Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121843 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #465 on: July 24, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »

I don't plan my story length.  My older stories were typically around 20-25 chapters without fail and a couple of my more recent ones as well are about that long.  My sci-fi stories as of late are the ones that have been longer and I know it is because the plot is more complex I don't want to rush the storyline.  I don't go into a story thinking it will only be so many chapters.  I write until I have ended the story, no matter how long or what chapter number it is ;)  I don't have a problem with an odd number ending my story or having 37 chapters instead of 40.  *shrugs* :-D 

I have gotten stuck on endings but have also gotten myself stuck on beginnings.  Endings are sometimes hard because I want to make sure I've wrapped up everything I needed to have end.  Also, I have an image of how it is supposed to end from the beginning of the story and I want to make sure I convey it correctly. 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

myconfession

« Reply #466 on: July 24, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

The whole reviewing thing... I notice over here that my read count goes up dramatically every time I update or post something, but then no reviews. I think it kind of comes down to loyalty... there's one or two over here that always leaves feedback or most of the time, but over on MC, at least 40% of the people that read leave feedback and not just on mine, but on Lisa's stories and the other hosted stories.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #467 on: July 24, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »

Maybe it is loyalty. Who knows. I write for me first and foremost though, and appreciative of the fact I get reviews the way I do here. In the end, I don't let review counts affect my writing. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

myconfession

« Reply #468 on: July 24, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »

Neither do I, because if I did, I wouldn't waste my time putting them over her also :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #469 on: July 24, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »

You'll find those loyal readers who always give feedback on any site, including here.  Don't forget that the read count goes up every time someone clicks on or refreshes - not necessarily reads - a chapter of your story.  I know I always jack mine up a few notches just by checking to make sure my story posted correctly - and if I have to go back and edit it, checking again.  So if I do go look to see how many people have viewed a chapter so far, I know a few of those are just me.  The first chapter of any story is almost always going to have a higher read count than other chapters because of people who click on it to check it out and decide it's not for them.

Also, those of us with our own sites or our stories posted elsewhere shouldn't expect to get as many reviews on AC alone because there are other ways people can read our stuff and give feedback.  I know when I first started posting my stuff on AC, I didn't get many reviews at all because the people reading it had already read it on my site and given me feedback there.  Now most of them leave me reviews on AC instead because it's so much easier than emailing.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #470 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

You'll find those loyal readers who always give feedback on any site, including here.  Don't forget that the read count goes up every time someone clicks on or refreshes - not necessarily reads - a chapter of your story.  I know I always jack mine up a few notches just by checking to make sure my story posted correctly - and if I have to go back and edit it, checking again.  So if I do go look to see how many people have viewed a chapter so far, I know a few of those are just me.  The first chapter of any story is almost always going to have a higher read count than other chapters because of people who click on it to check it out and decide it's not for them.

Also, those of us with our own sites or our stories posted elsewhere shouldn't expect to get as many reviews on AC alone because there are other ways people can read our stuff and give feedback.  I know when I first started posting my stuff on AC, I didn't get many reviews at all because the people reading it had already read it on my site and given me feedback there.  Now most of them leave me reviews on AC instead because it's so much easier than emailing.

You summed it up nicely. All I have to add is that I agree LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #471 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »

What is your favorite last line that you have written?

He shook his head in disgust and disbelief. “She didn’t love us. She just left us there in pieces.”

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10646
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #472 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »

LMAO I didn't even have to click to see what story that was. Choppage FTW!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #473 on: July 24, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »

What is your favorite last line that you have written?

Couple's Therapy: "I'm pretty sure that we're gonna be humping like the frogs soon."

Fear of Flying: "But after that, Nick always had a secret love for llamas that he never disclosed to anyone except for Ethan - the stuffed llama that he bought and slept with every night for the rest of his life."

Something Beautiful: "And, as usual, Brian was absolutely right."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:31:04 PM by Pengi »
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »

I'm just gonna say in advance also that the last line I have planned for Borrowed Time is pretty epic also but I'm not posting it. LOL
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #475 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »

I get random people on twitter that say they are reading and they liked my story. I just say thank you...but it really isn't hard to leave a review honestly.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #476 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »

Here's what it breaks down to. While I'll be the first to say I write for me before anything, I'll never say I write solely for me. If I did, I wouldn't have the goal of one day getting published. I wouldn't be posting my stories here. All of us care to an extent. What bugs me, are the people who I see bitch on twitter about not getting reviews, or not getting enough reviews.

To those people I always want to yell at them to just be grateful people are enjoying your work.

Some people focus in on that and while all of us love feedback (or we wouldn't post it anywhere), some people are almost obsessed with it. I don't get why either.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »

I haven't seen anyone being that obsessed with feedback on twitter lately. I don't write only for that reason. We all want feedback like you said, I'm sure that there is not a single person here that feels otherwise.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #478 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

I haven't seen anyone being that obsessed with feedback on twitter lately. I don't write only for that reason. We all want feedback like you said, I'm sure that there is not a single person here that feels otherwise.

I was speaking generally Tracy about stuff I have seen in the FF part of the fandom.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #479 on: July 24, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »

Rose you said exactly what I've been saying/thinking for years.   If we were the ONLY person we wrote for we wouldn't be posting for others to read.  I write what I like, but I post to share my work with others and it's nice to have others tell you they are appreciating it.  I have had a few people on twitter mention having read a story of mine, it makes my day to hear it.  If people leave a review that's awesome, but if they tell me another way they enjoyed it, I'll take that too. As I'm sure you all do as well. :) 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49