Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64223 times)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2012, 11:32:19 PM »

Aw thanks for all the Borrowed Time lovin'...  :-*

I don't know the title of it, but I read one once a long time ago - I think it was on AC but I'm not sure - kind of surrounding Nick's ADDish personality back then and the fact that he was really growing up with the BSB. I remember a specific scene where Nick had a pervy dream and didn't understand why he felt so horny afterwards and Kevin got woken up at 3am to explain sex to him all awkwardly LOL. It was a really long story but that particular scene stuck out so much, I've always kind of accepted it like it was true. LOL
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2012, 12:09:34 AM »

Thanks for the GR mention, Steph!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »

Just finished reading Come Together, it is a cute story. Not a favorite of mine but she did a great job with their personalities. Thanks for recommending it everyone!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2012, 05:54:53 AM »

Aw thanks for all the Borrowed Time lovin'...  :-*

I don't know the title of it, but I read one once a long time ago - I think it was on AC but I'm not sure - kind of surrounding Nick's ADDish personality back then and the fact that he was really growing up with the BSB. I remember a specific scene where Nick had a pervy dream and didn't understand why he felt so horny afterwards and Kevin got woken up at 3am to explain sex to him all awkwardly LOL. It was a really long story but that particular scene stuck out so much, I've always kind of accepted it like it was true. LOL

That sounds like one of those Marly stories possibly lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »

After reading the diverse answers some of you had, here is the question. How do you tend to characterize the guys when you write them? Give us a few descriptions for each guy and if you write a lot of female leads what characteristic s do you tend to give them?

Kevin
Howie
Brian
AJ
Nick

Kevin - Older brother, fatherly figure

Howie - Most of the time, he's just kind of there. I don't know why, but I can't write Howie that wel.

Brian - Conservative bible thumping church boy

AJ - total freak, funny, out going, dirty and perverted

Nick - funny, but serious.

Females - I always try to put a little of myself in each female lead... whether it's the fact that she's chubby, or her career, or the fact that she hates her father.

myconfession

« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »

Tonight's question:

Do you tend to include a lot of flashbacks or changes in points of view in your writing and if so, how do you go about letting the readers know it's happening?

In the latest stories I'm writing with Lisa (BiLittrell) we change POV's a good bit. We usually do it like this...

[Karsyn]

Story here

[/Karsyn]

Then a rule break.

For flashbacks, we usually blockquote them.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »

Tonight's question:

How do you come up with names for your original characters without them coming off sounding horribly Mary Sue like?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

Names....I usually go in a name book and pick one based on its meaning or just the first name that comes to mind. Like Brandy in Forces Of Nature came to me from the song "Brandy (you're a fine girl)" and having someone singing it to her just seemed to fit. Names are always hard for me to choose.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »

I steal last names from my real life friends, lol.

For first names, I usually just pick names I like. Actually, thinking back to all my female characters, they all have first names of people I've known too. I tend to just go with girls names that were popular when I was younger, I guess. That way they're not cliche. I think if anyone went through my Facebook friends list, you'd find all the first and last names I've used, haha.

Chris in Running Up That Hill is actually based off of someone I know in real life, who acts (and looks) very Nick-like. It just worked out that Nick IRL also has a friend named Chris.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »

I'm jumping back in lol.

I pick names usually from baby name sites, or just names I like. Depending on the character, I'll go out of my way to find something that fits. Like in Undead, Riley got her name cause honestly I wanted something somewhat tomboyish, yet sounded journalistic lol. Her middle name came cause it sounds southern haha. But seriously, I could easily hear in my head "This is Riley Blake with the evening news..." lol.

Or in Divine Intervention, I just thought an Angel named Grace was a great fit. Plus for the time period she was in when she was alive, it's old fashioned enough to work. But usually it's just names I like.

My biggest pet peeve are names that are spelled just weird, like if you want to use a name, use the normal spelling! Don't use Safyre instead of Sapphire. Hell, don't use a gem name period LOL. I mean of course the irony of this is that I have what would be a Mary Sue name in a fanfic, but most people don't have names like that. Or when people use part of their names in every story. Like someone named "Katie" writes a story about a "Katrina", and then a "Kelly", and then a "Kristy", etc. It's like if you're doing a self-insert, be less obvious lol. One similar name can be a coincidence, several is just announcing it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:54:41 PM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »

I don't like using my name in stories either. I only did it for Not The Other Guy, but Tracy in the story was kind of a villain. But for my stories I've noticed I do choose "A" names. Like Amber, or Amanda...I've also taken names from people on twitter. Renee. Alexis is my best friend's name and she is in Weird World.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »

I use names I like, but more importantly, names I'll actually remember lol I tend to go with very safe, boring names like Terry, Sarah, Sydney,Matt etc...  Not a fan of weird names or over the top thought out names where you can tell the person writing the story spent too much time trying to come up with a name. lol And I hate when girls are named after guys and guys are named after girls. yes, I'm looking at you Baylee & Ava Jaymes lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »

I like the Ava part of it lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »

I do too lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »

It's kinda weird that you guys mention the weird spelling thing, because I got told once that I used the mary-sue spelling of Ashley for Ashleigh in In Pieces. But actually, when I was going to school I knew more Ashleighs and Ashleys LOL so I thought that was the more common spelling.

Also, I liked the idea that 3/5 BSB wives would have some sort of "Leigh" in their name, haha.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27