Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64987 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »

Steph, your description of the 1D fanfic site sounds more like the fanfic board on the BSB fan club forum, only much crazier.  I was going to say that hearing about 1D fans makes me glad the BSB fandom has grown up, but last time I looked at the fanfic forum on the fan club, there were still people whoring out their own stories and being quite teenybopperish, so it's probably not as much an overall maturity thing as just this site setting higher standards than that.  It was the same way with that Refresh forum that Tanja used to plagiarize our stories on; the "writers" there were so ridiculous, it made us appreciate how things are on AC so much!  

I'm glad that we have rules in place to prevent the shameless spamming and that we've lifted ourselves above having to beg other people to read our stories.  I think we owe Chaos, Mare, and Julilly for making this place such a great place to post, read, and talk about fanfic!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »

Yes, we definitely owe our wonderful mods a big thanks for working so hard to make this place so, so awesome. It doesn't go unnoticed!

I have never looked at the fanfic forum on the BSB fanclub, and I probably shouldn't be surprised that there are still teenies like that in our fandom, but I kinda am. And yeah, 1DFF is the craziest place in the world. There's some legit good stuff on there, but you've got to wade through a LOT of junk to find it. And I don't have patience, so I mostly just read what my friends write and that's it. I don't even look at the most recent page.

They hold character auditions too. Where you can ask people if they want to be in your story. That seems a bit weird to me, but to each their own I guess.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 12:15:22 AM »

That's what they did on Refresh too!  Must be a teenybopper thing, although I don't ever remember that being a big thing in the early days of BSB fanfic.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2012, 12:26:39 AM »

Yeah I don't remember that from the early days of BSB fic either, though I definitely added myself and my friends in my own stories, as I'm sure other people did as well. Maybe it's just because we didn't really have forums and stuff back then to easily do stuff like that?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »

Yeah, that must be it.  Like I was saying, it just wasn't as easy to talk to a wider circle of writers.  I pretty much just had people who gave me feedback and people who I gave feedback to talk to LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »

This is the first Fanfic forum I've ever been on. There are only two message boards I go on, here and TDS. Before this I never talked to other writers, that's why I like discussing things here, it is nice to have people to talk writing with :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2012, 05:45:15 AM »

Wow, I am feeling the love coming off this thread lol thanks guys, we are happy you all are happy :) all the hard work keeping this going must be worth it :p
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »

I am glad that AC has been around and continues to be around.  I was part of a couple other fanfic groups but they weren't nearly as diverse as this. It's nice that I can talk to a wide range of people. I have met such awesome people here I'd never know without this site. :)   :cheers:
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

I'll join in and agree that this place and the mods are amazing :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »

I almost don't want to change the topic but it's time for tonight's question lol

Have you ever placed characters or a plot/storyline from one of your stories into another one? Stephen King does that a lot so I was wondering what your thoughts were about this & I don't mean stories that are meant to be related like sequels or prequels but two totally unrelated stories sharing a cameo or mention.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »

I know I have done it in my stories, I wouldn't be able to tell you unless I re-read them though.  I DO know that I consistently use Room 438 in all my stories if I need a hospital or a hotel room that is where they stay, room 438 ;)  It is the only one I can tell you for sure I use to tie in my stories but I know I have more subtle ones in a few of my others. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »

Yessss, I love doing that! I've already said I do the room 1508 thing in the other thread. I've also made reference to a few of my stories in my other ones. The two Christmas stories I have aren't directly linked, but at one point Howie makes a remark about something that happened in the other story. I believe in Running Up That Hill I've also had the guys at some point make reference to a couple things that happen in other more reality based fics I've written. It's hard for me to stick my original characters into other fics though, because most of my original characters are girls who are Nick's love interest du jour. So it wouldn't make sense to have them show up really. But for other little references, yes, definitely!

In general I really enjoy it when authors do things like that. It's like a nice little nod to the people who are superfans and read/watch their entire catalogue. I also enjoy it when they do that on TV shows and have actors make reference to other characters they've played. They did that on How I Met Your Mother with Rachel Bilson. One of the characters asked her if she'd ever dated nerd guys before and she made the "Summer" face and said "Almost exclusively." Haha! I think they also made a joke with Alyson Hannigan in the vampire episode of that show.

Um anyway I totally derailed but yes, I love little nods like that!
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »

No, I've not done it (that I'm aware of), but I love to see it in a story.  Like with the Stephen King one I'm reading, it's great seeing places and characters from one of his other books that I loved.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »

I haven't done it either, but I agree with Steph; it's fun to see other writers, like Stephen King, do it.  I love finding those little Easter eggs.

I think it's a little harder to do with fanfic characters because, as Steph pointed out, we use the same main characters in every story, and most of our original characters are their love interests, so it doesn't make much sense for them to exist in each other's stories.  It works better in Stephen King stories, since they almost all take place in Maine but have different characters - you can imagine Maine as this whole crazy Stephen King universe where they all exist and scary things happen to them LOL.

I don't think I've ever done it with my own characters, but I had the idea once to give cameos to my favorite original characters from other people's fanfics.  I never did it though; it was either an idea for a story I haven't written yet, or I changed my mind.  I don't even remember LOL.  In my collabs, though, we include cameos by characters from other stuff - 00Carter has Mulder and Scully from The X-Files in one episode and characters from ER in another; Song for the Undead is using characters from British zombie movies, 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead.  In that case, it's just a fun way to pay homage to the stuff that's inspired us.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2012, 03:44:10 PM »

Oh, I also realized that I always make Nick have this weird obsession with eating at Chili's. I don't know why I do that, as I'm pretty sure with the health kick he's been on lately, he would never eat there. But yeah... in every fic I've written, if they go to a restaurant, Nick is always really quick to want to go to Chili's and eat an awesome blossom, lol.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27