Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87550 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2012, 06:10:23 AM »

Yeah but it is so funny because I really love over the top humor lol. I love how outrageous that story is and how exaggerated the characters are.

I also love AU because I write it so much myself.

This made me think about my previous answer, I don't like when the author uses her own picture in the banner either, or self inserts *hangs head in shame* (it's ok I died though)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »

Thanks!  And LOL, don't feel bad about the self-inserts; I have done self-inserts too (though I've never put myself in a banner and never will! LOL).   There's another strike against 00Carter, because Rose and Dee and I, the three ringleaders that sort of organized the whole thing, used ourselves as inspiration for the original three Carter girls - Professor Pearl, Diamond Divine, and Red Jewel.  They're definitely exaggerated, romanticized versions of ourselves, obviously LOL, and it was all in good fun, but still.  I've done a real self-insert with my name too.  Like I said, pretty much everything on that list of turn-offs, I've done myself at one point or another.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2012, 06:30:52 AM »

1. Banners with one of the boys & a random girl
    Summaries written poorly or too generic
    Lots of editing/grammar errors
    Boys way out of character
    Female leads
    Brian/Howie/AJ centered stories
    Romance/slash/visuals
    NKOTB
    The Carter family (as leads)
    AUs unless the boys are family or have a brotherly bond like real life
    Historical Romances
    Stories that do not include all the boys or at least 4/5
    Stories where the first chapter is a character list lol
    Authors who frequently abandon their stories or do not respond to their reviews
    Stories overly bloody & gory

Yeah that's a lot but I make no apologies for my fanfic pickiness. I know what I like and before I answer question 2, 99% of the time I end up being correct.

2. Contrary to what it may seem from reading my list above, I have tried a lot more stories than you'd think. A lot and some for more than a few chapters. I only leave reviews for stories I know I'll commit to but the ones I know I won't because they didn't hold my interest etc... I don't. I wish I always did it that way because I feel bad when I've reviewed a few chapters of things and then disappear. All that being said, the only one story that sticks in my mind as one I actually enjoyed enough to see it through was because On the Rails. I feel like this has been my answer for a few questions now lol but after judging a ton of stories, it was the only in progress one that really had me entertained & interested enough to keep looking for updates. I really hope she goes back to it one day.

There might be others from a long time ago, like back when I did fanfic fun but for now I guess that's the most recent example.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »

Yeah I think I've done all of those as well actually. I believe all of us have at one point or another.

And that is really interesting about the female agents! You're making me want to go read the episodes posted already. My favorite was the Disney World one LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2012, 06:55:49 AM »

Yeah I think I've done all of those as well actually. I believe all of us have at one point or another.

And that is really interesting about the female agents! You're making me want to go read the episodes posted already. My favorite was the Disney World one LOL

Thanks!  That's my favorite one too. :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #350 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »

I know what I like and before I answer question 2, 99% of the time I end up being correct.

That's why I couldn't really answer your original question about giving certain stories/genres/fandoms a chance.  I feel like we're all aware of what we like and don't like, and those preferences were formed based on reading or at least trying to read a variety of stories.  Obviously you can't hate sci-fi or romance if you've never tried to read a sci-fi or a romance, or you'd be like the little kid who says he hates spinach and brussel sprouts without having ever tried spinach or brussel sprouts.  I don't think any of us are so close-minded that we would claim to dislike something without ever having given it a chance.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #351 on: August 05, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »

I agree on that, Julie. I always say I don't really like slash. I've tried it but it isn't my cup of tea. But I am down to read just about anything else that grabs my attention.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #352 on: August 05, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »

I agree too. I have tried every genre and have had lots of practice to know what I like and what I don't like lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #353 on: August 05, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »

I also don't want to read stories where the main characters are the children of the boys, or some other relative.  I only care about reading BSB stories, whichever genre (apart from slash).

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #354 on: August 05, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »

^ that's a big ditto for me as well lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #355 on: August 05, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »

I always end up so behind on questions LOL usually because there's one I need to think about, and then a bunch more pop up!

So I'm playing the catch up game. Again.

First my own question about the reviews.

Reviewer: Mare (Signed) · Date: 09/11/10 09:28 am · On: February Stars
That was a great short story! It had the perfect blend of humor and drama. You really made me feel what Nick was feeling and transported me back to that time. Loved the dialogue as well and I did LOL at the bear/possible Howie fan. Very nicely done! I hope you do branch out and allow yourself to write more non romance like this. You did it justice! :O)

I was really happy to get this review from Mare because she's someone I look up to a lot when it comes to writing brotherly stories about the boys. Everything she said about this story is everything that I feel when I read her work. So to hear it coming from her with regards to something that I wrote was awesome! It gave me the confidence boost I needed to tackle a longer story about the guys and their relationships. (As did a lot of the other feedback on this story)

Reviewer: RokofAges75 (Signed) · Date: 04/08/12 08:50 am · On: Chapter 3
Aww, yay for a semi-happy ending! But has Brian really stopped his shoe-eating addiction?? Only time will tell... You should do a sequel!! LMAO jk. But this story was seriously epic, probably my favorite one yet! You owned this challenge!!

