Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121857 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #525 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »

Missed a lot again! Damn this nice weather making me spend so much time outdoors, lol.

As for not replying to reviews, that's one thing which really annoys me.

It doesn't take long to reply, even if it's just a "thanks".  I know some people might wait and reply to a few in one go, that doesn't bother me, because at least they are acknowledging them eventually. 

The people who only respond to certain reviews are the ones who piss me off the most, it's like some readers are more valued than others to them.  For those writers, it makes me not want to even review at all.  Maybe a little harsh, but if they can thank some, they can thank the rest!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #526 on: July 25, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

As for getting emotional when writing, the answer is no because I've not really written anything sad, only a couple of one shots.

Reading is where I get emotional.  There are some stories on here which have had me in tears, but they were so worth it!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »

To clarify about the reviews:

Because I post so fast, I tend to get 4-5 at a time from a single reader if they're commenting on each chapter as they go. A lot of times, I will respond to only the most recent one unless the others were in need of constructive responses. I'm not saying I don't ever just post a thank you to say thank you, I'm saying I tend to go to the most recent one of each reader's and say thanks there if I get multiple at the same time. A lot of times I'll post something like "Glad you're enjoyingi it, thanks for the review" if I don't have anything "more" to say to the reader about the chapter or their comments. A lot of the reviews I get on my phone, too, and I don't respond on my phone, so I'll answer them in clumps at home when my wifi's working, etc. lol ... Just wanted to clarify that. I understand saying thank you and I do; I guess I worded my first response kinda weird.

Anyways..

As for getting emotional writing a scene... it depends on what the scene entails. A lot of times I'll find myself feeling whatever the character who's POV I'm writing would feel. I tend to write more if I reach that place because I can stay in the character's head easier. I do try to give myself some time between finishing up writing and interacting with other people so I'm not inappropriatel y acting a certain way based on the character's mindset, though. LOL ... Ie., acting sad IRL because a character got in a fight would be awkward. LOL
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

myconfession

« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »

To clarify about the reviews:

Because I post so fast, I tend to get 4-5 at a time from a single reader if they're commenting on each chapter as they go. A lot of times, I will respond to only the most recent one unless the others were in need of constructive responses. I'm not saying I don't ever just post a thank you to say thank you, I'm saying I tend to go to the most recent one of each reader's and say thanks there if I get multiple at the same time. A lot of times I'll post something like "Glad you're enjoyingi it, thanks for the review" if I don't have anything "more" to say to the reader about the chapter or their comments. A lot of the reviews I get on my phone, too, and I don't respond on my phone, so I'll answer them in clumps at home when my wifi's working, etc. lol ... Just wanted to clarify that. I understand saying thank you and I do; I guess I worded my first response kinda weird.

I don't think anything is wrong with that.... I've done it. Some people are just too overly critical. :) :plugears:

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

Missed a lot again! Damn this nice weather making me spend so much time outdoors, lol.

As for not replying to reviews, that's one thing which really annoys me.

It doesn't take long to reply, even if it's just a "thanks".  I know some people might wait and reply to a few in one go, that doesn't bother me, because at least they are acknowledging them eventually. 

The people who only respond to certain reviews are the ones who piss me off the most, it's like some readers are more valued than others to them.  For those writers, it makes me not want to even review at all.  Maybe a little harsh, but if they can thank some, they can thank the rest!

I actually have a black list of people I refuse to read who are the biggest offenders of doing that! lmao Seriously...

lack of getting reviews doesn't bug me as much as people not responding to them and like you said it's not just some people who wait and do it all at once or are sporadic or even the ones who don't bother at all for everyone. The ones who are continually selective of who they respond to I mean on every story for the entire story. Not just maybe one chapter they might have missed or one stray review that might have been lost.

I can obviously rant on and on about this so i'll stop now lol but yeah, I agree!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »

I don't think anything is wrong with that.... I've done it. Some people are just too overly critical. :) :plugears:

I don't think anyone here is being overly critical. In fact all I see is a calm discussion. Where do you see people being overly critical? We don't all have to agree. It'd be boring if we did, don't you think?

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

I actually have a black list of people I refuse to read who are the biggest offenders of doing that! lmao Seriously...

lack of getting reviews doesn't bug me as much as people not responding to them and like you said it's not just some people who wait and do it all at once or are sporadic or even the ones who don't bother at all for everyone. The ones who are continually selective of who they respond to I mean on every story for the entire story. Not just maybe one chapter they might have missed or one stray review that might have been lost.

I can obviously rant on and on about this so i'll stop now lol but yeah, I agree!

I understand when life gets in the way. We all have lives to contend with. I know for me, if I have time to update, I have time to reply to reviews. But, that's just me. People who tend to not reply, get less reviews from me. I'll still review if I read cause I'm not a hypocrite who wants feedback but won't give it myself. But if I feel like an author doesn't appreciate the feedback I'm giving, they don't need as much.

It's a pet peeve of mine too lol.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

myconfession

« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »

I don't think anyone here is being overly critical. In fact all I see is a calm discussion. Where do you see people being overly critical? We don't all have to agree. It'd be boring if we did, don't you think?

I simply said some people are overly critical. Did I say you? Take it as you wish :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #533 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »

Karah is right. I am being overly critical because it bugs me! We all have our things and that's mine so I can be an Overly crticial Ollie on this one. I'll wear my banner proudly...oh wait I friggin hate those things too! lmao

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #534 on: July 25, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

I simply said some people are overly critical. Did I say you? Take it as you wish :)

I believe I never said you said me. Did I say you said me? I was asking who was being overly critical in here, to cause your comment. Last I checked, there's several people posting in the thread. Not just you and I. That's why I asked what you meant.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #535 on: July 25, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

Karah is right. I am being overly critical because it bugs me! We all have our things and that's mine so I can be an Overly crticial Ollie on this one. I'll wear my banner proudly...oh wait I friggin hate those things too! lmao

See I didn't think you were lol. You posted your opinion just like everyone else. *slaps you with another banner*

myconfession

« Reply #536 on: July 25, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »

LMFAO!

myconfession

« Reply #537 on: July 25, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

I believe I never said you said me. Did I say you said me? I was asking who was being overly critical in here, to cause your comment. Last I checked, there's several people posting in the thread. Not just you and I. That's why I asked what you meant.

Considering you're usually so quick to jump on anything I say or do, how do you expect me to take it?

I felt like Hannah was misunderstood and I agreed with her logic. *shrugs* It was a DISCUSSION. I was pointing out my opinion. Are others allowed to do that but not me?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #538 on: July 25, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »

Considering you're usually so quick to jump on anything I say or do, how do you expect me to take it?

I felt like Hannah was misunderstood and I agreed with her logic. *shrugs* It was a DISCUSSION. I was pointing out my opinion. Are others allowed to do that but not me?

Not jumping, I asked a question. I wasn't even rude. I'm sorry you took it as such. Your interpretation s aren't something I can control though.

Of course you're allowed to post your opinion. Just as I'm allowed to ask you to elaborate. Isn't that the point of discussion? I thought we were all being civil.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #539 on: July 25, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »

LOL So next question:  What is everyone most critical about when it comes to fanfic?  What's your biggest pet peeve?

You all know mine has got to be grammar and conventions!  I'm one of the biggest Grammar Nazis on the board.  I can overlook little things if the storyline interests me enough, but if everything's in one paragraph, or you don't use capital letters or appropriate punctuation marks, or you misuse homophones or spell commonly used words (like the Boys' names?) incorrectly, I'm out!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49