Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64193 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2012, 05:38:36 AM »

Non BSB I would probably have to go with Hambelina because she is adorable lol

LOL Thanks, Mare!  I loved Hambelina in her limited story time too.

I think my fave character BSB wise is probably Curtain Call Nick, I think it's probably one of the most realistic portrayals of Nick these days. He's cocky, he knows exactly what his power over women is, he's a bit of an ass, but he's still our Nick lol. Random and everything else.

Thanks, Rose!  CC Nick came out so different than all the Nicks I'd written before, and hopefully that's because he was more realistic than the more sweet and sensitive version of Nick I've written in other stories.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:06 AM »

Tonight's Question:

What are some of your favorite group centered stories & why?

List a few group centered stories you have written. What do you enjoy most about writing these types of stories? If you don't write them, why?

Group centered means there really is no one Main lead but most of the boys play equally important roles. No females or original characters as leads either.

Two of my old favorite group stories are "Where Can We Go From Here?" and "Come Together."  We've already discussed CT in this thread, but I like WCWGFH for similar reasons - it does a great job showing the Boys' brotherly bond back in the good old days, this time in the face of tragedy.  Whereas CT is based on the real life story of how the group came together, WCWGFH is centered around a fictional bus crash and how they pick up the pieces afterwards.

I've read some great group stories recently on AC too.  Steph's "Running Up That Hill" is awesome because it shows four different points of view in every chapter, all of the guys except AJ, who is the catalyst of the whole story.  Mare's "Whatever the Night May Bring" also did an awesome job showing each of the guys' perspectives as they went through this crazy experience in a parallel universe.  Despite the sci-fi nature of the story, they are still the Backstreet Boys, and their bond never wavers.  Steph's "Save a Prayer" is another good one about the guys having to work together to survive in the jungle.  I love group stories where that bond between them is tested by some kind of tragedy, but still prevails.

The group stories I've written recently that don't contain original characters are mostly short stories for challenges, like "Hybrid" and "Watch Me as I Bleed/In Pieces."  I don't do a lot of stories, especially novels, that are just about the five guys in equal roles.  All five of them are always in my stories, but usually the focus is on one or two of them, and I often involve original characters as well.  I like writing about the guys' relationship, but more in the context of how it's either tested by tragedy or how it helps them get through a tragedy, usually something that has happened to one of them.  Original characters just allow me some more creative freedom and keep things interesting for me.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »

Thanks guys again for all Thr mentions and yes, Rose her name was Isobella lol I named her after my cat.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2012, 06:54:39 AM »

Today's question: while it's in my head lol

How did you come up with your pen name/screen name & if you were ever published would you use your real name?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2012, 07:10:43 AM »

My screenname comes from a name I used when I did Star Wars roleplay with some friends on myspace when myspace was the it thing. I had a whole backstory to my character, my name was Delphina Starlight. When I came to AC I was still going by Delphina so I used that name for almost everything. The Carter part came for obvious reasons.

When I was on Fanfiction.net my penname was Supergirl64 for a long time.

If I was ever published, not that it will happen any time in the future...not sure what name I would use. My last name seems kind of boring, I would probably make up a last name or something.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #245 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:04 AM »

I will get caught up on answering all the questions later, I just wanted to that you all so much for the Running Up That Hill love :) And thanks Julie for mentioning Nick from that one as your favourite BSB character!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2012, 08:31:53 AM »

How did you come up with your pen name/screen name & if you were ever published would you use your real name?

LOL on fanfic.net my sn was something along the lines of AngelofDarknes s if I remember right. Some stupid angsty teeny name LOL. So when they banned RP fanfic and I migrated over here to AC, I decided to keep it simple cause I was over it. I mean hell a lot of people think Rose is a nickname for a longer name in real life anyway lol. So yeah. It was just something no one used yet.

