Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121823 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #390 on: July 22, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »

So, next logical question for everyone:  What are some of those pivotal parts you've written that you're most proud of?

Nick and Ashleigh meeting up for dinner again in In Pieces after having not seen each other for eight years: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8805&chapter=11

Nick's proposal to her in the sequel: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8870&chapter=25

Brian's intervention in Nick's Dirty Kicks: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10893&chapter=2

*sings* One of these things is not like the other...
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #391 on: July 22, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »

On average, how long does it take you guys to finish a story?  (A novel, not a one-shot.)

Part of my problem is that I write these epically long stories that take YEARS to finish, and I think that's why I've accumulated so many projects.  It's hard to work on one thing exclusively for that long.  And then I finish one of those big stories and have all these ideas I've collected in the meantime and can't decide which one to start next, and that's when the WADD flares up.

Depends on how focused I am on it. Like "Here We Stand" is a novella, but I'm focused on it so it shouldn't take long, maybe a month, max. "Walked Out Of My Dreams" is also a novella (just 20 chapters instead of ten lol) but I haven't focused on it so it's taken me longer. RMTW I was definitely focused in on and even with blocks it only took me a year, JAD took me six months. So yeah, it's very dependent on my focus.

So, next logical question for everyone:  What are some of those pivotal parts you've written that you're most proud of?

RMTW I'm rather proud of. I really am happy with how I wrote his lapses and his progression. I feel like my best writing shines in that story thus far. I think it comes off realistically, and I also am proud of writing his relationship with each of the Boys. I kept it different enough but made sure no one was forgotten or overshadowed.

I'm also proud of Undead, but not for the gore believe it or not LOL. It's the first time in awhile that I've written romance as a subplot, which I feel is the best use for romance. But that's another tangent. I've developed the story of Nick and Riley and their relationship in the face of an apocalyptic world, and I think their scenes are pretty good. It's also the first sex scene I've written in years. It tested me in ways I wasn't thinking of when I first signed on to do a zombie fic with my ZDR lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #392 on: July 22, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »

LOL I'm so too lazy to go pull specific scenes with links. :P

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2012, 11:25:02 PM »

I think Curtain Call is the only novel under 100 chapters that I've finished in nine years, and that was still 90 chapters LOL.  Secrets of the Heart is only going to be 25 chapters max, and I kind of can't believe it because it's been so long since I've written such a normal-lengthed story! LOL  I'm glad to know it's still possible!

My goal is to pare my list back to just one main project of my own before I post any new stories.  The collabs and round robins and stuff make good side projects because they don't usually take up a lot of my time, but I'm not good at balancing more than one story on my own.  I don't see anything wrong with playing around with other ideas when inspiration strikes, but I just need to have more self control when it comes to keeping them to myself.  Steph, I like your rule of only posting one in-progress story at a time.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #394 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:08 PM »

Nick and Ashleigh meeting up for dinner again in In Pieces after having not seen each other for eight years: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8805&chapter=11

Nick's proposal to her in the sequel: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8870&chapter=25

Brian's intervention in Nick's Dirty Kicks: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10893&chapter=2

*sings* One of these things is not like the other...

LMAO That Nick's Dirty Kicks story was so amazingly epic!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #395 on: July 22, 2012, 11:28:36 PM »

LOL I like Steph's rule too. I'm just unable to put it into practice with FF. OF I apparently have no problem with since it's ten chapters in and sitting on my computer unread by anyone but myself.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #396 on: July 22, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »

LMAO That Nick's Dirty Kicks story was so amazingly epic!

LMAO thanks.

And yeah, the posting one story at a time (per site, apparently) rule does sort of work. It does make the guilt factor to work on those stories stronger if nothing else, which can be a good and bad thing.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »

These are the chapters that come to mind when I think of pivotal parts I've written.

Chapter 106 of Broken - the choppage chapter
I don't think my writing is anything spectacular in this chapter, but I've always remembered the chapter number because it was such a pivotal moment in the story, and I put so much pressure on myself leading up to it that actually writing it was kind of intense.

Chapter 196 of By My Side - the car accident aftermath
I remember planning this part in the shower of my college dorm while I was still writing Broken, and it took me four years to actually get to the point where I could write it.  Four years is a LONG time to have this sequence playing in my head LOL.  This is one part that actually turned out as good or better than it was in my head.  It's over the top and a little cheesy at times (*cough*Nickelback*cough*), but that's BMS for ya LOL.  I still like it.  Writing it was an adrenaline rush, and reading it still gives me that rush.

Chapter 31 of Song for the Undead - the first zombie scene
This was another part I felt a lot of pressure to deliver on because it was the first zombie part in a story that we had not promoted as a zombie story.  It had a different title, and no one knew all the dead people were going to become undead.  So I felt like that first scene of them waking up as zombies needed to be powerful.  Even though I love horror, I really hadn't written a lot of true horror before this story, so I wasn't sure what I was capable of.  I was/am really proud of how this chapter turned out.

Chapter 88 of Curtain Call
The reason I started telling CC in Cary's POV was because I didn't think it was possible to do what I did in this chapter.  Then I read a book that changed my mind, and I decided to challenge myself with the task of doing exactly what I thought I wouldn't be able to do.  So I did.  And it turned out pretty much the way I was hoping it would.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2012, 11:43:36 PM »

LOL I like Steph's rule too. I'm just unable to put it into practice with FF. OF I apparently have no problem with since it's ten chapters in and sitting on my computer unread by anyone but myself.

I feel like it's easier to keep OF to yourself because there's not as much of an audience for OF here.  What makes posting in-progress fanfics so tempting is knowing you're going to get feedback, which helps motivate you to finish them.  That's my problem, anyway LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #399 on: July 22, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »

If we are talking about specific scenes, I would say the scene where Nick finds Lauren's body by tripping over it in the dark was one in FYO.

When I Grow Up: the scene where Nick and Kevin are in the car, Nick attempts to drive even though he doesn't know how sticks out as a good comedy one. That and where Brian finds out Leighanne cheated on him with future Nick.

The Howie story I posted yesterday was something I am proud of as well. Writing a Howie story and in 1st person was difficult for me. That's why I love doing the challenges because it helps me grow as a writer :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #400 on: July 22, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »

I loved that FYO scene with Nick finding Lauren dead, Tracy!

And Rose, only you could write develop such a sweet love story in the midst of a zombie apocalypse! LOL
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #401 on: July 22, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »

Julie, I feel your zombie scene in Undead was the best one of the story LOL. It's definitely pivotal and you delivered :)

I loved that FYO scene with Nick finding Lauren dead, Tracy!

And Rose, only you could write develop such a sweet love story in the midst of a zombie apocalypse! LOL

LOL thanks. You know me, I can't have fluff unless it's surrounded by gore or angst!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #402 on: July 22, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »

Aw thanks Julie. That was one of my favorite chapters because it was really suspenseful. I also enjoyed the boys playing detectives lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »

Julie, I feel your zombie scene in Undead was the best one of the story LOL. It's definitely pivotal and you delivered :)

LOL thanks. You know me, I can't have fluff unless it's surrounded by gore or angst!

Ditto - that's why we make such a great team! And thanks! :)
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #404 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »

Ditto - that's why we make such a great team! And thanks! :)

Yep! :)

I still say we need a zombie smiley lol.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49