Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121266 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #645 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »

I have been kinda bad about that on Twitter lately, blabbing about what I'm writing and posting dumb lines from my stories that I'm proud of. lol maybe that's the thing I do that annoys other people? Ah well.

Most of the authors I really liked are still writing. I do wish Dani would come back and finish Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon, though.

I don't find you annoying, if it helps lol. I mean the ones who try to tweet to get people to read it. Like those who reply to something out of nowhere and bring their fic into it. I've tweeted about my own writing. It's just the ones who try to do it all day or bring it up to others and try to be slick to get people to read lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #646 on: July 26, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »

There's too much for me to catch up on.

To wrap up the last 48 hours worth of posts I just skimmed though...

A lot of your guys' stuff I have read and never reviewed and if you've left me one I likely haven't noticed it yet to reply because I hate getting email notifications about things. LOL  :hidesface:

The review I remember getting from you was where you told me I wrote a chapter where you didn't hate Kevin lol. I remember only because that was an accomplishment lmao.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #647 on: July 26, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »

I don't find you annoying, if it helps lol. I mean the ones who try to tweet to get people to read it. Like those who reply to something out of nowhere and bring their fic into it. I've tweeted about my own writing. It's just the ones who try to do it all day or bring it up to others and try to be slick to get people to read lol.

Yeah I definitely don't do that but you know how I feel about self-promo lol.

There's this one girl on the other site who promos herself so much that when someone started a rec thread she actually put in her request "Yes [self-promo girl] I have read all your stuff do not promote it!" LMAO. I felt vindicated.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #648 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:27 PM »

The review I remember getting from you was where you told me I wrote a chapter where you didn't hate Kevin lol. I remember only because that was an accomplishment lmao.

Well, when significant things like that happen its worth pointing out! Lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #649 on: July 26, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

There are a bunch of authors I wish would come back!

I agree with those who said Filiklepto. She really needs to update and finish On the Rails. It's like the only AU I am really sucked into.

I would also love to see Izzy, Chaos, Eboni and Refuse to come back too!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #650 on: July 26, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

There's this one girl on the other site who promos herself so much that when someone started a rec thread she actually put in her request "Yes [self-promo girl] I have read all your stuff do not promote it!" LMAO. I felt vindicated.

Funny!!  That annoys me too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #651 on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »

There are a bunch of authors I wish would come back!

I agree with those who said Filiklepto. She really needs to update and finish On the Rails. It's like the only AU I am really sucked into.

I agree about Filiklepto!  I really want her to finish On Nightingale Hill.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #652 on: July 26, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »

I am Rose's pet peeve with writing. :) LOL   

I have characters that need more depth. I self promote my stories, I have bragged and it's been nothing special ;p

I have self-inserted and used names similar to my own.  There are surprisingly a lot of red heads in my stories.  I am sure I have plot points that leave you hanging....

and of course, I have mare's favorite, banners. :)

I never really read a lot of fanfic on AC before the last couple of years so I'm not missing any authors. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #653 on: July 26, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

I am Rose's pet peeve with writing. :) LOL   

I have characters that need more depth. I self promote my stories, I have bragged and it's been nothing special ;p

I have self-inserted and used names similar to my own.  There are surprisingly a lot of red heads in my stories.  I am sure I have plot points that leave you hanging....

and of course, I have mare's favorite, banners. :)

I never really read a lot of fanfic on AC before the last couple of years so I'm not missing any authors. 
LOL now I feel bad :P.

Oddly enough, I actually wasn't thinking of you in my pet peeves. I didn't know you did self-inserts, the only one I know about was in 00Carter LOL. You do self-promote a lot though, and I'll be the first to say it's a turn off. I feel like a little goes a long way in that aspect.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #654 on: July 26, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

Exactly. A tweet to say I update (and I don't even do that as much now that I have my cousin following me on twitter. Last thing I need is him finding me here!) and a post in the update thread is usually as far as I go.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #655 on: July 26, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »

There was a whole long train of thought that brought this question into my head yesterday after our chatty conversation, but I thought I'd wait for a lull to post it.  So here it is!