If I ever get published, I'm using my real name. First off cause I'll be too damn proud not to :P. Second, because honestly my name's too unique as it is I don't think I COULD come up with a good pen name lmao. I mean my name's Rose Smiley (just the last name's spelled differently as anyone who's met me in person/fb knows) for heaven's sake lol. That sounds like a pen name as it is right? So why not just use my real one.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:24 AM »

I think the only group centred stories I've written are Save A Prayer and Story of My Life, the rest probably have random other characters in them or are mainly Nick focused.

As for my favourites by others, I love Why I'd Do It All Again, Running Up That Hill, Ground Zero, A Million Little Things, Remember Me This Way and probably more but I can't think right now :)

Aww thanks Steph!

I swear this thread is just full of fluffy love lol.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

Remember Me This Way is definitely one of my choices for group story, I have so many I'd be listing all day. But def RMTW and Ground Zero for sure.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »

Thanks Tracy :)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:23 AM »

My penname was because I love penguins. I always have. So I shortened it to sound cool and it comes out Pengi. At the time when I made up the screen name, I just liked the way it sounded. Then I go on cruise and Steph informs me that "Pengi San" is actually the Japanese word for "The Penguin" and she thought that I knew that all along and I just felt so awesome because no really I had no clue. I have since used the name Pengi as my creative alter-ego in ever facet, including my Graphic Design work, where my "company name" is "Hello Pengi" and my catchphrase is "My name is Hannah but everyone calls me Pengi" and my logo's a Penguin. I've already published Graphic Design work using the name Pengi and I completely intend to publish under the name Pengi - no lastname! - if/when I ever get published. But it won't be a secret what my real name is, either. More like J.K.Rowling, whose real name is common knowledge. Everyone at my college knew me as Pengi. One kid had no clue my name WASN'T Pengi and got all confused at graduation and was like "wait.... that's a NICKNAME? Seriously?" cos everyone there called me that all the time. LOL
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »

When I first started with my website online I was kind of embarassed at what I was doing so I wanted to hide behind a different name.  I had another site where I did the same thing, hid behind an alter ego but that site died before CYDMR came along. 

As a group the girls of CYDMR are Purple Lipstick which has a connection to Nick in a dream a friend of mine had which consisted of a certain part of Nick being a tube of purple lipstick in her dream.  I am sure you can figure out which part.  So to tell us apart on the site I decided that each girl would have their individual name be purple in another language so that we all really were still Purple Lipstick :) 

I would definitely NOT use that name in publishing, I don't wan to explain that! LOL. 

I am using Lorena Lee to publish.  It is my first and middle name... When I first decided I wanted to work on a book to publish I was already married and did NOT want to use Williams as there are several Williams' already.  I shelved books, I saw this.  So I was going to use my maiden name when I published because there were no authors with that last name that I saw on the shelves.  I told hubby and he seemed upset that I wasn't going to use his last name but opted for my maiden name.  To remedy I decided no last name, just first and middle. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »

When I submitted my first fanfic to be hosted on a website, I was only 14 and had been warned about the dangers of giving your real info out online, so I made up a pen name.  At the time, I was more worried about my friends, who were all still BSB fans at the time, finding my story than I was about To Catch a Predator type people.  Nowadays, it's more my students I'd be worried about finding my stuff!  I picked an ordinary-sounding name so that no one would even suspect it was a pen name.  Julie was the name of this girl I was jealous of because she was going out with the guy I liked LOL, and I think Lewis was just the first last name that popped into my head, although it may have been the character Susan Lewis from "ER" that inspired it.

As far as RokofAges75, that's been my screenname for all things BSB/fanfic-related for almost as long, since 2000.  It's completely Brian-related, since he's always been my favorite.  He got that Rock of Ages tattoo, so I combined that with his nickname and 75 for the year he was born.

