Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121877 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #435 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »

I agree, that's a great analogy. There's some things I throw at them cause I knew at the get go that would be their "fate". But then on other things they have their free will which changes up my plans a bit, but not always the destination, just the journey there typically. Like in RMTW, Nick was NOT supposed to tell Kevin as early as he did. But as I wrote that chapter, I knew Nick not telling Kevin wouldn't work. It was too out of character and Nick made that choice for me lol.

That's exactly how I went about writing Curtain Call.  I played God and decided on the things that were outside my characters' control, but I let them make their own decisions about things they could control and went with what they decided, even if it wasn't what I would have chosen for them.  It worked out well that way.  Like you said, we can decide their fate, but not always the journey it will take to get them there.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #436 on: July 23, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »

Have you guys ever had a story, or a chapter that seemed to have been purely inspired by a song that comes on randomly?

"Safe and Sound" from the Hunger Games soundtrack came on my computer, and it's pretty much fueled an entire Undead chapter. I feel like the entire chapter embraces that song and I can see the scenes in my head like a movie going to that song like a soundtrack.

I don't know about randomly, but there are definitely some songs that I've listened to and thought, "Wow, I have to put this in a story."  The song "Annie" by James Blunt inspired my short story "The World Will Know Your Name."  "Siberia" inspired a certain scene in BMS.  "Taking Over Me" by Evanescence has inspired a couple of story ideas I have yet to write.

I used "Just Want You to Know" in the beginning of Curtain Call, for no other reason than that I needed a BSB song that would work musically for what I was imagining, and that one did.  But the more I listened to the lyrics as I was writing that story, the more I realized that it fit it perfectly, like I'd planned it that way all along.  It's weird when that happens too.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #437 on: July 23, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »

Usually I don't listen to music or anything whilst writing, but when Muse released their Resistance CD a couple of years ago, the song Resistance inspired me to write a short story (which I called Resistance and it was a Take That story).

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #438 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »

Fail Mare, fail LOL

I know! I don't have one single song on my iPod even lol :(
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #439 on: July 23, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »

I don't know about randomly, but there are definitely some songs that I've listened to and thought, "Wow, I have to put this in a story."  The song "Annie" by James Blunt inspired my short story "The World Will Know Your Name."  "Siberia" inspired a certain scene in BMS.  "Taking Over Me" by Evanescence has inspired a couple of story ideas I have yet to write.

I used "Just Want You to Know" in the beginning of Curtain Call, for no other reason than that I needed a BSB song that would work musically for what I was imagining, and that one did.  But the more I listened to the lyrics as I was writing that story, the more I realized that it fit it perfectly, like I'd planned it that way all along.  It's weird when that happens too.

You didn't plan JWYTK? I thought you did lol. I really like how you bookended it too, having it in the beginning and at the end. I feel like Curtain Call almost personifies that song. I've had that happen, where I use a song casually and it turns out it fits better than I ever planned.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »

You didn't plan JWYTK? I thought you did lol. I really like how you bookended it too, having it in the beginning and at the end. I feel like Curtain Call almost personifies that song. I've had that happen, where I use a song casually and it turns out it fits better than I ever planned.

Lyric-wise, no!  I just picked it for the beginning because it fit what I was going for - a lesser-known BSB single that fit the Idol theme and could be adapted musically the way Cary did.  It was only later that I realized how well the lyrics really fit, and that's why I used it again at the end, like I'd planned it that way all along LOL.  It's given me a greater appreciation for that song, because aside from the epic Sphynkter video, JWYTK never did much for me.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

Lyric-wise, no!  I just picked it for the beginning because it fit what I was going for - a lesser-known BSB single that fit the Idol theme and could be adapted musically the way Cary did.  It was only later that I realized how well the lyrics really fit, and that's why I used it again at the end, like I'd planned it that way all along LOL.  It's given me a greater appreciation for that song, because aside from the epic Sphynkter video, JWYTK never did much for me.

I agree about it not doing much, though the video is epic lmao. That was definitely a perfect song choice for Cary though. It does look like you planned it out neatly LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »

Damn, that song makes me sad now!  LOL I just played it and :(...

Does anyone else do that?  Ruin songs by using them in stories? LOL  I don't really mean "ruin," but I find that after I've used a song in a story or read a story in which a certain song played a big part, I can't ever listen to that song again without thinking about that story.  Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it's not.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »

^ nope! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

I have another question...

How many projects do you work on at a time?
Are you a one story at a time kind of person or do you have a few?

I used to always have two or three stories going at once until I started to find myself neglecting them. Now, i'll only ever write on one story at a time. I would rather do that and sometimes go for a stretch without updating then posting a ton of stories that are in danger of never being finished. As a reader, I hate when that happens so I make an extra conscience effort not to do it to my readers.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »

That's one thing I'm conscious of now. I may take time, but these days I don't post anything that I'm not sure I'll follow through on. Like I have starts for other fics in folders, but I only post stuff I really feel a solid inspiration for and have outlined and a couple chapters for. Which, WOOMD, Divine Intervention, and HWS all had in common.

Cause I never want to abandon a story again.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #446 on: July 23, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »

I'm the same way.  If I can remember what chapter a certain part is in, it's usually one of those critical parts that I thought and thought and thought about, finally got to write, and was happy with.

So, next logical question for everyone:  What are some of those pivotal parts you've written that you're most proud of?

As I mentioned before, I think the scene where we finally learn how Nick got that MINE carved into his skin in It Stays was a scene I was really proud of and that was really hard to write!

Nick's birthday chapter in Seasons of Change because it was totally personal to me and actually happened in my real life.

The reveal scene in Shadow Woods when Kevin explains to Nick what the heck was going on.

Having other Nick kill Nick was another one lol for obvious reasons.

I think for all four of those, I couldn't wait to get to the climax and write it out. LOL

I actually think I have one of those moments in every story i've written. A certain scene I can't wait to write and am really proud of, as we all should have in each of our stories, but those are the four that most stick out in my mind.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #447 on: July 23, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »

On average, how long does it take you guys to finish a story?  (A novel, not a one-shot.)

A novel usually takes me anywhere from two to 6 months to finish. I generally don't write really long novels though. Usually they range anywhere from 20 - 50 chapters max.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #448 on: July 23, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »

Here's a question:

Do you guys think of your original characters as real people?
Do you ever hesitate to do things to the characters because of how attached you are to them?

I hope mine aren't because most of my original characters are freaking psycho! LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #449 on: July 23, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »

I think I am all caught up now, although I feel like I missed one somewhere? lol

Here's another question, although I should wait until tomorrow just in case it suddenly gets quiet in here.

When you are writing a story, do you ever intend it to not go past a certain amount of chapters? Or what makes you decide to make something really long or really short?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 49