Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87569 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »

The Notebook (as we called our first fanfic) was a cheesy cliched as could be!  I mean, Brian and Lore met in an elevator but they were too shy to do anything so AJ and Amanda and Nick FORCED the elevator to stop trapping the duo inside so they would talk. LOL it was BAAAAAAAD.   

The whole story started one sugar crazed night when I don't know what I was doing (probably making up voices for the Barbie game her younger sister was playing) and somehow I started talking about talking in my sleep.  So the VERY first line of the story was "Did you know Lore talks in her sleep?" And I think Nick said it to Brian??  LOL  horrible.  Then we decided to go past pure hook up humor and add some drama, I think when we finished it Lore had been in a car accident with a semi (thanks Amanda) and we were all moving into one house so that Brian could take care of her.  AJ and Amanda had some weird drama going on too.... it was BAAAAAD.  But so very fun to write! 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »

I had notebooks for fanfic in high school I carried around. I wrote a story about Nick and Brian getting lost in a jungle, Brian ended up being like Tarzan...loinc loth and everything.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »

I have a question!

What's your favourite review/best piece of feedback you've received?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »

Wow... that is a good question, but I don't even know that I have an answer to it!  I wish there was one review that really stood out in my mind, but I guess it's better that I don't, because the reason I don't is that there are quite a few people who have made my day/night with their feedback over the years.  A lot of you that will read this are among them!  Steph, I was just looking at my reviews for the end of By My Side to see if one stood out and saw a really sweet one from you. :)

BMS was the first place I went to look because the people who stuck with that story through that many chapters were a dedicated bunch!  I have never been as attached to a story as I was to Broken and BMS, so to get that kind of feedback throughout, but especially upon finishing the series, meant the world to me!!  I think my favorite comments about those stories now are when people tell me they've reread them - because holy shit, that's a lot of chapters to reread! - and when people tell me they watch real life Nick for a limp because it seemed so real LOL.  And by "people" I mostly mean @JennayHeartNick/FrickFrackGirl Jen, because I've heard both comments from her more than once! LOL  She has been very good to me!!

A recent standout is the review Mare left for Chapter 88 of Curtain Call during the reading challenge.  That chapter was definitely a big moment in the story and one that I had to exercise some creativity to pull off, and it meant a lot to me when she told me it was beautiful, instead of cheesy LOL.  So thanks, Mare!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »

Me too!  I like when he showed his soft side LOL.

Yeah, I liked it when he showed his soft side too, but I also liked how evil he could be, lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »

I have a question!

Great question! I'll have to have a look and see, then come back and answer :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »

I have three that I was able to narrow it down to.

The first is for a story that's on hold till I rework it. I got it from Julie on my story "Born To Be".

Interesting start! I like it so far... and I'm anxious to read more! I like your use of description and the way you word things, especially in the prologue. Just watch your tenses... you tend to switch tenses, even in mid-sentence, and it takes away from the flow of the writing. But going back to the descriptions, I like the two suns and the purple grass and the blue leaves and everything... how it all mimicks our world, but surreal and just "off."

I like it so much cause it's what really brought my old tense issues to my attention. It's what helped me change my writing cause she was awesome enough to tell me but in a nice way. So because I feel my writing grew a lot at that moment, it's one of my faves lol.

The other two that as I'm looking through to answer this question are from RMTW. (Yeah I can only narrow it down to three LOL).

Reviewer: McKelly Signed [Report This]
Date: 06/11/10 09:28 pm Title: Chapter Two

Girl, I am so impressed with each chapter I read. I can't wait for more. You're writing is reminiscent of a few of the greats from the "glory days"...which is what initially invited me into the world of fanfic. I get lost with each paragraph I read, seriously. You're so inside his head and the words are so vivid. I felt like I was right along side him as he went through the motions. Very curious as to what you have in store. Good fucking work, woman!

This made me smile big because I remember what it was like in the "glory days" of fanfic and how much I looked up to the old school writers back in the day. So this was just a huge compliment and I remembered it enough to try and find it LOL.

Reviewer: Joanna Signed [Report This]
Date: 06/29/10 08:18 pm Title: Chapter Two

I was so excited to get through work today to read the next chapter, and I have to say, I love it! I love the relationship between Nick and Brian, and the slight jump into the future. The imagery is amazing, I love it! Question, have you ever considered writing professionally?