I was thinking yesterday about how we all like to write different things and the reasons I like to write what I do, and I came to the conclusion that there are three types of fanfic writers:

1. Writers who write about things they wish would happen, or their greatest fantasies.

2. Writers who write about things they hope never happen, or their worst nightmares.

3. Writers who write about things that really did happen, either in the Boys' lives or their own lives.

I'm sure most of us do all three, to some extent, but which category would you say you fall into most of the time?
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #656 on: July 26, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »

LOL now I feel bad :P.

Oddly enough, I actually wasn't thinking of you in my pet peeves. I didn't know you did self-inserts, the only one I know about was in 00Carter LOL. You do self-promote a lot though, and I'll be the first to say it's a turn off. I feel like a little goes a long way in that aspect.

Yup... I have done self inserts.  Most of the time anymore it's for shits and giggles like 00Carter. Some little small part just to put my stamp on it in a way.  My earlier stories are more guilty of the self-inserts.  More Than That is my first name, Messing with Magic is a name close to mine and maybe my description, can't remember.  Like I said, I typically use it for fun now.  In DOV I made my self-insert (the description) the big baddie and proceeded to kill myself off.  (nothing I need to talk about in therapy... nope)  Sure there's a prequel with her but at that point it wasn't a self isnert anymore.

I really don't self promote THAT much.  I talk about my stories on twitter because that is one of the reasons I have twitter so I can talk about my fanfiction.  I don't consider talking about writing my story or being stuck on my story self promotion either.  Since I've finished CP I haven't really self promoted as much. I don't think my self promotion really had to push you away from reading my stuff though.  Not hard to be pushed away when you weren't going to read it to begin with. I know my stuff isn't your cup of tea.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:11:33 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #657 on: July 26, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »

There was a whole long train of thought that brought this question into my head yesterday after our chatty conversation, but I thought I'd wait for a lull to post it.  So here it is!

I was thinking yesterday about how we all like to write different things and the reasons I like to write what I do, and I came to the conclusion that there are three types of fanfic writers:

1. Writers who write about things they wish would happen, or their greatest fantasies.

2. Writers who write about things they hope never happen, or their worst nightmares.

3. Writers who write about things that really did happen, either in the Boys' lives or their own lives.

I'm sure most of us do all three, to some extent, but which category would you say you fall into most of the time?

I don't know which one I fit into just thinking about my most recent works.  Sure I would love to get attention from the boys but I really don't want to be manipulated, thrown through time OR living in a society where I would already be dead since I'm past that age....
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

myconfession

« Reply #658 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with a little self-promotion, because if some of you are as "serious" about writing as you claim to be, if you ever do get something published, whether by a real publisher or self-published like I'm doing, you have to promote. Why wouldn't you if you're proud of something you wrote? Whether it's fan fiction or a real novel, I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about what you're writing.

As for what type of writer I am, I'm a mixture of writing about things that I wish would happen (fantasies) or things that really did happen. There's only a few things that I've written that I wish would never happen (ie: Nick killing himself).

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #659 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

Yup... I have done self inserts.  Most of the time anymore it's for shits and giggles like 00Carter. Some little small part just to put my stamp on it in a way.  My earlier stories are more guilty of the self-inserts.  More Than That is my first name, Messing with Magic is a name close to mine and maybe my description, can't remember.  Like I said, I typically use it for fun now.  In DOV I made my self-insert (the description) the big baddie and proceeded to kill myself off.  (nothing I need to talk about in therapy... nope)  Sure there's a prequel with her but at that point it wasn't a self isnert anymore.

I really don't self promote THAT much.  I talk about my stories on twitter because that is one of the reasons I have twitter so I can talk about my fanfiction.  I don't consider talking about writing my story or being stuck on my story self promotion either.  Since I've finished CP I haven't really self promoted as much. I don't think my self promotion really had to push you away from reading my stuff though.  Not hard to be pushed away when you weren't going to read it to begin with. I know my stuff isn't your cup of tea.

I'm going to be straight with you. I love sci-fi, I'm a big nerd about it. It used to be ALL that I would write actually. I still love it. I was actually planning on checking out CP because the summary caught my eye till I saw your self-promo tweets. It made me not want to read it until the reading challenge. It's why I picked that story when I got paired up with you, because it was one I'd want to read anyway.

You don't self-promote much now, but with that story, you did. I don't mind fanfic talk, because like I said to Steph, we all do that. But I do feel there's a difference.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49