Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121826 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »

I have a desktop, a netbook/laptop, and a Kindle Fire, and I prefer doing everything but reading on my desktop.  The screen is bigger, the keyboard is easier to type on, and it has a real mouse - that's a big one.  I hate, hate, HATE the touchpad mouse.  But sometimes I have better luck writing on my netbook because I can take it wherever I want and because I get less distracted on it - I don't have any music or videos or pictures saved on it and only a few websites bookmarked, and it's not as easy to surf the net on it, so I don't do it as often.

I can't imagine writing on my Kindle, let alone my phone!  Actually, my phone might be slightly easier because it at least has a keyboard instead of a touch screen, but just texting or tweeting takes long enough that I can't imagine how slow I would be at writing.  I'm sure you get used to it, and your phone's probably better than mine, Tracy, but wow... I give you props for that!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:25:28 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »

I have a Blackberry Curve. It isn't the best or the most advanced phone, doesn't have a touch screen or anything but it works good for me. I write literally everything on it.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »

I write best when I have a day off and I can kind of warm up in the morning, take a break to let it stew, and come back to it around mid-afternoon into the evening. Once I get on a roll, though, I have problems because I forget what time it is. Like last night, I got on a roll writing and suddenly it was 4am and my alarm clock was set for 6. UGH. But other than moments like that, I like the way my writing works! LOL

I write on my lap top, laying in bed. I don't have a desk top, and I can hardly even write a short email on my phone not to mention creative stuff, jeez. lol

And as for my room mate... OY VEY. "Not modest" is probably the understatement of the millennia. I have never wanted to scratch my eyeballs out more. LOL .... I literally could not look at her again after "the incident". I still have nightmares about that chick, holy crap.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

We'll have to make sure no one is roommate-less for the next cruise!  That whole roommate match program didn't work out well for anyone I know who did it LOL.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »

I have a very specific setup for my computer that I can't live without.

I only have a laptop, I don't have my desktop plugged in, it's just sitting in a closet somewhere. But I've got a real mouse attached to it and have disabled the touchpad because I hate it so much. I also have a second monitor that I use for things like iTunes, twitter (big focus fail right there) and yahoo/msn chatting. When I am writing I try to have the chapter up on my main screen and then have my other distractions up on the second monitor. I usually don't get any writing done unless I have no one to chat to and twitter is dead, but it is nice to have it for when I'm writing and need to watch a video at the same time for reference, or just to have my iTunes up :)

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »

At work I write on a desktop but at home I only have my laptop.  I also have real mouse and have disabled the touchpad, my palm is always hitting it and navigating away from where I want to be if I don't. The screen on my laptop is pretty large so it's not too bad and the keys on the keyboard stick up more than other types.  I have to be able to feel the keys, weird and not really a good description but I do. 

oooh a second monitor, I do have one sitting here, wonder how to hook it up to my laptop. Can I hook it up to my laptop?  It might be the solution to my roving mind at home.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »

You definitely can! I have mine hooked up to my laptop. All you have to do is plug the monitor cord into the laptop and then under your display settings choose "extend my desktop" and voila! It's the best. I'd never be able to go back to one monitor.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:55 PM »

I have dual monitors at work and it really is awesome! :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »

I've got my laptop, tablet and phone but use my laptop for writing.  I did type up a bit of my story for Revenge of the Slaughtered on my phone as the idea came to me whilst I was getting ready for bed and my phone is next to my bed (I use it as an alarm clock too). 

I've got dual monitors in work, which is handy, but at home I've always just got my laptop on my knee, so can't really plug my spare monitor in.  If I did that, I'd never write a thing, lol.  I sometimes plug my TV into the laptop though.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »

I have a question: Have you ever read someone's story because the person was your friend or a reader? What makes you decide to read something?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »

When I first came to AC I just read everything because I didn't know anyone. Now that I've been here a while I know the authors that I like and I will probably be more likely to read something of theirs just because I've liked what they've done in the past. I've clicked into my reviewers profiles before and read their stories. That's how I started reading Casual, actually! I figure if they're reviewing my story, which is something I enjoy writing, then it's possible they could be writing something that I'd enjoy reading! But honestly if I'm scrolling through most recent and something looks interesting, I'll read it. I guess I'm saying I'm more likely to take a chance on something from an author I've liked in the past.

On 1DFF I pretty much exclusively read my friends stuff just because I always know it's going to be quality and I can't be bothered to fish through most recent.

~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »

That's how I was when I first started here. I read everything because I liked it. I'm the same way now. I have friends that I don't read, and I have ones that I do...but my personal preference for the person doesn't change my opinion on their writing.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »

When I first started to get into fanfic, I just basically read a little of everything to see what was out there that I liked. I don't really go by who writes things. I do that more for books then fanfic. I am much pickier for fanfic as i've said a lot before.

There are fanfic authors I love who I think are incredibly talented, but if it's not a story I am interested, I don't read it. It's never personal or anything, just a matter of taste. I may love you to death but if you are writing a love story, or something I know I won't find interesting, i'm not going to read it.

Just like I don't expect anyone to read my stories if they aren't enjoying them or if it's not something you'd like. One of my biggest peeves is when someone reads your story just in hopes that you'll read theirs and once they figure out you aren't going to, they randomly stop reviewing and reading lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

I love you guys for coming up with these questions!! Keep them coming, I love this thread!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »

My answer falls along the same lines as everyone else's.  I have my favorite authors, and a lot of those people I consider friends, but in most cases, we became friends through reading each other's stories and giving feedback, rather than reading each other's stories because we were friends.  Like Steph said, I am more likely to check out stories by friends and favorite authors whose stuff I've enjoyed in the past, but I will read anything that looks interesting to me, no matter who wrote it.  Along the same lines as what Mare said, I don't automatically read every story written by my friends or favorite authors.  Like Tracy, I have some friends who I respect as fellow writers, but I don't think I've read any of their stories or maybe just one.  There are others I read more regularly, but I don't think there's any one writer whose full collection of stories I've read.

I would never expect someone to read any or all of my stories just because they were my friend, either.  I've read stories out of a feeling of obligation before, and aside from the summer reading challenge, it takes the fun out of it.  i prefer to read what I want to read because I want to read it, not because someone made me feel guilty for not reading it.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49