Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87562 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »

Aww mare. You're making me blush here. I am writing suspense but it's science fiction. Weird World...I am having fun with it. Other than that I haven't had any ideas for a new suspense. I loved writing it. Right now I've been working on the new one, which I might be posting if I ever come up with a title.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »

^ good to know you're writing suspense still. Good luck with your new story!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »

Oh no, I know!  I just worried that it could be taken as cheesy, so I'm glad you didn't think so. :)

Nope, not at all! lol :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

I finally did the review thing lol

I have about 78 stories on the site so it was hard going through them to find some that stood out to me. There are a lot of reviews that really make me smile. Actually every review does that, even the YAY! or update!!! etc.. so it was really hard to pick. I went with these three though.

This was from Refuse concerning Shadow Woods because she had the exact reaction I was hoping for and she was also one of the very first people I read when I started writing fanfic so to see a random review from her made me smile.

Reviewer: Refuse (Signed) · Date: 05/19/06 09:16 pm · On: Chapter 25

Spec-Tac-U-Lar. :) You had me guessing what the heck was going on until right at the sit down talk with "Kevin" and "Casper". Right when they started talking it hit me. *smacks forehead* He's battling the choice of life and death... Through the whole story... WoW.

Excellent writing. Fantastic delivery. What a trip! It took me a while to get back to the site and finish reading it, but it was TOTALLY worth it. *thumbs up*

Awesome finishing line by Nick. It summed up the story and the fight that was fought quite well.

"Life."

This one is for The Lion's Den, which out of all the things I wrote, I lacked the most confidence in. It was the only one that featured Howie as the lead and from the start I thought it was terrible but this one gave me some confidence, again because it was someone I looked up to when I first started out.

Reviewer: Chaos (Anonymous) · Date: 07/15/04 04:46 pm · On: Epilogue

I think this is my favorite story from you yet, Mare (and you know I love the Mizpah trilogy...aw heck, I've loved everything I've read from you. I love conspiracies and this was a whopper--but a believable whopper. Very cool!

This last one I picked because it was for one of my Original Fiction stories and of course I find those the absolute scariest ones to post. So to see someone I admire, take the time to even read it, made me smile!

Reviewer: RokofAges75 (Signed) · Date: 03/25/08 05:35 pm · On: A Day in the Life of a Lima Bean

The title of this one attracted my attention, and I thought it was great, Mare! So many of the situations poor Lima had to go through in a single school day are things that I and probably most girls could relate to... dealing with the popular girls... the hot guy who can smile at you and make your whole day even though you know you have no chance with him... the fear that you're gonna bleed through your pants before you can take care of it, or that you smell cause you're sweating so bad LOL. What a nice little nostalgia trip back to high school there. =P

The end, though... wow. I wasn't expecting it to end that way. I thought it was really sad, but I liked it because it was deep, and it was unexpected. Fantastic job!!

It's funny because looking back on some of these, like The Lion's Den it was before you could respond to your feedback on the site so all of the reviews for this one were left unanswered. I can't even tell you how tempted I was to go back and respond now but people would be like, wtf? When they get a random, thanks for the review, sorry it took me a while to get back to you!  8 years later lmao 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »

Here's another question:

What are some of the things you have read within the last year? What made you click on it and did you stick with it or plan on sticking with it until it's finished? Is it updated frequently? Does the author know you're reading it?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #320 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »

Aww, thanks, Mare!

What are some of the things you have read within the last year? What made you click on it and did you stick with it or plan on sticking with it until it's finished? Is it updated frequently? Does the author know you're reading it?

I read "Whatever the Night May Bring," which was already finished, for the reading challenge.  Other stories that I've been following as they're updated are:

Borrowed Time
Scattered Pictures
Running Up That Hill
Here We Stand
Divine Intervention
Walked Out of My Dreams
Last Christmas
Save a Prayer
Fracture
Brian Potter and the Malevolent Musician
On Nightingale Hill

Of those, "Save a Prayer" is the only one that's finished.  I'd say about half of them update pretty regularly, and the other half don't.

The authors should know I'm reading because I review regularly, although I will say, with the last two, I'm kind of in the "Wait for it to be finished so you don't have to keep refreshing your memory" mindset because they're only updated once in a blue moon LOL.

As for why I clicked on them... some of them, like Brian Potter, just attracted my attention with their banner and summary and sounded like something I'd like.  Borrowed Time is another one that had my name written all over it LOL.  Others, like Nightingale Hill, came highly recommended, even if they weren't something I'd normally check out.  The rest are written by friends and favorite authors of mine, and as long as I'm enjoying it, I'd read anything by those people!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #321 on: August 04, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

Finally getting around to doing the review question.

From Save A Prayer

Reviewer: Rose (Signed) · Date: 10/19/11 01:25 am · On: Chapter 23
Awww I'm sad to see this one end, but it was a fabulous story! I enjoyed every bit of it. Can't wait to see what you come up with next. I'm glad Howie was able to keep his leg, at least one good thing came out of it. (Other than the fact NKOTB is now jungle chow LMAO).

Reviewer: RokofAges75 (Signed) · Date: 08/18/11 10:46 pm · On: Chapter 16
OMG!!!!!! First I thought the grossness was just going to be Nick getting sick from the water... poor Nick! I was still there was a leopard in the cave to eat Jordan, but what you did to him was totally better! You actually succeeded in grossing me out with the bot fly larva - WIN!!! I loved it!!! Sad you probably won't be updating in the next week, but this was a good stopping place!

