Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Question of the day part 3 :)  (Read 30246 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 3 :)
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »

LMAO I know, right?  When I was in college, I had my laptop password-protected and my fanfic folders and bookmarks hidden, and I regularly deleted my search history because I was so paranoid about my roommate or other friends seeing that stuff if they got on my computer.  It's nice to live alone and not have to worry about that anymore!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »

Thank god no one usually ever uses my computer. I'd have to hide SO much, especially my bookmarks LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »

I'm afraid to let people use my phone for this reason. stuff I have saved lmao

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »

LOL I have to watch that with my Kindle now, because I have more fanfics than real books on it, including some of my own, and my internet history is mainly these forums LOL.  I don't want someone to be like, "Ooh, what are you reading?" and open up Curtain Call or something LOL.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »

So glad I have my own computer LOL. Like I mentioned before the weirdest thing I probably came across was that cocaine-related sex forum.

Though, I will admit it was helpful! I don't think I've found anything weirder than that...yet.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »

I always feel slightly creepy when I use forums to research, but they are so helpful because they give you a personal view of things.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2012, 05:21:24 AM »

OK, I've got a question, a crappy question, but it's still a question.  Roughly how long does it take you to write a chapter?

Sometimes, up to a year lol Awww I fail.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »

Sometimes, up to a year lol Awww I fail.

LOL Awww. It just makes it extra special when you update is all.  ;)
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »

So here is my question I've been thinking about.

When you want to write a new story, how do you get ideas? What is your process for choosing one to actually go ahead and write?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 10:59:37 AM »

I just wait until an idea pops into my head, then I think about it for a little while and type up a few bits of information.  If it seems like something I'll be able to keep focused on, I'll go ahead and write and see what happens.

As for the whole hiding the browsing history etc, I have my laptop password protected and I lock it whenever I'm not using it in case the kids happen to look at it.  They don't use my laptop, but I've set up a profile for them just in case they ever ask to use it, and my stuff isn't accessible from that profile.  My phone is password protected too, so they can't go through it and see my tweets, Facebook, this place.  In work no one else uses my computer, but I clear my history every day and don't have any documents on that machine.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »

Whenever I get a story idea, I type it up in a Word document and save it.  Sometimes I'll go ahead and outline, develop characters, research, and make notes for when I'm ready to write it.  Other times it just sits there as a vague idea until I'm ready to take it further.  If it's an idea I can't get out of my head, I might go ahead and play around with writing a beginning, but I only post the ones I can't stop writing.  I try not to have too many unfinished projects online at once, although I've been really bad at following that rule the last couple of years.

I don't have any special process for getting ideas.  The best ones are the ones that just strike like lightning, out of nowhere.  But when I don't have those inspired moments, I've succeeded in forcing ideas by deciding on a genre or type of story I want to write and just thinking on it until I can pull an idea together.  Secrets of the Heart and Guilty Roads were both conceived that way, whereas Curtain Call was the inspired lightning strike.  I tend to have better luck writing the lightning strike ideas because they don't feel so forced and contrived.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

So here is my question I've been thinking about.

When you want to write a new story, how do you get ideas? What is your process for choosing one to actually go ahead and write?

I actually have a folder with various docs of story ideas I've come up with in the past. If I finish a fic, I'll pick from there. More often than not though, I end up getting inspired on a whim. And if the story challenges me, I noticed I tend to run with it a lot better than anything else LOL. JAD, RMTW, and now HWS, all had something new at the table in some way or another. I'm not claiming any of them, (well definitely not JAD) are amazing, but it's why it was written at a steady pace.

And then with collab ideas, it seems I get them a LOT lmao. Especially with Julie. We have a bunch of ideas we want to do once the day comes that we actually do finish Undead. :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:20:52 AM by Rose »

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »

^ That's exactly how I am.  And most of our collab ideas have come from jokes!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »

^ That's exactly how I am.  And most of our collab ideas have come from jokes!

Our collab ideas are epic LOL. That's why they come from our fun but insensitive jokes!

myconfession

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »

Here's a fun one... how far do you take your hatred of someone when it comes to fan fiction? (ie: Leighanne or even a BSB fan).

Figured that would bust out the clowns and rainbows.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10