Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Question of the day part 3 :)  (Read 30228 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 3 :)
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

I get ideas for stories all the time from all over the place. Usually when I'm listening to music. The college idea came to me while listening to Asher Roth actually. I thought it would be a neat idea and I haven't seen a story like that in a while.

Picking ideas is usually easy, I will talk it over with my best friend and go from there. If I decide to write it, I play around with the idea and make up characters.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »

Here's a fun one... how far do you take your hatred of someone when it comes to fan fiction? (ie: Leighanne or even a BSB fan).

Figured that would bust out the clowns and rainbows.

Not far, it's just fiction. So you know whatever happens it's not real. At least, as long as you portray the person realistically without making anything up about the person in question. I would never make up stuff about anyone and put it in a fic. If I write someone in, I write them true to life. What happens after that is purely fictional, though, obviously. I'm sure some may or may not like what they see about themselves of course.

Though... it does lead to the quote in my siggy.

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." - Anonymous

It's well known that authors write what they know at least somewhat, whether it's places, or people. Sometimes in a flattering way where good things happen to the person, sometimes bad things happen. Well known authors do it, as do nobodies. Otherwise it wouldn't even be a quote.

It's harmless really.

For example - in a round robin parody, Nick dies in every chapter. Do I hate him? No. Do I want him to die? No. It's all done in humor and fun. :) Isn't that the point of fiction?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »

Here's a fun one... how far do you take your hatred of someone when it comes to fan fiction? (ie: Leighanne or even a BSB fan).

Figured that would bust out the clowns and rainbows.

Maybe even double rainbows!

It's no big secret that I get a kick out of basing characters on the real "characters" I've encountered both online and in real life.  I also enjoy giving celebrities I don't like, such as Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton, unflattering cameos in my stories.

Isn't fanfic fun?  :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

Not taking sides here but just as an example, in one of my stories I had Lauren murdered....do esn't mean I want that to happen. I don't hate her nor do I wish death on her by any means....it was just for the purpose of the story.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »

Maybe even double rainbows!

It's no big secret that I get a kick out of basing characters on the real "characters" I've encountered both online and in real life.  I also enjoy giving celebrities I don't like, such as Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton, unflattering cameos in my stories.

Isn't fanfic fun?  :)

Yup and we've both been murdered in a fic. That's the joy in it, I laughed so hard at our deaths LOL. It's just great to see what creative minds can come up with.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »

Not taking sides here but just as an example, in one of my stories I had Lauren murdered....do esn't mean I want that to happen. I don't hate her nor do I wish death on her by any means....it was just for the purpose of the story.

Oh yeah, killing people in stories isn't a sign of hating them.  In my stories, killing is usually a sign of love, honestly!  I only hurt the ones I love LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »

Oh yeah, killing people in stories isn't a sign of hating them.  In my stories, killing is usually a sign of love, honestly!  I only hurt the ones I love LOL.

Or people/celebrities that are really well known. Really, it says a lot about the person.

myconfession

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

Not far, it's just fiction. So you know whatever happens it's not real. At least, as long as you portray the person realistically without making anything up about the person in question. I would never make up stuff about anyone and put it in a fic. If I write someone in, I write them true to life. What happens after that is purely fictional, though, obviously. I'm sure some may or may not like what they see about themselves of course.

Though... it does lead to the quote in my siggy.

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." - Anonymous

It's well known that authors write what they know at least somewhat, whether it's places, or people. Sometimes in a flattering way where good things happen to the person, sometimes bad things happen. Well known authors do it, as do nobodies. Otherwise it wouldn't even be a quote.

It's harmless really.

For example - in a round robin parody, Nick dies in every chapter. Do I hate him? No. Do I want him to die? No. It's all done in humor and fun. :) Isn't that the point of fiction?

Well here's the thing, you should probably take your own advice then and follow your own set of rules you came up with yourself. Talk about skirting rules.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »

Well here's the thing, you should probably take your own advice then and follow your own set of rules you came up with yourself. Talk about skirting rules.

I believe I did. Not to mention, this really isn't the place to start drama. If you'd like to have a discussion about fanfic, then we should discuss it here. Anything else, I'd rather not. You can do that with yourself. :).

myconfession

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »

I believe I did. Not to mention, this really isn't the place to start drama. If you'd like to have a discussion about fanfic, then we should discuss it here. Anything else, I'd rather not. You can do that with yourself. :).

No... you didn't. I was discussing fan fiction and the thoughts and actions one takes when writing a story. But then I read your line of crap and laughed.  :D

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »

No... you didn't. I was discussing fan fiction and the thoughts and actions one takes when writing a story. But then I read your line of crap and laughed.  :D

You accused me of skirting rules in a thread to discuss fanfic.

I really don't want to continue this Karah. So please don't insult me on what is usually a peaceful forum.

myconfession

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »

You accused me of skirting rules in a thread to discuss fanfic.

I really don't want to continue this Karah. So please don't insult me on what is usually a peaceful forum.

OKay, I won't. Maybe I should just go write a crappy fan fiction about you dying but giving you a totally different name. Because THAT's mature.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »

OKay, I won't. Maybe I should just go write a crappy fan fiction about you dying but giving you a totally different name. Because THAT's mature.

Once again, don't insult me. I don't call your fanfiction crappy or anything. I would appreciate it if you give me the same respect on here if nowhere else. If you have an issue, please keep it out of this thread. We were having a nice discussion till you brought in all this. I refuse to do this here.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »

Ok, enough. Back on topic.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

So here is my question I've been thinking about.

When you want to write a new story, how do you get ideas? What is your process for choosing one to actually go ahead and write?

When I come up with an idea, I usually sit on it for a few days before I commit to it. If it won't go away then I'll write a few chapters. At that point if I make the decision to commit, I go for it. This Scattered pictures story is the exception. I got the idea while napping & quickly wrote Kevin's story within two hours lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10