It's short but the fact she asked if I ever considered writing professionally is just huge! Hearing that, is just something that flatters me to the point I never know how to quite answer lol. I mean obviously the answer is yes but it just feels amazing to have it confirmed like that.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #307 on: August 03, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

I'm not sure I could ever get another review that tops this one: I literally teared up when I got this because it meant so much to me.
Reviewer: Mare Date: 08/18/10 10:56 pm Title: Chapter 2

I read your first chapter shortly after you posted it, but didn't want to leave a review because I wasn't sure if I was going to commit to reading it and I don't like to review and then disappear. You know how I am about female characters/leads/ sexual plotlines etc... but the first chapter intrigued me enough to tell everyone else about it and then want to read the second. You've got a great beginning to your story. I know you mentioned you haven't written anything like this before, You should. It seems like a very natural fit for you. I'm looking forward to your next chapter. :O) I will admit I might skip some of the sex scenes or sexual type things though if and when they happen, but the actual storyline is nice and refreshing! Yay to you!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #308 on: August 03, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

Wow... that is a good question, but I don't even know that I have an answer to it!  I wish there was one review that really stood out in my mind, but I guess it's better that I don't, because the reason I don't is that there are quite a few people who have made my day/night with their feedback over the years.  A lot of you that will read this are among them!  Steph, I was just looking at my reviews for the end of By My Side to see if one stood out and saw a really sweet one from you. :)

BMS was the first place I went to look because the people who stuck with that story through that many chapters were a dedicated bunch!  I have never been as attached to a story as I was to Broken and BMS, so to get that kind of feedback throughout, but especially upon finishing the series, meant the world to me!!  I think my favorite comments about those stories now are when people tell me they've reread them - because holy shit, that's a lot of chapters to reread! - and when people tell me they watch real life Nick for a limp because it seemed so real LOL.  And by "people" I mostly mean @JennayHeartNick/FrickFrackGirl Jen, because I've heard both comments from her more than once! LOL  She has been very good to me!!

A recent standout is the review Mare left for Chapter 88 of Curtain Call during the reading challenge.  That chapter was definitely a big moment in the story and one that I had to exercise some creativity to pull off, and it meant a lot to me when she told me it was beautiful, instead of cheesy LOL.  So thanks, Mare!

I never thought or called anything in that story cheesy! Remember I skipped the Valentine's Day chapter lol it was really beautiful! :) you're welcome!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #309 on: August 03, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »

I'm not sure I could ever get another review that tops this one: I literally teared up when I got this because it meant so much to me.
Reviewer: Mare Date: 08/18/10 10:56 pm Title: Chapter 2

I read your first chapter shortly after you posted it, but didn't want to leave a review because I wasn't sure if I was going to commit to reading it and I don't like to review and then disappear. You know how I am about female characters/leads/ sexual plotlines etc... but the first chapter intrigued me enough to tell everyone else about it and then want to read the second. You've got a great beginning to your story. I know you mentioned you haven't written anything like this before, You should. It seems like a very natural fit for you. I'm looking forward to your next chapter. :O) I will admit I might skip some of the sex scenes or sexual type things though if and when they happen, but the actual storyline is nice and refreshing! Yay to you!

Thanks, Tracy! I am glad that meant so much to you. Everything I said is still true. You should write some more suspense! You have a knack for it :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

This is a great question! I'm going to have to wait until I'm on my computer to answer because there's a lot of stories I need to go through lol I will say as a general thought, the feedback that sticks with me the most is when people get what I was trying to do or find something insightful that I might not have been going for. There are a lot of people who give awesome feedback! Pammy whammy and Sam are two that immediately come to mind but also a lot of you guys as well. It all makes me smile! :-)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #311 on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »

Rose, I am offended that my random rambling reviews for RMTW where I walk out naked, did not make the cut! :( lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

LOL Awwww but I loved those too!
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #313 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »

I never thought or called anything in that story cheesy! Remember I skipped the Valentine's Day chapter lol it was really beautiful! :) you're welcome!

Oh no, I know!  I just worried that it could be taken as cheesy, so I'm glad you didn't think so. :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #314 on: August 03, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »

I have three that I was able to narrow it down to.

The first is for a story that's on hold till I rework it. I got it from Julie on my story "Born To Be".

Interesting start! I like it so far... and I'm anxious to read more! I like your use of description and the way you word things, especially in the prologue. Just watch your tenses... you tend to switch tenses, even in mid-sentence, and it takes away from the flow of the writing. But going back to the descriptions, I like the two suns and the purple grass and the blue leaves and everything... how it all mimicks our world, but surreal and just "off."

I like it so much cause it's what really brought my old tense issues to my attention. It's what helped me change my writing cause she was awesome enough to tell me but in a nice way. So because I feel my writing grew a lot at that moment, it's one of my faves lol.

Aww, thanks, Rose!  You know I'm not someone who usually dishes out concrit without being asked, but I guess I must have known you would take it the right way.  Classic example of just that one element taking away from an otherwise beautifully-written story (in my Grammar Nazi mind, anyway), and the fact that you were able to fix that about your writing has made it flow even more beautifully.  I wish everyone would actually listen and learn from things like that when they're pointed out to them!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33