Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121879 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #510 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »

I admit since going off on my rant I have been scrolling through the most recent pages and it's nice to see that most people do respond to all their reviews. There are quite a few who either don't bother replying at all or are selective though. It makes Mare sad lol and annoyed.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #511 on: July 24, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »

That's good to know that most people do!  Just about everyone I review regularly responds regularly to mine.  But most of those people are you guys, and we've had this conversation on here before LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #512 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »

More than once lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #513 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »

Oh yeah! LOL

So here's another question:  Do you get emotional when you write emotional scenes?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #514 on: July 24, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »

I try to respond to all my reviews! Even if they just say "Great job!" I'll say "Thanks!" because as you guys have said, I want them to know I appreciated it. I'll usually mirror my response to the length of the review though and try to open a dialogue about the specific things that were commented on.

Also, I agree with those of you who have said that when authors only respond to specific reviews it bugs you. It can really put me off too. I hasn't really happened to me lately though!

Before sites like this one and FF.net back in the day, I emailed a few people some feedback. Only one girl emailed me back and you know, her email really made my day. It made me feel like my email to her (which I'm sure was super teeny lol) was really appreciated. Back on FF.net you couldn't respond to reviews (and to my knowledge, you still can't, not without just sending a PM) so when I posted a new chapter I would always put a cheesy author's note at the beginning where I'd thank everyone who'd commented on the last one. Good ol' days of FF.net lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #515 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »

So here's another question:  Do you get emotional when you write emotional scenes?

Yes, I have gotten emotional when writing a scene.  Most of the emotions I get carried away with though are longing or the emotions of the bad guys. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #516 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:44 PM »

Oh yeah! LOL

Yes, and that's because emotional scenes for me are likely those pivotal ones I've built up in my head. So I need to totally immerse myself in them and sometimes that can be hard. I also tend to set the ambiance when I'm writing with sad music (as we talked about) so of course that doesn't help. After writing something like that, I find I need to take a breather and go for a walk listening to like... Aqua or something lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #517 on: July 24, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »

Oh yeah! LOL

Depends how heavily angsty they are. But yes, I have. I've actually teared up writing them before. Once those ones that had me react that way are done, I typically need a break. I just get so into my character's heads sometimes and feeling the emotion of the scene...
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #518 on: July 24, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »

Before sites like this one and FF.net back in the day, I emailed a few people some feedback. Only one girl emailed me back and you know, her email really made my day. It made me feel like my email to her (which I'm sure was super teeny lol) was really appreciated. Back on FF.net you couldn't respond to reviews (and to my knowledge, you still can't, not without just sending a PM) so when I posted a new chapter I would always put a cheesy author's note at the beginning where I'd thank everyone who'd commented on the last one. Good ol' days of FF.net lol

Looking back, I realize the writers who actually replied to my feedback are the ones I became friends with.  The ones who didn't were the ones I put on pedestals because I and everyone else loved their stories so much, but while I respected them as writers, I never got the opportunity to connect with them as people.  My favorite fanfic authors nowadays are people I also consider to be my friends because we have those conversations back and forth, and it's not just one-sided.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #519 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »

Yes. When writing Still The One and Nick gets into a horrible car accident, Brian being the first police officer on scene and cutting him out of the wreckage....th at part of the story was very emotional and I teared up writing it because it was so sad.

I get like that when I'm reading as well. I'm not usually a crier but there have been a few stories that have made me tear up.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #520 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »

As for getting emotional... I used to on occasion, and now, not so much.  I don't know if it's because I'm less of a drama queen or more of a sociopath LOL.  It may be the fact that I don't listen to music as much when I write these days, whereas back in the days of Broken and BMS, I always had sad music playing.  It may also be the fact that I research so much, it sort of removes any sort of emotional response to the situation.  I hope that level of disconnect doesn't show in my writing.  

I'm definitely more likely to cry over a scene I'm reading than one I'm writing.  I am a huge crier when it comes to books, movies, TV shows, commercials... LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #521 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:06 PM »

I don't really get emotional when writing but I've cried over stories. Like Curtain Call I bawled so bad at the end of that. And RMTW several times...SFTU as well.

myconfession

« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »

Damn, I missed a lot working 10 hours today!

-- Responding to reviews:

I try to respond to every one, especially over at my site. Sometimes the readers will tell us they would rather have another chapter than responses individually, especially if our schedules are tight (like how they are this week). We have a really cool commenting system, kind of like how it is over here, so we can respond to each review in the comments section individually. That's why I think maybe we get so many reviews over there because it's easy to just respond because you're already logged in.

And the only reason we do the log-in thing is kind of like the reason for the pop up warnings on some of the e-fiction sites, to protect ourselves from younger eyes and because I was stupid and started writing under my name when I started and could be easily found. I get a e-mail each time someone registers for the site so I can see if it's someone I don't want to see it.

-- Favorite lines (and now that I posted this, they all deal with sex LMFAO)

From "Love This Pain" (which isn't on my site anymore because I'm self-publishing it): "Don't lie to me while I'm still inside you."

And the most recent one that people seemed to like, from "Fearless" that Lisa and I are writing... "I just made Nick Carter cum in his pants. I was now some type of superhero, I was sure of it."

----

Emotional during writing?

Sometimes I do... if someone is dying or something really sweet is happening, I'll catch myself crying.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #523 on: July 25, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »

As far as last lines go, I have three lol I couldn't pick which one I liked best.

This is from Seaon's of Change where each part starts with Nick as he's giving his commencement speech at high school kind of in the same vein as Mel's with the journal entries.

As I walked back down to my chair I took one final look at the crowd, how different things were going to be for me now. I was terrified but open for the challenge. That's what life was all about.

This is from Shadow Woods:

“What are you staring at?”

I looked over at Kevin and smiled, this is something I was going to keep to myself for a long time until maybe one night over pizza and video games I’d blabber about it to Brian or something. Instead, I looked around the room seeing all my friends sleeping in various positions all over the place, including AJ who was actually in a ball on the floor and I said one word.

“Life.”

And this one is from The Apartment:

They grew to love each other and come together as less of a group and more of a family in this stupid, smelly one bedroom apartment that barely had enough light to see in the middle of a sunny Florida day, and when they would eventually make more than enough money to move out on their own, they would at certain points in their lives all miss this place. It was simple, it was plain but it was their home, even the ones who didn’t live there.

Kevin smiled, shut the light and closed the door.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #524 on: July 25, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »

Oh yeah! LOL

Sometimes, on the story I just posted I actually did get a little emotional but most of the time it's the stories i'm reading, mostly books, that make me all teary eyed.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 49