Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78789 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »

Okay I was kind of waiting on someone to answer this first because I'm a little confused as to what you mean. I know what a guilty pleasure is but I'm not exactly sure in terms of writing what to consider as a guilty pleasure because in my mind writing any fanfic in general is a guilty pleasure lol I know there are some stories I've read that I might consider guilty pleasures in that they just make me feel warm & fuzzy even though they may not be the best or most realistic stories, but then again I really am not one to turn to fanfic to make me feel better. So, someone else answer this and then maybe I'll be able to get a better idea? Julie, what's your answer to this question? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2012, 07:05:31 PM »

Okay, I'll answer first, and maybe that will help clarify!

I agree that fanfic in itself is pretty much all a guilty pleasure LOL, but I mean a story you've written that you felt like maybe you "shouldn't be" writing, maybe because it involved a certain fandom or genre or cliched idea or whatever might make you feel "guilty" about writing it... yet you had fun writing it anyway!

Of my early stories, the biggest guilty pleasure was a story called Through Thick and Thin, which was basically the non-parody version of Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic LOL.  It was such a teeny fic!  It was about a girl band, consisting of four characters who were based on myself and my friends, who get discovered by the Backstreet Boys while performing at an open mic night and given a record deal and invited on tour as the opening act.  Of course, the four girls fall in love with the Boys (except Kevin, because none of my friends liked Kevin), and there was lots and lots of drama.  I killed Leighanne in a car accident so that my character could hook up with Brian.  I gave one of the girls an eating disorder and killed another one with cancer.  I killed Howie's baby.  It was a total soap opera!  It was so bad that I knew even as I was writing it that it was a cheesy bopper fic, because it's not like it was my first fanfic, but it was fun to write anyway.  THAT'S a guilty pleasure!

Of my recent stories, the biggest guilty pleasure I've written is Curtain Call.  I literally felt guilty when I started writing it because I had just started posting Guilty Roads and was NOT looking to start another story.  Then I felt like I shouldn't write it because it was another Nick cancer story, and I didn't want people to think that I was trying recapture the "magic" of Broken/BMS or that that's all I'm capable of writing.  But I had fun writing it, and I'm glad people liked it!

Hope that helps!  So does anyone else have a guilty pleasure story?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »

Thanks, Julie! That did actually help a lot! lol I guess I have two stories that would fit into the guilty pleasure category then.

Five Backstreet Boys in Search of a Plot was just something the three of us wanted to write for us, mostly for the purpose of amusing each other. It was so much fun writing in genres I would normally never write in, like slash or crossovers. Doing things like using the ingredients from a cereal box as the medical lingo and being able to write an entire musical chapter were just fun and we didn't really care about how believable any of it was. We were over the top and loved it!

To Protect and Serve is the other one. I wrote it was because I wanted to read something like it. The boys as brothers but not in a dramatic setting like Mel's but an action adventure setting where they are looking out for each other and being overly protective. Kevin as an FBI agent, Howie as his partner. Brian as a first year in training under them, AJ as a fireman and Nick as the rebellious teen brother getting into all kinds of trouble. Yeah, I wrote that mainly for my own enjoyment. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »

Oh, one more guilty pleasure and that was my latest story in Scatteted Pictures. I really just wanted to write an old school silly story with the main focus being a ghost story lol that was mainly for me as well!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

My guilty pleasure fanfic would have to be Jizzle Of Oz. Not only was it a direct movie parody....but it was full of cliche jokes and just old school BSB humor. I loved writing it. Especially Leighanne and her putting all the munchkins in wylee tees lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »

It's funny that you kept saying you wrote those stories because they were something you wanted to read, Mare.  How many of you do that, write the kind of stories you would want to read?

For those of you who do, here are some follow-up questions:

1. What are some of the stories you've written because they were something you would want to read?

2. Have you ever actually gone back and read those stories, and if so, do you think you enjoyed them as much as you would have if you hadn't been the one who wrote them?

3. Are there any stories you've written that you don't think you would read if someone else had written them?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »

It's funny because for me that was one of my definitions of guilty pleasure. Something I wrote mainly for my own entertainment more so than anyone else's lol

1. Quite a few of them were written because they were things I would have liked to read. What Lurks Around the Corner, It Stays With You, Cough Medicine, Why I'd Do it all Again, Shadow Woods, Separate Ways and Protect and Serve lol All of them kind of happened because I wanted to read something along those lines but no one was complying with me!

