Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121837 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #480 on: July 24, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »

Yeah I like getting comments on twitter too. I just feel like people think I write for feedback count but that isn't the case at all.

Sorry for the misunderstandi ng Rose.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #481 on: July 24, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

Yeah I like getting comments on twitter too. I just feel like people think I write for feedback count but that isn't the case at all.

Sorry for the misunderstandi ng Rose.

Most of the time, people will only think that stuff if you give them reason to you know? LOL. I mean I know when I see people get angry about how they "only" get so many reviews, then yeah, I'll think that about anyone who says that. Simply because that's how they're acting.

As long as you're appreciative about what feedback you get, and don't come off greedy for more or upset about not getting "enough" per say, I don't think people have a reason to think that about you.

And even if they did, who cares? LOL.

I know some people think bad things about me, I just couldn't care less :P.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #482 on: July 24, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »

Thank you for that, I wouldn't blame anyone for feeling that way if I was acting like that. Sometimes I'm just a bit paranoid but I'm working on that.

I appreciate every comment I get. I have had someone recently just start reading bsb fanfic and read mine first, that really meant a lot to me.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

I like getting reviews just because of how unreliable the read count is and I really like knowing people like the work and I'm not just posting it for no reason. Getting reviews or seeing people talk about the story is what will motivate me to update a story I haven't touched in awhile. Getting feedback also helps me decide which direction a story should go, or can help me correct an error in character perception if the readers are seeing a character a way I don't want them to (which is another reason I like to post while stories are in the progress of being written). So I understand wanting feedback, especially if it's constructive in some way. I mean I love all reviews but I appreciate ones that actually comment on the story over ones that're like "update soon thanks" or "great chapter". I like the ones that really get into the story, like "this is what I thought about this part of the chapter and this is what I think about this..." etc. I also understand that people are busy and don't always have time to do those type reviews.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »

I have had that happen Pengi.  I a story that was sitting incomplete got a slew of reviews from one reviewer and it spurred me enough to actually finish the story... it is very nice to get reviews and comments. Helps keep you motivated.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #485 on: July 24, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »

Yeah I will never ever understand why people don't review what they read. I know the only time I will ever abstain from reviewing, as I've mentioned before, is when the author doesn't respond to their reviews. Especially if they are selective of who they respond to. It takes five seconds to review, even if it's "loved it! Great job!" & it takes two seconds to respond with a "thanks!" seriously one of my biggest pet peeves ever lol I don't care how much I love the story, I'll  Be done with it.

As far as endings go, I generally don't have trouble with those because I always have a very clear visual in my head of the ending. The last line sometimes is tough, like Julie said because you want to find the perfect thought to leave your readers with.

Which leads me to this question,

What is your favorite last line that you have written?

Just wanted to quote myself do you can see tonight's question. I might have gotten lost in all the review talk lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #486 on: July 24, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

A lot of my longer stories have terrible last lines. That being said, I think I have a good one planned for Running Up That Hill. I have noticed that in my one-shots I tend to book-end my first and last line, either making them exactly the same as or some variation of the first line.

My favourite of these is from Total Request Live, where the story begins with Nick saying, "I hate TRL." and ends with him saying "I love TRL."

Touching on the feedback thing, if I'd written solely for feedback I'd have quit writing ages ago LOL. My old website had like, one comment in the guestbook. But I kept posting stuff and writing because it was fun and because I enjoyed it.  Of course getting reviews is nice, and I'm sure some of my work could have a lot more reviews if I begged for them, but I'm not going to do that. To me the feedback isn't worth much if you had to pull teeth to get it. It's much more valuable to me to know that someone clicked into my story, read it and liked it because they actually wanted to, not because I asked them.

Besides, if I wrote for the purpose of getting reviews, you'd see Running Up That Hill updates a lot quicker :P
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »

To me the feedback isn't worth much if you had to pull teeth to get it. It's much more valuable to me to know that someone clicked into my story, read it and liked it because they actually wanted to, not because I asked them.

Exactly. I feel like if you're begging for reviews or whoring your story out like crazy, it defeats the purpose. I want to know people are telling me they enjoyed it because they wanted to, not because I begged them.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »

Yeah I don't see the point in whoring yourself out. I will usually just post something once when I update and that's it.

As for endings, I guess the best one is when I wrote Nick being attacked by sharks and AJ says "at least he swam with the sharks before he died" lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »

Okay since reviews are such a hot topic, how do you all feel about authors who don't respond to reviews? Do you consider it a double standard to confess you enjoy getting reviews but then don't respond to them? If you don't respond, why? Do you only feel certain people are worthy of a reply while others are not?

Like I said, it's a huge pet peeve of mine so just curious to see if it bothers anyone else lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:22:55 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »

Okay since reviews are such a hot topic, how do you all feel about authors who don't respond to reviews? Do you consider it a double standard to confess you enjoy getting reviews but then don't respond to them? If you don't respond, why? Do you only feel certain people are worthy of a reply while others are not?

Like I said, it's a huge pet peeve of mine so just curious to see if it bothers anyone else lol

I think it's laziness. It doesn't take long to respond to a review, and honestly since they're taking the time to tell you they enjoy your story, you can take the time and at least give a simple thank you. It's common courtesy. It's like if someone compliments your outfit, it would be rude to ignore them right?

I feel everyone is worth a reply. I comment on every review I get. If it's a simple "Good Job!" even that, deserves a thank you. I feel like it's wrong to respond to some while not others. Each of those people commented, the least you can do is reply.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »

the only time anymore, the ONLY time I don't respond to my reviews, is when they are duplicate reviews. I had that happen with a couple of my stories recently where the reply was a duplicate of the one right before, literally a duplicate.  So I respond to one, but I usually delete the other though I'm sure I forget to delete the dups sometimes.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

^ and that is a valid reason to not respond to a review! lol probably the only valid reason in my book.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »

Yes, that's the only time I don't respond, is if a review is submitted twice. And even then it's technically responding when I reply to one cause the other said the exact same thing lol. Normally I delete the copy.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

I make an effort to respond to each one, but just like my reviews for stories I read I try to make my responses actually have a purpose and a meaning. I try to divulge some "behind the scenes" thought process or random factoid or a link or something to make reading the response to the review worth it. I'm not gonna just sit there and go "Thank you" and thats it. Maybe I should, I dunno. But I respond to reviews as long as I have something constructive to say in response, if that makes sense. And I make an effort to have something even if the person leaving the review didn't say anything constructive to me. But honestly sometimes I just can't because like I'm afraid I'll end up giving away a plot twist or something crazy like that if I answer. I'll also wait to answer when I have a few to answer at once.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49