If I got published, I think it would depend on what kind of material I was publishing, but if it were anything I would be embarrassed to think my students, colleagues, or RL friends might read, I'd probably stick with a pen name.  It's weird considering how much we share of ourselves on here, but I'm super reserved about my writing in real life, to the point that no one but my family even knows I do it.  Maybe the honor of being published would give me the confidence boost I'd need to share my writing with other people, but somehow I doubt it!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »

My screen name is quite easy, we all know the Carter part, but the Orange part is after Jason Orange from Take That, who is my other boyband love :)

(For anyone who doesn't know him)

I decided to use a name like that rather than my real name because I didn't want anyone seeing what I'd posted.  No one knows about my writing, not even my closest friends (they are the ones I'd dread finding my stuff).  I was known as Steph4Jason on another site.

If I ever published anything, I'd go back to my name before I got married, or maybe Stephanie Jane (which is my first name and middle name).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:01:35 AM by Carter-Orange »

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

Lots of questions to answer...

What are some of your favorite group centered stories & why?

I definitely love Why I'd Do It All Again and A Million Little Things by Mare. Those are stories that I've gone back and revisited numerous times just because they're so well written. Mare does a great job of getting inside the boys' heads and creating fiction around real life events. They're really fun reads that flow really well. I just love them.

List a few group centered stories you have written. What do you enjoy most about writing these types of stories? If you don't write them, why?

Running Up That Hill is the first time I've really tried to write something about the group that's longer than a one-shot. It's fun because I get to transport myself back to that time and really dig deep into what the boys might have been thinking. I try to connect that time with little hints as to what would happen in the future for the boys themselves and as a group. It's an interesting project and character study for me.

What's your favorite character (one BSB one original) from someone else's story?

Lately it's been Brian in Borrowed Time. Hannah does an amazing job at getting in Brian's head and creating the build up to him needing his heart surgery. He's an extremely sympathetic character, and for me, that's really hard to do with Brian because sometimes he just bothers me. But in this story it's very easy to see why he's going through what he's going through and it's very realistic. If I were to guess how Brian was back in 1998, I'd say he'd be like this.

Original character... I'm going to go with Cary from Curtain Call. Julie did an excellent job in crafting her back story so that she fits perfectly into Nick's situation, but she's also her own character and her own person enough that she doesn't just seem like a plot point. She's so different than the type of girl I normally read about Nick associating with that I couldn't help but root for her and Nick to get together haha. But honestly, she's just a very real, very well developed character.

Oh God LOL. First of all, my old penname from the FanFiction.net days is horrid and amazing. It was sNICKers. And I still use it to post Avatar fiction sometimes. I'm sure people on there wonder why the hell the NICK is capitalized. God, what a dorky nickname lol. I don't even know how or why my 13 year old self decided on that.

For Sakabelle... it's kind of weird. I've used this name for everything for nearly ten years. It's actually two parts. The "Saka" comes from my love of pink... my old anime nickname used to be Sakura (those pink cherry blossom flowers they have in Japan and use excessively in girls comics.) The "belle" is a shortened version of my medieval roleplay persona, Annabelle De Riston, from when I used to be into that. I merged the two because I created a LiveJournal and I had friends on there from both groups. I like the name and I've stuck with it for everything ever since. Even though I'm not really involved with either of those crowds anymore. It's really easy to find anything and everything I've ever done by this name, including AC, which my real life friends have discovered more than once. To counter that, when I started posting more Avatar stuff on FanFiction.net, I didn't use sNICKers or Sakabelle because a lot of my RL friends go on that site and I never, ever wanted them to find my Avatar stuff. So I created an entire fake alias, fake name, fake back story. I even changed my age I was so terrified of them finding out it was me! It's the same one I use for 1DFF too because if anyone ever found that, I would probably die. I could live with people finding my BSB fic I think... but not that.

I'd probably go by my real name, Stephanie Ives, if I got published. Don't see a reason not to. If I ever got published no way I'd be able to keep my mouth shut about it, so I might as well use my real name! lol

Or actually, if I got published writing trashy romance novels, I'd use my first name and the Italian version of my mom's maiden name - Bevacqua. Stephanie Bevacqua sounds like a good trashy romance novelist name. Haha!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:49:27 PM by Sakabelle »
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27