticed?

Thanks, Julie! I detest Philly so I guess I tend to make awful things happen there. Although I think I only ever based It Stays there but honestly I don't remember lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:20:07 PM »

They were heading to Philly in Whatever the Night May Bring too; those were the two I was thinking of.  Seems natural to use places you're familiar with (even if you hate them) whenever possible, like Tracy and New Jersey.  That said, I don't seem to use Chicago much - that would be the major city I'm most familiar with.  Most of mine take place in Florida or Cali or wherever the Boys are touring.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »

I tend to have a set of twins somewhere in the story LOL. It used to be that it was the main characters, but after I got out of that phase, I thought I stopped. But even now, I tend to include them if only as minor characters in the background. Undead - Brian has twin daughters, RMTW - AJ has twin daughters lol. So even in more recent stories, I still tend to do it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »

^ You probably have a parasitic twin you never knew about that's lurking inside you, haunting you...

Or maybe you were a twin in another life...

Or maybe you're just fascinated by twins. :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »

Personally, I like the parasitic twin theory LMAO.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6