Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121823 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #495 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

I really think most people generally just expect a thank you and nothing more, unless they ask a question. That just might be my thinking though. My responses to people are generally in direct relation to what they say to me. If its a Long detailed review, I usually have more to say in response then someone who says "great job!" that's when I say "thanks!"
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #496 on: July 24, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »

If someone says "nice chapter" I say "thanks" there is not much for me to respond with but I like to reply to what was written to me.  I also like to divulge some information that might be coming in my responses to my reviews. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #497 on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »

I make an effort to respond to each one, but just like my reviews for stories I read I try to make my responses actually have a purpose and a meaning. I try to divulge some "behind the scenes" thought process or random factoid or a link or something to make reading the response to the review worth it. I'm not gonna just sit there and go "Thank you" and thats it. Maybe I should, I dunno. But I respond to reviews as long as I have something constructive to say in response, if that makes sense. And I make an effort to have something even if the person leaving the review didn't say anything constructive to me. But honestly sometimes I just can't because like I'm afraid I'll end up giving away a plot twist or something crazy like that if I answer. I'll also wait to answer when I have a few to answer at once.

Even if it's not constructive, don't you think you should thank them for acknowledging your work in a review? I mean I feel like that alone merits a response.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #498 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »

I always respond in relation to what they say. If they comment on something, I reply my thought process or the character's mindset for example. If they say "great chapter" or "I loved it!" That's when I give the "Thankies!" lol.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #499 on: July 24, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

I always respond in relation to what they say. If they comment on something, I reply my thought process or the character's mindset for example. If they say "great chapter" or "I loved it!" That's when I give the "Thankies!" lol.

ditto
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #500 on: July 24, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »

^ Same here!  I base my response on the review.  Like Mare pointed out, you can usually find more to say in response to a longer review, whereas with a "Great job!" or "Update soon!" kind of review, I usually just say thanks.  But I always reply so they know I read and appreciated their review, because I always do!  Even the short reviews let me know that person is reading and cares enough to say something, and that means a lot to me.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #501 on: July 24, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »

It also lets your readers know that what they say matters to you. Perhaps that's why so many people are 'afriad' to leave reviews when they don't know what to say because they see authors being selective on who they thank? We might think its silly but it might honestly offend people.

Like I said its a ginormous peeve of mine lol even when it doesn't happen to me.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #502 on: July 24, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »

I've had readers tell me before that they used to be afraid to email feedback or leave a review either because they didn't know what to say or didn't want to say something stupid.  So even if it sounds silly to those of us who review everything we read without thinking twice about it, I could see someone second-guessing themselves if they went out on a limb to write a review in the first place and then realized the author responded to other people's reviews and not theirs.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #503 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »

I get that with those who are strictly readers. What makes a little less sense to me are writers who fave your story and never review, and then you have no idea till out of the blue they say they liked your story. That's only because as a writer, you would think they'd understand. Especially if you see that person talking about how much they appreciate reviews themselves LOL.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #504 on: July 24, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »

Yeah, I've always said I think readers who don't write have a warped view of how much feedback we actually get and what it means to us.  Obviously now you can see exactly how many reviews a story has on AC, but before AC, there was no way to know.  I remember when I first started posting my stories, I was lucky to get one piece of feedback in a month, but I still thought that the "popular writers" of the stories I was reading had to be getting so much feedback that an email from me wouldn't even matter to them.  It was only once I started really talking to other writers that I realized that probably wasn't the case.

Then again, most of the "popular writers" I do remember emailing with feedback, I never heard back from.  So... who knows, maybe they were getting too many emails to reply to, or maybe they just didn't care enough to reply.  LOL See?!  Whether it's true or not, that's the vibe you give off when you don't reply.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #505 on: July 24, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »

^ that is just a major FAIL!! right there lol in response to Rose's post which is no longer above mine.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #506 on: July 24, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »

^ also true what Julie said lol I keep messing up the quote button on here.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #507 on: July 24, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »

I kind of went off on a tangent with what was going to be a response to Rose's post LOL, but yeah, writers should know better.  Or care more.  Or be less lazy.  Whatever's the case!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #508 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »

I like when writers respond to my review because I tend to leave long ones, and I enjoy seeing the responses afterwards. I respond 99 percent of the time. If I didn't, it means I've been busy or forgot to answer but eventually I will get around to it. If someone leaves a detailed review I respond the same way. If it's short sometimes I will say thanks for reviewing and that's about it.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #509 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »

LMAO lazy people, not quoting.

Readers I get, it's writers that frustrate me cause they should get it.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49