Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121873 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

I don't think that has happened to me, but I feel the same. I don't expect anyone to read just because they like me. I want them to read just because they enjoy my work.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »

You know that got me realizing that just about every single person I talk to from fanficland I have met because of sending feedback and getting author responses from them and then starting a dialogue as a result. Bonding through reviews lol I just realized that. Back in the day before you could just respond to reviews, we had to actually take the time to email each other. Remember those days?

The importance of responding to people's reviews! LOL

How did you meet most of your fanfic friends?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »

I met most of you through reading your stories and then we connected on twitter :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

When I first joined here, I read loads to stuff, some I didn't even like but left reviews out of politeness.  I began to discover the authors I liked through reading everything, and I usually stick with those same authors as long as the story is something I like.

But I will check out new authors, or people I've not read before if I think I might like it, even if I don't know the author.

I wouldn't read something just because I'm friends with someone, and I wouldn't expect a friend to read mine.  I know it all comes down to taste and I wouldn't be offended if a friend thought my stuff wasn't for them.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

I will read stories by authors that review my stories.  If they are enjoying my story I feel I should check out what they've written to see if I like it too. I have found some great authors and friends that way.  I don't expect other authors to do the same though, I don't leave you a review for you to go read mine.  Sure I wouldn't mind if you did, I can't deny that but if you don't you don't.   

I also scroll the most recent page and will read stories that look interesting no matter who wrote it.  I might start a story because a friend wrote it, but if I'm not enjoying I won't continue just because they are my friend, as I expect they wouldn't read mine if they weren't enjoying just because we were friends.

I met most of them through this forum but twitter has helped me get to know some better.  I knew Erika from here but we got better acquanted over twitter, same with Saka-Steph and UK Steph.  I got to know a lot of authors better when I joined 00Carter too, I hardly knew any authors when I joined collaboration.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »

That's so true, Mare.  Almost all of my pre-2007 fanfic friends I met by exchanging feedback through email, which led to IM conversations and friendships that went beyond the reader/writer relationship.  I started a forum for my site in November 2006, and shortly after that, this forum was created and I joined here, and I've made a lot more friends through both, as well as Twitter.  Forums and social media sites make it so much easier to have discussions with groups of people, not just one on one through email or IM, so I've made a lot of connections through mutual friends.  And with big BSB events like the cruise and most fans being older and able to travel farther for shows, it's become easier to meet in person and have a friendship outside of the internet as well.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #321 on: July 21, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »

I got to know a lot of authors better when I joined 00Carter too, I hardly knew any authors when I joined collaboration.

This is very true too.  00Carter is how I got to know you, Mel, Kelly, Dee, and Nijntje.  I met Rose the same way, just through Code Blue a year or so earlier.  The only co-writers I really knew before that were Sarah, Gozde, and Veronica, from reading each other's stories or hosting them on my site.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:50:59 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #322 on: July 21, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »

I bonded with Julilly over our quest to stop Tanja from plagiarizing all our stories LOL.  That was right around the same time this forum was started.  Good times!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #323 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:56 PM »

Met most of them through the forum here and through reviews on the site. Either by talking with you guys on here or opening a dialogue through reading/reviewing stories. As I mentioned in my last post that's how I became friends with Darby - because she was reading My Happy Ending and I was reading Casual! And the same with Dani I was reading Unsuspecting and she was reading my stories.

And of course there is twitter where I've been able to talk more with people. I've had a couple of people seek me out on twitter because they liked my stories and have become really good friends with them. I think twitter is really good for that sort of communication.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #324 on: July 21, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »

Tanja, bringing people together lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #325 on: July 21, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »

I bonded with Julilly over our quest to stop Tanja from plagiarizing all our stories LOL.  That was right around the same time this forum was started.  Good times!

I still have a copy of the monstrous file of evidence that I mailed to the UK as part of that whole thing lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #326 on: July 21, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »

Tanja, bringing people together lol

Hell, even a certain person whose username starts with M was on our side with that one, and we hardly agreed on anything!  I guess nothing is worse than a plagiarist.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #327 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »

I still have a copy of the monstrous file of evidence that I mailed to the UK as part of that whole thing lol

I think I have all our emails back and forth about that.  That was crazy, but kind of fun, not gonna lie LOL.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #328 on: July 21, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »

I think I have all our emails back and forth about that.  That was crazy, but kind of fun, not gonna lie LOL.

I felt like a lawyer! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »

I remember that whole Tanja thing, she had taken her stuff to twitter. I think that's when Julie and I started talking actually.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49