Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78600 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »

How do you feel about fanfic awards? 
I think they are fun and a really good idea.

Have you ever been nominated for one? 
Yes, I have been nominated for a few in the Felix Awards. Also for Rose and Karah's awards too. 

Do you prefer awards voted on or judged? 
I forgot what year it was, on AC for the Felix Awards that some judges flaked out. Made it harder on the rest of the judges...lucki ly they were able to work things out. I like either way. But when the time comes I think to myself what if the person judging your story doesn't like the genre of your story. Will they judge it fairly as opposed to the voting and knowing that whoever votes on your story probably already read it and enjoyed it.  (did that even make sense?)

How important would it be for you to win an award? 
I would say it's not important. It's just really awesome when you do win an award.

What award would you most like to win & which story of yours do you feel deserves an award?
Hmmm I would probably say Best AU, although I was runner up last year. So close! The story I would like to see win would be Fight Me...it's my baby at the time. lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »

Yeah, I think that's a really valid point about who is judging what. I think that's why the use of a rubric for judging is so important because it kind of forces you to be fair and impartial when you have to justify the things you are saying and doing. Otherwise it really does just come down to a matter of personal taste. It's much harder to let your own taste get in the way when everyone uses the same criteria for judging.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »

Here's another question:

Would you ever consider submitting one of your stories to a site for review? If yes which one would you choose & what would you hope to find out?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:53 AM »

Yeah, I think that's a really valid point about who is judging what. I think that's why the use of a rubric for judging is so important because it kind of forces you to be fair and impartial when you have to justify the things you are saying and doing. Otherwise it really does just come down to a matter of personal taste. It's much harder to let your own taste get in the way when everyone uses the same criteria for judging.

That is what I had to emphasize on my review site on every page in bold with several asteriks around it... everything on the site was based off of my subjective opinion (minus grammar/spelling/structure)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »

Here's another question:

Would you ever consider submitting one of your stories to a site for review? If yes which one would you choose & what would you hope to find out?

Well since I'm working on rewriting I would submit Chronos Project.  And I would hope for the kind of feedback I am getting/got from Rose, Amanda and (hopefully) my brother.  They are asking questions about the plot or bringing to light something I might not have noticed that a character did that wasn't exactly in character.  If I have glaring grammar issues without I'd like to know also.  All through school my papers came back with "watch the tense changes" so I'd hope if I did that I would be told so I can watch out for it.   

I am not sure I'd submit anything else for review since most of my stories won't change if there are those errors. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

That is what I had to emphasize on my review site on every page in bold with several asteriks around it... everything on the site was based off of my subjective opinion (minus grammar/spelling/structure)

Yeah, I'm sure! And even still, no matter how many times you warn people about that stuff, if they don't like what you have to say or in the case of awards, if you don't win. It's fixed lol Gotta love human nature sometimes.

myconfession

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »

Here's another question:

I've done that recently with my self-published books... surprisingly had all good reviews and I was nervous because they were pretty popular sites... ad I could see the numbers go up on the books after the reviews were posted, so people obviously listened. Doing that, I picked "Love This Pain," which I know a few on here read as a fan fiction.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

Here's another question:

Nope cause I'd be terrified of the results. Especially for something already complete.

If I was going to have anyone to an extensive analysis of one of my stories it'd be before it was "published" online so that I'd have the ability to fix things before letting the world see it. Actually I'm writing one right now where it's nearly complete and I'm sending chapters to my friend as I write them. It's good because it's given me the opportunity to go back and fix things in previous chapters to make the story more consistent, which I wouldn't have been able to do had I been posting as I went along.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 11:30:36 PM »

Here's another question:

I did submit Broken to a review site once back in 2004, when that was the thing to do.  I don't really know why I did... I guess I was just curious to see what the feedback would be like.  From what I remember, it was a pretty thorough review that commented on different aspects of the story, not just the plot, but the presentation of it too.  I don't know that I really got a lot out of it, though.  I'm pretty sure Broken was already finished when I submitted it, and I don't go back and change old stories.  The lessons I learned from Broken are not things other people told me, but things I've realized myself in looking back at it.

I think the only reason I'd have for submitting a story for a review like that now would be if I was thinking of publishing it or if it was something I had never posted and was willing to revise based on the feedback.  I don't see the point of submitting something that's already finished that I have no plans to do anything with.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »

I might, depending on what I planned to do with the story. Like if I wanted to convert it, then yes cause I'd want as much feedback and con-crit as possible.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2012, 03:49:35 AM »

I don't know if I'd submit anything of mine because what's finished is finished and I have no plans to re-write.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

As an added reading challenge for myself this summer, I decided it was time to go back and read my own stuff, since I can never remember most of the things I had written. I've always had mixed feelings about doing that because I am so critical of my stuff. I don't find it enjoyable.

I decided to start with A Million Little Things because it's the one I don't remember AT ALL! And one a lot of people have mentioned as being a favorite. I just finished it which to me is a big accomplishment! LOL I haven't even been able to get through one of my stories! I admit, for that one I didn't cringe once. I thought it was pretty good actually. LOL I'm sure I won't feel like that for all of them though. I just started reading my cough medicine one and already am cringing! LOL

So, here are my questions to you. There are quite a few!