Reviewer: Mare (Signed) · Date: 08/18/11 07:15 pm · On: Chapter 16
Aw maybe that explains all the bad singing! Maybe all the New Kids are infested with maggots on the brain! LOL That chapter WAS gross! The idea of Nick poking around Jordan's brain digging out maggots was pretty entertaining. Poor Guys, I can only imagine the smell and RIP Jordan now you can go on to heaven with the rest of your bandmates and entertain all the deaf people with your crappy songs! *smiles innocently*

From Games

Reviewer: Mare (Signed) · Date: 11/08/10 05:58 pm · On: Chapter 8
aww yes, Dean. The world would miss that Nick Carter dude lol Loved the bit about Brian being forced to whore out the Wylee stuff. I am worried for Nick and AJ. Ack! Can't wait to see what happens next! As usual great chapter and awesome job with Sam and Dean. You'd never know that you only started getting into Supernatural. It's coming very easy for you!

Reviewer: Sakabelle (Signed) · Date: 11/13/10 06:02 pm · On: Chapter 9
Ack, AJ! I hope Sam and Dean get to them soon! This is really good, Steph! You do a great job of sucking the reader in. I feel like I am right there with them, playing the game. Great chapter, as usual! Also, LOL at AJ enjoying Twilight. That was cute.. I could totally see him liking it, haha.

Reviewer: FrickFrackGirl (Signed) · Date: 10/16/10 01:26 pm · On: Chapter 2
You have no idea how excited I am for this story!! I am a HUGE BSB AND SuperNatural fan!!! I've only read one other cross-over story with the two and am super excited to read this!!! Great start and premise for the story! I love it so far!! Can't wait to read more!
ps. My ultimate dream is Nick and Jensen...hehe. ..:p Yes, I'm a Nick and Dean girl!!!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #322 on: August 04, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »

Here's another question:

If I'm reading something then the author will know because I leave reviews.  Sometimes I'll wait for a story to be completed because there are a few stories I love and have been waiting for what seems like forever for updates.

Stories I've read this year would be :

Whatever The Night May Bring
Scattered Pictures
Secrets of the Heart
Infidelity
Fight Me
Severed Identities
Running Up That Hill
Here We Stand
Song For The Undead
Weird World

I clicked to read them because I liked the summary and because they are by authors I like.

There are other stories I'm reading, but haven't been updated for so long, like On Nightingale Hill, On The Rails, Brian Potter, Guilty Roads, Walked Out of my Dreams and there might be a couple more but I can't think of them right now.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #323 on: August 04, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

Just like Julie and Steph, if I'm reading the story the author knows because I leave reviews unless the author doesn't bother to check lol

Stories i'm reading or have read this year

Curtain Call - for the AC challenge
Save a Prayer
Running Up That Hill
Here We Stand
The Other Side of Nick Carter
Plus any one shot challenge I issued within the last year and some random shorts from people. Don't ask me to remember the names of those! LOL You know who you are!

Stories I'd like to read if the authors ever decided to continue updating them:
Guilty Roads
Divine Intervention
History Repeating
On The Rails
:P

I clicked on them because of the summary and they all have elements in them that make me want to continue reading. (strictly about the boys, action/adventure/ Non AU/ No female lead) On The Rails being the exception to the rule. I probably would have never read it if I weren't judging it but once I did, I was hoooked!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #324 on: August 04, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »

Okay I feel sufficiently guilty now lmao.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #325 on: August 04, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »

Good! Mission accomplished! ;) lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #326 on: August 04, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »

I forgot to add History Repeating and Divine Intervention to my list, I would love to see those ones updated too.  And for one I'm currently reading, The Other Side of Nick Carter is something that should've been on my list.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #327 on: August 04, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »

What do you consider your comfort food for fanfic? Like if you had to choose only ONE genre to read or write ONLY ONE!! No cheating!! What is your go to and why?

Like for me and food, whenever we talk about where to eat, no matter what people suggest, chinese food always wins in the end for me. Nothing beats it except maybe the Cheesecake Factory but since I don't live anywhere near one of those... chinese it is, and yes, I had chinese food today lol

Same idea for fanfic, if I had to pick any other genre or action/suspense, I would go for action/suspense every time. I just feel like they move faster, there are rarely if ever, a ton of filler chapters in a good suspense story and it's really the only genre I can think of where I am willing to read an entire story in one sitting, If it's a good story! Same with writing. I move so much faster when writing a suspense than any other genre. My fingers move with the action of the scene.

So, what about you guys?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #328 on: August 04, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »

Another question:

Well not really a question, more like a statement lol Can you tell i'm bored? It figures that no one is around. :(

This is the sentence:

I really wish more people would give (Insert Name of story(yours or someone else's)/idea/genre/fandom/etc...here) a chance because ....

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »

What do you consider your comfort food for fanfic? Like if you had to choose only ONE genre to read or write ONLY ONE!! No cheating!! What is your go to and why?

You all know mine - DRAMA!!!  I like a variety of genres, and my favorite stories are multi-genre - usually drama with a hint of romance or suspense or maybe even both, as well as comic relief.  But except for humor stories, my favorites all have drama in common.  In a good drama, you get to know the characters on a deeper level, and you feel for them and whatever they're going through.  I like stories that are cathartic and get an emotional response out of me.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33