Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64896 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »

I love John Williams too but my absolute favorite film scorer is Danny Elfman! I will listen to anything that guy scores!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »

Danny Elfman's good too!  I also love James Newton Howard, who did ER and a lot of M. Night Shyamalan's movie scores, as well as tons of other stuff.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2012, 07:15:18 AM »

I love film scores in general. I almost double majored in that in college. I loved playing on scores when I was at college, it's such a fun thing to do and watch how the whole process works! Those people have some of the hardest jobs in the business.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »

Tonight's question:

Give your honest opinion how you feel about fanfic awards? Not just ours here at AC but in general. Do you think they mean anything? Which do you prefer, voted on or judged? Do you think some have been fixed? Have you ever run into a situation where you found out they were rigged? 

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »

Ugh God, fanfic awards.

First of all, I have to say that out of all the fanfic awards I've been a part of or just witnessed, the ones that are run here at AC are the best. They're always so well managed, they're always presented in a super entertaining way, and they're always fair.

I think I like the judged awards the best, to be honest, because I think that actually means more than a voted award. With voted awards, it's probably pretty easy to figure out who'll win. Whatever story is most popular, has the most reviews, got the most nominations, etc... those are of course more likely to win because more people will vote on them. But winning a judged award means that someone actually read over your work with a critical eye and still thought it was worthy of recognition. I know they're a lot of work though, and I was okay with the AC ones being just voted last season because they are such a large amount of work.

I've never run into any situations where I found out any awards were rigged, but I'm sure it's happened. There were actually awards that a couple girls ran in BSB fandom a few years ago that a bunch of us worked pretty hard on, but then the girl who was running them disappeared and we never got to find out the winners. So that was dumb. And they way they were kind of structured were a bit weird. Like, they were judged, and then the one that had the top three scores from the judging were voted on... and it was like, what's the point of judging then?

I could actually go on all day about fanfic awards LMAO so I'll stop now.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »

^ please do go on lol I love reading people's responses!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2012, 03:52:13 PM »

Oooh a couple of days of questions to catch up on!

As for BSB songs inspiring my writing, I don't think so as I never listen to music or the TV when I write.  I need it to be quiet or I'd get distracted and not get a thing done.  Sometimes I might listen to music and think of ideas, but by the time I get around to writing, I've usually forgot, lol.

I love the fanfic awards!  I think they are fairly run and are a great way to bring everyone together and have a bit of fun.  I don't think I've ever taken part in a judged awards, only a voted on one, but either way, I like the way it's done.  I have seen awards on another site (not BSB) and the owner of the site won everything, lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »

SakaSteph said it all!  I've run a couple of fanfic awards and participated in a lot more as a nominee, and of them all, the Felix Awards are definitely the best!  What I like about them most is that they're fair and reliable, something a lot of the old awards were not.  I was nominated in quite a few that never followed through on announcing winners, which was lame.    I was also nominated in some where the only people who won awards were the owner's friends.  Hm, suspicious much? LOL

All that aside, I do like the idea of fanfic awards.  I think they're a nice way to spotlight and celebrate quality writers and stories.  It's not like we write for money or fame, so to have some way of recognizing each other for our efforts, even if it's just with a title and a graphic, is really nice.   I love how the Felix Awards have become like a major event, like the Oscars/Grammys/Emmys.  I really do look forward to the night the winners are announced and what creative way they're going to be presented!

As far as how meaningful they are... at the end of the day, it's really just a title and graphic, based on someone's opinion - either a handful of voters or a judge - and so it's not something to brag about or get all bent out of shape about, but I'm not gonna lie, there's still a nice sense of satisfaction in writing a story that wins that title and graphic!  Like Steph said, I think judged awards are more meaningful, assuming there's some sort of criteria used in judging and not just a random judge's opinion.  When there's voting, it's really just a popularity contest - but it's still fun to win those and know that a lot of people like your story.  It's the difference between the Oscars and the MTV Movie Awards - the winners may be different, but they're all grateful just to be given an award.  The best movies are the ones who can win at both, meaning they're critically acclaimed AND actually entertaining, and the same can be said for stories.  That's why my favorite awards are ones that use a combination of judging and voting.
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »

I agree with the other comments made so far about the fan fic awards - Felix Awards rule! I do come from a biased standpoint though, as I'm not published anywhere else, have never been nominated anywhere else, and have never actually participated in other fan fic award ceremonies or whatnot. lol But from my biased little point of view, I think the Felix Awards are run very well.  ;D
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »

God you guys have no idea how amazing AC is until you go to other fanfic sites lmao.

