Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78588 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

Good lord, I could never do it one sitting either lol A Million Little Things was only 15 chpters but it took me almost a month to finish reading it lol

Glad you enjoyed Magnificent Nick.... It's one of the few short stories I wrote that i'm actually proud of. I do tend to go reread my favorite short stories a lot. I don't really reread novels from start to finish much, even books, but short stories i'll do over and over again. (not mine but everyone else's) lol

I don't know that there are very many novel length stories I've gone back and read from beginning to end. I usually pick out specific chapters that I like and go back and re-read those.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »

OK, I've just started reading my first BSB story and am cringing already (still on page one).

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »

How often if at all do you go back and read your stuff?

I very seldom go back and reread what I have written.  I will reread un-posted chapters if I am keeping chapters from posting (which I also rarely do) or if I am wanting to rewrite the story into an original fiction.  The only other time I reread what I've written is to figure out what someone might be commenting on in a review.

Do you tend to find it a fun experience or do you tend to cringe?

There are times when I am a little in awe of something I wrote because I can't believe I actually was capable of writing it.  Many, many times I cringe.

Do you read your own stories more than anyone else's?

I read other people's stories more than my own.

Do you find youself comparing your work to other people's?

I have done this, yes.  I try not to because I know we all have different styles and voices when we write but I think this stems from my mom always comparing me to my little brother and his writing. She did it to me and so I just have grown up doing it to myself.  Bad habit, yes. I am trying to break it, yes.  Thank you for anyone who helps me feel better on those days that it really gets to me. :)

If you find mistakes in the older stuff you've written, are you prone to go back and fix it or just leave it be?

I will fix typos, spelling errors, missing words or extra words. OR if it's a little detail at the beginning that I forgot and changed it later.  I know in one story I mentioned a character having green eyes and the character had brown for the remainder of the story. I fixed the first instance. Major plot holes or issues with characters I don't touch unless I am rewriting.

Do you tend to agree with people and their assessment of it after you've read it?

As far as CC goes, I haven't gotten a lot of it.  I've gotten some when asked (thanks Mare) or for the reading challenge (thanks Rose) and sometimes for my parts for 00Carter.  Other than that most people like what I've written.   And yes, I've agreed with quite a bit that has been pointed out to me but then there are always things I don't agree with.

Are you ever surprised for better or worse after reading your own stories?

When I am surprised it's for the better.

Do you find yourself repeating themes or lines you've written in other stories without realizing you've done that?

I really try not to. But I really did it most recently with Chronos Breach.  The same theme of Chronos Breach is quite similar to what happened in Chronos Project.  BAD SEQUEL.  slaps wrist

After reading it yourself, would you recommend it to someone else?

I've recommended More Than That and Amnesia to others.  I've read both of those again and thought they were decent for some of my first attempts into fanfiction.

What's one thing you've found surprising or enlightening by reading your own work? 

Seeing how I described something in one story vs. another.  Or the wording I use to write a scene.  I know I get influenced by what I'm reading and watching when I write and sometimes it's apparent to me when I re-read.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

I don't reread my own stuff very often, especially not whole novels.  I am more likely to reread short stories or standout scenes from my longer ones, especially when someone reviews them or nominates them for an award or something.

Depends on the story!  I find there is sort of a statute of limitations with me, where I feel proud of and pleased with a story for a certain period of time, usually a few years, until I write something that surpasses it, and then it starts to make me cringe.  I reread Curtain Call on my Kindle this summer while Mare was reading it for the challenge, and I actually really enjoyed it!  I hardly cringed, and that's a first for me!  But then I tried to do the same with Broken and... yeesh!  Lots of cringing.  I haven't gotten to BMS, but even though I think it's better written than Broken, I'm sure it would make me cringe, too.  And anything I wrote before those stories just makes me laugh more than cringe because it's so bad!

Aside from proofreading, no

Do you find youself comparing your work to other people's?
Yes and no.  There are certain writers whose work I admire, and I strive to raise myself to that level.  And if I'm being totally honest, the opposite happens too.  But at the same time, it's hard to really compare your work to someone else's because there's such a bias.  You're going to be harder on yourself about some things, and yet, you may still prefer your own writing style because it's yours.