Julie is another author I really look up to, and for her to call Nick's Dirty Kicks epic and that it was her favourite was basically the greatest feeling in the world. I was over the moon to receive that kind of compliment from her.

Reviewer: DaniGiggles (Signed) · Date: 04/21/08 01:10 am · On: Chapter 23
“I hate you.” She joked, staring at him, waiting for him to make a move.

Nick only grinned. “I love you.”

“You’re horrible.” She laughed, the breeze causing her to shiver a little.

“You’re wonderful.” He replied, still staring at her.

Ashleigh didn’t say anything in response, she only watched him as he stared into her eyes.

“Marry me.” He said softly.

OH GOD! LOOOOOVED THIS! You are amazing at this romance writing thing. Jesus, you put me to shame. This scene totally made my heart go a flutter. Fucking awesome chapter. I want Nick to propose to me dammit lol! This was such an incredibly sweet chapter, and I liked how you put in James to show that they haven't forgotten but yet they're trying to move forward with their lives. Very nice touch. Fantastic job Stephanie! I'm grinning like a fool thanks to you ;)

Dani's review on My Happy Ending was another one from someone I looked up to a lot. Her saying that I was amazing at writing romance and that I put her to shame was such a nice compliment to get, because her story Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon is one that I often think about when I'm writing romance. I've always wanted to write a romance story as good and emotional as that one, and I still don't quite think I've succeeded. So yeah, this was another review that I was just like "you're kidding, right?" lol

What are some of the things you have read within the last year? What made you click on it and did you stick with it or plan on sticking with it until it's finished? Is it updated frequently? Does the author know you're reading it?

Borrowed Time
Scattered Pictures
Curtain Call
Come Together
Cover Me With Dreams
Where Can We Go From Here
Signal to Noise

Of the ones that are on AC, the authors know I'm reading them. The ones that are on my kindle (aside from Curtain Call) those authors aren't writing anymore, so they don't know lol. I keep falling behind on Borrowed Time, and it's not that I don't love it - very much the opposite. Just as I said in the other thread... I suck at keeping up with anything. I clicked on those ones because they're by authors who have written things I've enjoyed in the past and the premise sucked me in. The old school ones were recommended by multiple people so many times that when Julie converted them for Kindle I decided it was time to finally read some of them.

What do you consider your comfort food for fanfic? Like if you had to choose only ONE genre to read or write ONLY ONE!! No cheating!! What is your go to and why?

Nick romance! Nick romance that has a LOT of drama and love triangles (preferably with another BSB) and complex emotional situations. Yup. Can't get enough of it. It's always been my favourite genre, and I love stories about the boys and their relationships too, but if I had to pick one for the rest of my life, I'd need to read about Nick having a lot of drama.

I really wish more people would give (Insert Name of story(yours or someone else's)/idea/genre/fandom/etc...here) a chance because ....

Nick romance? lol lots of people read that though.

1.  What are your fanfic turn-offs, things that would prevent you from wanting to click on a story to give it a chance?

-Blatant self-inserts, complete with the author's picture in the banner
-A poorly written summary. If the summary is structured badly, I probably won't click into the story. If you can't summarize your own words or don't even appear to make the effort to, why should I think that your actual story should be any different? Sorry, I know that's a bit harsh.
-A metric ton of self-promotion will make me not want to read anything you write, no matter how good it is. Arrogance is not attractive.
-...if Nick's doesn't appear to be in it at all. Not gonna lie. LOL.
-Backstreet kids, fictional or real. Not really interested.

2.  Name a time when you took a chance on a story that you thought wouldn't appeal to you and ended up loving it.
Life According to Baylee. I started reading it because it had come recommended and I had liked things Kristal had written in the past - her writing style is very quirky and I enjoy her sense of humour. So I gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it.

Wow that was a very long post lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #356 on: August 05, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »

Life According To Baylee is the only story featuring a Backstreet kid that I've read (and I loved it).  I think it's a great story because it's not just about Baylee, but has all the boys - apart from Brian - in it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #357 on: August 05, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »

Aww thank Steph! I'm flattered my review meant a lot to you :)

I always love when you play catch up. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say lol it is funny that sometimes there are tons of questions to answer and then other times there's nothing lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

And Steph mentioned Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon. That was another one I read that took me by complete surprise as far as me liking it. And you also mentioned you wish more people would try romance. I think that's a pretty popular genre I just think it might not seem that way because most of the people who actually post in here happen to like non romance. I wish more people posted besides the same few of us just so we could get those differing opinions every once in awhile but not sure how to get the lurkers to actually post. lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »

^Yeah, exactly. That's what I meant, lots of people who post here don't read a lot of romance. It is the most popular genre, but it doesn't seem that way from the regulars here, you know? I wish more of the lurkers would post too!

Ok, I have another question, and it's a fitting one coming from me. Is there any other fandom besides BSB that you've wanted to write in, but haven't yet?

For me, even though BSB in the fandom I've written in the most I'll pretty much try anything. I've never really gotten into writing much anime centered fic (besides Gundam Wing and the occasional Sailor Moon story) because of the language barrier. Most the anime I watch is subtitled, so to write a story in English when I watched the characters on screen speaking Japanese, eh.. it never ended up sounding right when I did try.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33