I love you guys!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »

Just posting on fanfiction.net again has made me realize AC is in a class all its own!  I used to read and post a little on ff.net back in the day, then stopped when they got rid of real person fanfics.  I put up my Harry Potter crossover there just for kicks, since I hadn't posted anything there in a decade, to see what the response would be from a different audience of readers.

First of all, for as much as people complain about AC being glitchy, the EFiction script it uses is so much more user-friendly than ff.net.

Secondly, there are SO many stories on ff.net being updated all the time that my story instantly got lost in the shuffle, so it probably never even got read, let alone reviewed.  I just got a review for it last night - the very first one since I posted it back in April.

Just realizing how HUGE that site has become makes me appreciate our closeknit community on AC.  Sure, there are tons of stories on AC too, and people complain about not staying on the Most Recent page long enough or whatever, but I think AC is just perfect.  Enough stories being updated to provide a good variety for people to read, but not so many that you can't keep up with them all.  Enough people posting here that we can keep good discussions going, but not so many that we don't get to know each other.

I like it better here and now than back in the day when everyone had their own site, and you just had to keep track of people through IM, email, or maybe LD.  Between Twitter and this forum, it's a lot easier to feel like a community of writers.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »

Our tight knit community on AC where we actually care about quality writing and support each other is the best thing ever. Like seriously, yeah the script might be a little glitchy, but FF.net is such a terrible user experience. I'll never, ever complain about not being on the most recent page for long enough after FF.net and how your story is instantly lost after it's posted. I've never even seen one of my stories at the top there, there's such high traffic.

I can't believe I'm actually going to tell you guys this (it is a testament to how much I love all of you) but 1DFF is like that too. It's built on the same eFiction script that AC is but like, you're lucky to stay on the first page of most recent for five minutes. I'm not even kidding. And it's not because people update their stuff, it's because (like FF.net as well) people will post empty chapters to bump their stuff.

Another thing I hate about that site is all the shameless self promotion. Your stuff will hardly get read if you don't go to the forum and beg people to read it. They have multiple threads where people are like "suggest me stories" and at first I was suggesting other people's stuff, but then I realized that was not going to work out for me, and now I'm just as bad as the rest of them! It's awful. But there's no other way to get people to realize you've posted something new.

They're also having a fan fic awards that is a mess, which is why I think it's kinda funny that mare posted the question about those awards, because I've been following that thread on 1DFF closely and shaking my head at the ridiculousness .

I mean don't get me wrong I have a few really good friends I've made on that site, but the majority of teenies there just like...ugh.

That was a very long rant and I'm sorry but I've been holding it in for a very long time LOL.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »

Having been a member and writer on FF.net in the past, AC is by far my favorite website and the only one I go to read fanfiction now. I've tried other sites but at the end of the day, AC makes me feel welcome. We are a group of friends....I've gotten to know a lot of you over the past few years and I love how you guys have helped me grow as a writer....givi ng advice or even suggestions. I really appreciate everyone here. I was a member of ff.net for a few years until they got rid of real person fics. I was supergirl64 on there and I had a few stories including a bsb/nsync version of survivor. I lost all of my work because I hadn't backed it up, and I'm glad I found AC to spark my interest in writing again :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »

Aww, I love you guys! :)  I never really had a group of people to talk shop with before AC.  I had plenty of individual friends to talk about fanfic with, but not in-depth group discussions like we have here.  This was the first message board I really started posting regularly on.  I have a forum too for my site that was made around the same time as this one, but a lot of the people who go there are just readers, not writers, so I never felt like we could really discuss fanfic as well there as we do here.  We could discuss my stories LOL, but that was about it.  And that's really not as much fun as discussing the writing side of things.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »

This thread is like a big group hug now, I love it! This is the first forum I started posting regularly on too :) Everyone here is just so nice and helpful and it's just awesome to have a community of writers who want to help each other and support each other! I love all the random discussions we have on here. I felt so welcomed on this site as soon as I joined. It was just so easy to jump into conversations.

It got so sappy in here so fast lol <3
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27