How often if at all do you go back and read your stuff?
Do you tend to find it a fun experience or do you tend to cringe?
Do you read your own stories more than anyone else's?
Do you find youself comparing your work to other people's?
If you find mistakes in the older stuff you've written, are you prone to go back and fix it or just leave it be?
Do you tend to agree with people and their assessment of it after you've read it?
Are you ever surprised for better or worse after reading your own stories?
Do you find yourself repeating themes or lines you've written in other stories without realizing you've done that?
After reading it yourself, would you recommend it to someone else?
What's one thing you've found surprising or enlightening by reading your own work?

One thing I found entertaining in A Million Little Things was how much stuff I managed to touch on in only 15 chapters. I never realized I wrote about that whole sketchy Lou being slimey with Nick issue or the whole Nick and Brian's waning friendship and blurry Brian confrontation LOL Weird to have no memory of that!

So things like that, maybe you've read something and realized wow I named this character after my ex boyfriend and didn't remember doing that!

Okay this was long, but I am curious :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »

Not too often. I re-read some of it when I was copying things over to my site, and in December when I converted the completed stories to Kindle. If someone comments on a chapter or a specific thing that happened I might go back and re-read that chapter to refresh myself on what happened in it but I don't think I've ever sat down and re-read and entire one of my stories in one sitting.

A little bit of both honestly. Re-reading In Pieces I cringed, honestly. I can't believe people liked that story so much and that it was even featured! It's not very well structured and the writing is a bit bland. Though there were parts of it I did enjoy.

Nope. In fact if I go back to re-read something it'll usually be something someone else wrote that I remembered really enjoying, and I actually have stories in my mind that I re-read for inspiration for specific things. None of them are my own. Mare, your story "To The Magnificent Nickolas Carter..." is one I re-read often.

I try not to do that because then I'll tend to be overly critical of my stuff and never be satisfied. If I were to compare my stories to ones I've read and loved, of course I'll feel like the ones I've read and loved are better - because I remember them and keep them in my mind for a reason.

If you find mistakes in the older stuff you've written, are you prone to go back and fix it or just leave it be?
Typos and missing words, yes. Anything bigger than that like characterizati on or plot holes, no. I just leave it be. But I don't think that fixing the occasional typo is anything that anyone's going to miss or even figure out if they go back to re-read something of mine LOL.

Do you tend to agree with people and their assessment of it after you've read it?
Ummm... depends on their assessment, I guess. I had a lot of reviews of praise for In Pieces and now I'm not sure I agree with them! There were a couple of con-crit reviews I definitely agree with now, like how Ashleigh and Nick's relationship moved too fast in the 2001 chapters. Definitely agree with that and I probably could have worked it better.

Well, when I was converting over Left and Leaving I read some of it, and though the plotline made me cringe, the writing really surprised and impressed me. to the point where I thought to myself "I wrote that?!" I could really see the improvement from In Pieces to that story.

Do you find yourself repeating themes or lines you've written in other stories without realizing you've done that?
YES. I don't even realize I'm doing it but in my copy over of all of my stuff to my site I realized that there's a line Ashleigh thinks to herself in My Happy Ending that is literally word for word something Brittany thinks in I Wish. Same situation, different outcome, but exactly the same train of thought. Not like anyone's ever going to read both of those stories so I'm probably okay.

There was also this scenario where one of the 1D guys was so nervous about going out on stage that he threw up in a trash can back stage. Then I re-read The Last Last One as I was copying... and I realized that I used that in there with AJ in the same situation. It was the same in both stories... the scene didn't actually happen, they were just relaying it to someone else. Oops lol. But I don't think it's happened in two fics in the same fandom.. excellent lol.

Uh, In Pieces probably not, honestly.

What's one thing you've found surprising or enlightening by reading your own work?
How much of myself I put into my longer stories, and how they are honestly a snapshot of what I'm feeling at the time. Some of them are less obvious than others, but to me the similarities are glaring. I wonder if I'll feel that way about some of my newer stories in a few years.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »

Not too often. I re-read some of it when I was copying things over to my site, and in December when I converted the completed stories to Kindle. If someone comments on a chapter or a specific thing that happened I might go back and re-read that chapter to refresh myself on what happened in it but I don't think I've ever sat down and re-read and entire one of my stories in one sitting.

Good lord, I could never do it one sitting either lol A Million Little Things was only 15 chpters but it took me almost a month to finish reading it lol

Glad you enjoyed Magnificent Nick.... It's one of the few short stories I wrote that i'm actually proud of. I do tend to go reread my favorite short stories a lot. I don't really reread novels from start to finish much, even books, but short stories i'll do over and over again. (not mine but everyone else's) lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »

I never read my stuff once it's posted, I would probably cringe at a lot of it, lol

It would probably be a bit of both.

No.

Not really, we all have our own styles of writing.

I know for a fact there's a major continuity mistake in one of my romance stories, but I've left it as it is.  Maybe one day I will go back and fix it, but then I'd be tempted to re-write it as it's a self-insert lol.

If someone points out stuff to me that is wrong, then of course I agree with them, I know my stories aren't perfect (far from it!)

I think if I were to go back and read some of my stories, I'd wonder if I actually wrote it.

I probably have without realising it.  I know I've written two romance stories featuring AJ, lol.

Depends which story.  I probably wouldn't recommend my early stuff, but as I've not read it back, I can't say how bad it actually is.

I'll have to read some of it before I can reply.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35