Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Question of the day part 3 :)  (Read 30592 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 3 :)
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »

Yay bot flies!!

I think the most random things I've researched have been for 00Carter.  I have pages bookmarked in my 00Carter folder on the following topics:

Alarm clock detonators
The Bavarian State Library
The Magic Kingdom's underground complex
How to make a pipe bomb (I may want to delete this one)
Parts of a pirate ship
Branches of the Public Health Agency of Canada
Roots: The Book that Changed America
Skunk Ape Research Headquarters
Full text of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"
A Mandinka-English Dictionary
YouTube videos of figure skating routines by Kim Yu-Na, South Korean Olympic gold medalist
How Zambonis work
36-Million-Year-Old Giant Peruvian Penguin
Wikipedia page entitled "Nick Carter-Killmaster"
WikiAnswers page entitled "Can platypuses kill people?"

I'll leave it up to you to decide which is the weirdest LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »

Going back to my question from yesterday, I've had it in my head for years that I'm going to rewrite Broken as an original novel with the goal of trying to publish it.  I know exactly how I would de-Backstreetize it, while still keeping the elements that made the storyline work as a fanfic:  Make Nick a good-looking, popular, high school star athlete, put the other guys in as his friends, and keep Claire essentially the same, just younger.  I've had those details figured out all along, but I keep changing my mind about basic things, like what POV to write it in and where it should take place.  As a result, I've started writing four different versions of it over the past six summers and have never gotten more than a few chapters written.  Fail.  For a story that basically wrote itself the first time around, rewriting is a lot harder than I thought it would be!  But I like the idea enough that I'll just keep it around until the right inspiration strikes or I come up with a better novel idea.  If I ever did get Broken rewritten, the characters and the relationships they have with each other would be similar to fanfic Broken, and the basic storyline would be the same, just in a different setting, but I'd leave out the subplots that made Broken so long and write it in a better, less-cheesy way.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »

Julie I forgot about researching the underground of Disney! Man I remember writing that part and using that research....

I researched past lives ... and points in history neither are very weird.  I did research movies starring Elvis made in Hawaii and the costume director of Blue Hawaii when I decided on that one so that I had an actual person to base it off of.  I researched Hitler before WWII and came upon the doctor who cured his eyesight after WWI and researched him for Chronos Project... clothing styles of different eras again nothing that strange that I can recall researching. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

myconfession

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »

Yay bot flies!!

I think the most random things I've researched have been for 00Carter.  I have pages bookmarked in my 00Carter folder on the following topics:

Alarm clock detonators
The Bavarian State Library
The Magic Kingdom's underground complex
How to make a pipe bomb (I may want to delete this one)
Parts of a pirate ship
Branches of the Public Health Agency of Canada
Roots: The Book that Changed America
Skunk Ape Research Headquarters
Full text of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"
A Mandinka-English Dictionary
YouTube videos of figure skating routines by Kim Yu-Na, South Korean Olympic gold medalist
How Zambonis work
36-Million-Year-Old Giant Peruvian Penguin
Wikipedia page entitled "Nick Carter-Killmaster"
WikiAnswers page entitled "Can platypuses kill people?"

I'll leave it up to you to decide which is the weirdest LOL.

There were Skunk Ape sightings around here about two years ago.... We had stories about it in our newspaper that I work at LMAO!

myconfession

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »

Weirdest things I've researched is if guys like the smell of their own farts.

Don't ask LMFAO It was for a scene that never really panned out in one of my stories.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

Follow up to the research question:  What's the weirdest thing you've stumbled onto accidentally while researching?

Like for my medical dramas, I always seem to find veterinary sites instead of human medical info, or I find fetishy stuff.  Researching for Broken introduced me to the wonderful world of "devotees" and "wannabes," and I also learned there's a CPR fetish and a sneeze fetish.  Pretty sure there's a fetish for everything.  People are weird LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »

There were Skunk Ape sightings around here about two years ago.... We had stories about it in our newspaper that I work at LMAO!

Funny!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »

I researched some videos on youtube when I came up with a death for 1000 Ways to kill Nick Carter, I watched several videos on safety when deep frying a turkey outside, what not to do. There was a video of it just exploding....I thought to myself "yeah Nick would be one to try this" LOL.

For my college story I've been researching fraternities and pledge rituals. Some of the hazing is pretty interesting, a kid died from being made to chug water and drowned to death. Also looked up latex allergies and what happens to the victim when they are in contact with latex.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »

I did come across some gross and weird bug stuff when looking up the bot flies, the pictures made me feel a little sick lol.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »

Here's a question... What's the weirdest thing you've ever found yourself researching for a story?

For example, when I wrote Fear of Flying, I looked up Llama mating habits.

Probably the reasons a zombie outbreak would fail...which led to the idea of us having exploding zombies LMFAO. So I guess looking up how a rotting body pops after awhile if it reanimated qualifies LOL. http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly_p2.html

That, or the videos I have bookmarked of people in a grand mal seizure, that's pretty disturbing to watch. But, it led to me writing it as accurately as possible.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:00:17 PM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2012, 04:01:54 PM »

LOL The lengths we'll go to for accuracy.  Steph, I'm sure the bot fly pics would trigger my gag reflex too!  I'm not grossed out easily, but just the mental picture I got reading that scene freaked me out!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »

I know, but it's fun seeing where google takes you! LMAO. Although that one was Sarah's fault :P.

OMG I'd gag at the bot fly pics too, as it was, those pics of decomposing pigs almost got me to gag too, and I'm not one to really get there easily.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

I think pics of decomposing pigs would make me gag too, lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »

You guys are gross!! I mean that in a loving way of course!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

I personally love how we can discuss these kind of things and I know I won't be judged lol. If people saw some of the things I look up they'd be WTF is wrong with her lmao
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10