If you find mistakes in the older stuff you've written, are you prone to go back and fix it or just leave it be?
Little mistakes, like typos or missing words, yes.  I have a whole bunch of them highlighted in the Kindle version of Curtain Call that I want to go correct and repost just because they bother me.  I'm pretty sure I've done that with Broken and BMS at least once, though I'm also sure there are still some mistakes in there.  Big things that would require major revising, I don't fix in stories that are already finished.  It is what it is.

Do you tend to agree with people and their assessment of it after you've read it?
Sometimes I'm surprised that people liked certain stories as much as they did LOL.  I have to remind myself that most readers don't analyze writing as much as we do in these discussion threads and aren't looking for perfection; they just want to be entertained with a good story.  When I reread old favorite stories of mine that I've always put on a pedastal, I realize most of them aren't perfectly-written either.  But I didn't love them for the quality of the writing; I loved them for the story.  And even if I'm hard on my older stories for the quality of the writing, I do still like most of the storylines, so I guess I can see why other people liked [some of] them.

I haven't gotten a lot of concrit, but when I have, I usually agree with the person who gave it after the fact, when I go back and look at the story years later.  It just sometimes takes me that much time to separate myself from something I was so attached to when I wrote it, in order to look at it more objectively.

I'm usually not surprised for worse because I've come to realize that I will always start cringing at stories when I go back to read them years after writing them.  As long as my writing keeps improving and my stories keep getting better, the old ones will always pale in comparison, even if I loved them at the time.  That doesn't surprise me.

Sometimes I'm surprised for the better when I go back to read a scene or a story and think, "Wow, I wrote that??"  Usually it's for stuff that I'm not accustomed to writing - the first person narration in Curtain Call, the first horror scenes I wrote for Song for the Undead, the action sequences in 00Carter.  I recently reread the first "sex scene" I ever wrote because someone nominated it for Karah's awards, and I was shocked at how dirty it was for how long ago I wrote it, but it was better than I thought it would be.

Do you find yourself repeating themes or lines you've written in other stories without realizing you've done that?
I feel like I do that all the time!  I find myself opening up old stories and doing a Find search for certain phrases while I'm writing because I feel like I'm repeating myself.  Sometimes I do find matches, and sometimes I don't, but I still have that feeling, like they're maybe just worded slightly differently.

I write enough medical dramas that sometimes I repeat whole scenes.  I cracked up when I realized how similar the scene of AJ shaving Nick's head in CC was to the scene of AJ shaving Nick's head in Broken, right down to the same joke about "nicking him."  Nice to know my sense of humor hasn't changed much in 8 years!

I've realized a theme that I write about often is hiding things or keeping secrets.  Nick hid his illness in both CC and Broken (although he did it in Swollen Issues first, so that's probably where I got the idea).  He is currently IN hiding in Guilty Roads.  Secrets of the Heart has the word "secrets" in the title for a reason.  I'm sure there are more examples, but those are the recent ones that stand out.  I don't know if it's a psychological thing that I do because my writing is a secret I keep from most people in my real life, or if it just makes for an interesting story in my mind.

My recent stories, yes.  My older stories, no.  I draw the line at Broken.  Anything before Broken is not worth reading.  Anything after Broken is.  Broken itself is questionable, but if you like angst and hurt/comfort and don't mind melodrama, flowery writing, and unnecessary scenes/subplots, go for it!

What's one thing you've found surprising or enlightening by reading your own work?
I just find it interesting to see how much my writing has grown over the years.  I started out writing very simplistically .  My writing wasn't bad in terms of conventions or story structure - I always had a good handle on that just from paying attention in school.  But it was very dialogue-based and not very descriptive, more telling than showing, and my characters were not developed.

Then I moved into a more descriptive phase and went to the other extreme, with the flowery Stephenie Meyer-esque writing.  That was the Broken era.  The upside to this phase was that I learned how to write a well-developed character.

Now I'm to a place where I think my writing has a good balance.  It's still detailed and flows nicely, but it's not so flowery and over the top.  In a few more years, I may look back on the writing I'm doing now and cringe, but for now, I'm happy with how it's come along.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:09:13 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »

OK, I've just started reading my first BSB story and am cringing already (still on page one).

