Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87550 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

Mind you, that version I had written back in high school. I'm so glad I waited to show that story to anyone, and revamped it completely. The way it came out is much better.

myconfession

« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »

I'm glad I didn't know what fan fiction was when I was in high school. Hell I didn't like BSB until a month before I graduated. God only knows what the crap I would have written would be lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »

I was a mess in high school lol. I hardly talked to anyone. So this is the stuff my mind came up with. I think I discovered fanfic by searching random BSB stuff online and came across it through there.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »

I come up with story ideas when I'm in the shower ... sometimes when I'm watching TV or a bad movie ... having conversations with friends ... I should walk that would probably be a good place too.

The shower is normally where I figure out plot points I'm stuck on.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »

I come up with ideas while working, or late at night when I'm trying to get myself to sleep. Music inspires me too, or movies.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »

I usually come up with my ideas right before I go to sleep. If I remember it when I wake up, it's a keeper usually. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »

^ I do that too but I always tell myself I'll remember the next day and have YET to learn my lesson.  :(
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »

Aww, maybe that just means they weren't epic enough? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »

Again, i'm at a loss for a question. I've been sitting here for the last thirty minues staring at the screen and trying to come up with something. Yeah, it's been that kind of productive day. LOL

So, if anyone has anything?

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

How do you come up with your original, non BSB characters? Are they inspired by anyone in your life positively? How much of your real life experiences go into your writing?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »

I come up with story ideas when I'm in the shower ... sometimes when I'm watching TV or a bad movie ... having conversations with friends ... I should walk that would probably be a good place too.

The shower is normally where I figure out plot points I'm stuck on.

Same here!  If I'm really stuck on a part and just need to think, I'll go take a shower.  I do some of my best thinking in the shower, and it's easier to jump out in a flood of inspiration and go write something down than it is when I'm 2 miles away in the middle of a walk LOL.

Someone on my forum once suggested bathtub crayons, so I got a set, and now if I have a really good idea or a line that sounds just perfect in my head, I can write it down on the shower wall so I don't forget it by the time I get out.  They are awesome, BUT they do not wipe off as easily as they should, for being something meant for little kids.  I've used cleaner with bleach, and I can STILL see traces of various fanfic parts written on my shower wall LOL.  Oops.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »

How do you come up with your original, non BSB characters? Are they inspired by anyone in your life positively? How much of your real life experiences go into your writing?

I sometimes use people I know if I think they'd be a suitable character for what I'm writing.  As for how much real life I put in, in the story Ten Things she goes to Las Vegas and I've been there (but nothing like the story happened!)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »

I tend to base people off of someone I know in real life and exaggerate their personality. As I've mentioned before, Chris in Running Up That Hill is a guy that I actually know. And he's actually douchey like that lol. I call him my real life Nick Carter haha.

I think in the case of my original female characters, a lot of my own personality tends to go into them, but maybe different facets of it for different characters.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »

I sometimes base minor characters on people I know, whether in real life or online.  Sometimes it's positive, and sometimes it's negative, but for better or worse, there are plenty of real "characters" out there who are way more interesting than anyone I could come up with on my own LOL.

That said, my original main characters are mostly original.  With them, I enjoy taking the time to create them from scratch and develop their personalities and back stories and all of that.  There is always a little of me in them, and I use different pieces of me for different characters and combine that with original traits, usually the kind of qualities I admire in other people and flaws that fit the character.

I rarely base whole storylines around my own real life experiences, mostly just because I don't have many experiences that I find interesting enough to write a fanfic about.  But I do incorporate my own experiences when they fit.  For example, I've written several characters who are teachers, because that's something I know well, and I've based settings on real places that I've been to.  I do think those personal touches add a dimension of believability to a story, but my goal is always to do enough research that I can fool someone into thinking I've been somewhere or done something that I really haven't LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

myconfession

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »

Some might think it's Mary Sue, but I tend to try to put something of myself in every female character I do. Whether it's something small like her job (I had one that was a journalist, one a photographer.. .), or something as little as the fact that she's dealt with depression or has nothing to do with her sperm donor. Or fear of commitment, etc.

Other than that, I try to base the characters on what I think would help the storyline. I don't really base the characters after anybody I know for the most part because I've done that in the past. One of my ex best-friends wanted a 'character' in a story, so when I did that and she didn't like the storyline her 'character' was involved in, she got pissed.

As for real life experiences, I used to when I was younger and writing. My first real story I wrote about some real things that happened to me, as well as another one I wrote later on. It kind of helps get through things, at least it did for me.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33