Aww! When you're done with that, go read either Save a Prayer or Rewind and you['ll feel much better! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »

Aww! When you're done with that, go read either Save a Prayer or Rewind and you['ll feel much better! :)

LOL I agree with this!

Is there anyone who really loves the first fanfic they ever wrote?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »

I don't know that there are very many novel length stories I've gone back and read from beginning to end. I usually pick out specific chapters that I like and go back and re-read those.

Steph, I think you should go back and read Climbing Up That Hill when you're finished with it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »

Ugh Julie never compare yourself To Stephanie Meyer's flowery writing! I will take Broken over Twilight any day! That actually made me cringe when you said that LOL!

We should do a reading challenge your first and your latest. Where everyone has to read their first novel and then the last one they wrote to see how much they have grown!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »

Ugh Julie never compare yourself To Stephanie Meyer's flowery writing! I will take Broken over Twilight any day! That actually made me cringe when you said that LOL!

We should do a reading challenge your first and your latest. Where everyone has to read their first novel and then the last one they wrote to see how much they have grown!

Well, this made me cringe when I read it:  The previous day’s nightmare had already seeped across midnight’s boundary, assaulting the new day, purging the morning of its innocence.  Does that not sound like something from Twilight?  Well, it's not; it's from Chapter 101 of Broken LOL.

That's a great idea for a challenge!  It must include a survey!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »

I do reread my own stories a lot. But if it is one of mine that's like 55 chapters I won't read it all, just pieces of it. The shorter ones I can read easily.

Incomplete was my first story, full of fanfic cliches but it was an interesting concept. My writing has drastically improved since then :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »

Not that often lol. Usually it's not unless I need to remember or something or they get nominated.

If the story's really old, I tend to cringe!

Nope.

Do you find yourself comparing your work to other people's?

I know I shouldn't, but of course I do. I mean I'll read others' writing and do my best to strive to reach that level. I've always been like that, especially with collaborations because I want my writing to be on the same level. Like with Undead, I'm always trying to make sure my writing is as good as Julie's, which is a good thing cause it makes me better and gives me a goal.

Sure, if it's minor. If it requires a partial rewrite, maybe not lol. Once something's posted and finished I tend to not go back to it.

Usually, maybe not immediately. I need the time to separate myself from my writing first.

On my old stuff? For worse! LOL I've re-read my story "Just Another Day" recently because it's up for a Trash award. I was online talking to Julie and was like... "Okay, how did this win a Felix?" LOL. Because honestly, the whole thing to me was just bad.

Yes! LOL there's times I'll have Nick sing something, or Kevin's way of talking to Nick, that I know I've used in other stories but won't realize it till later.

Hmm, probably nothing pre-2006/2007 LOL. Everything that came after my mini-romance phase seems to be better. I feel like that's around the time I started looking at my writing more critically.

I've grown a lot as a writer over the years. I do a lot more research into everything, I make sure to watch how I write things as well. My first person POV used be VERY rambling, So much so that it killed the flow of writing rather than made it sound realistic. I also take my writing more seriously now than I did then so it's why I don't churn stuff out the way I used to LOL. I've also realized part of the reason I loved writing sci-fi was because I didn't need to give as much thought to looking things up lol. Now I enjoy it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »

Well, this made me cringe when I read it:  The previous day’s nightmare had already seeped across midnight’s boundary, assaulting the new day, purging the morning of its innocence.  Does that not sound like something from Twilight?  Well, it's not; it's from Chapter 101 of Broken LOL.

That's a great idea for a challenge!  It must include a survey!

I did not see the word sparkle in there at all so in my mind you're all good! LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »

I stopped reading, lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

I agree, Julie is so much better than Stephenie Meyer and I like her Twilight books!

Oh god, I would take part in that challenge but would be cringing all the time and wouldn't blame the other person if they actually said "Steph, this sucks" lol. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

Incomplete was my first story, full of fanfic cliches but it was an interesting concept. My writing has drastically improved since then :)

Mine wasn't even interesting!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35