2. As of now, the one I'm currently reading is Cough Medicine but I do eventually plan on reading all of the ones above and honestly I'm looking forward to reading a couple of them. So far I am enjoying Cough Medicine, even though it's making me cringe. I am enjoying the suspense and action element of it and that's what I do look for when looking for something to read. I think I would have enjoyed them all a lot more if it was someone else who wrote them. It kind of sucks a bit of the fun out of it when you already know what's going to happen unless your like me and have NO memory of a few like A Million Little Things. When I read that it was like reading someone else's story because I didn't remember it at all! lmao How sad is that? :(

3. There are a lot of stories I know I wouldn't read if I didn't write them. LOL Whatever the Night May Bring being the most recent. I would have never even clicked on that one! I am picky when it comes to reading so I'm pretty sure if I saw anyone was a lead besides Nick l would have no interest at all.  

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »

I feel like most of what I write is stuff I would want to read, especially my medical dramas.  I have always enjoyed those kinds of stories, not just in fanfic, but in real books and TV shows too.  Luckily, I'm not the only one, or I wouldn't have any readers LOL.

The only one of those stories that I've actually really enjoyed reading just as a reader, though, is Curtain Call.  That was a first for me.  Any other time, I've been too busy looking at the story through my writer's lens (and cringing) to really enjoy it.  And like you said, Mare, it's hard when you already know what's coming.  I do think I would have enjoyed reading stories like Broken and BMS, Beside the Ocean, and Identical if someone else had written them.  And probably most of my older stories, if someone had taken the same storyline and written them better.  (But back in 2000, I probably would have enjoyed them the way I wrote them because my standards were lower! LOL)

00Carter is the big one that I'm pretty sure I never would have even clicked on if I hadn't been involved in writing it LOL.  I love a good parody, but I'm not into the James Bond stuff, and I've only read a few AUs that I really got into, so 00Carter is not my type of story at all.  But as one of the writers, it's one that I love going back to read certain scenes of.  I think most of my other stories have something that would attract me to them, whether it be Brian or Nick, medical drama, suspense, or zombies LOL.  Like I said, I usually write what I like to read!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »

1. What are some of the stories you've written because they were something you would want to read?

Games, Save A Prayer, Rewind, Unwinding Truth, Maybe Tomorrow, Patience (Take That story)

2. Have you ever actually gone back and read those stories, and if so, do you think you enjoyed them as much as you would have if you hadn't been the one who wrote them?
I re-read Games a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it, so if someone else had written it, I would've liked it too.  I'm currently re-reading Patience, which is a story I wrote when I first discovered fanfics (although it's not the first one I wrote, probably the third).  So far I'm enjoying it, but I'm not that far into the story yet.  I think I'd read it by someone else though.

3. Are there any stories you've written that you don't think you would read if someone else had written them?
Plenty!  But the only one posted here is Forces of Nature.  I do have a couple of cringe worthy one-shots, but I'm not sure which ones they are :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »

Yeah... I guess anything I've written in the past four months counts as a guilty pleasure lol.

But specifically I am currently writing a 1D/BSB crossover in which Nick sorta goes after one of the 1D guys girlfriends. It's basically complete but I haven't posted it anywhere because I'm so ashamed that I actually wrote something like that LOL. I had already planned to do a story about Nick taking a younger artist onto his label and mentoring them and writing a story about their relationship/friendship... and then I realized I already had a young female popstar character created...and it sort of spiraled out of control from there. Not gonna lie though, it is a lot of fun to write.

A lot of my focus-fail one-shots come from something I'd like to see explored in more depth. Like Nick angsting over Brian and Leighanne's wedding, for instance.

I haven't actually gone back and read too many of my one-shots! I think I'd be too critical of them though and wouldn't be able to separate myself as the person who wrote it from my enjoyment of it. I'd still have writer-brain going and think about awkward flowing sentences, I think.

Uh, yeah! Probably Left and Leaving. The plot of that even bored me while I was writing it.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2012, 10:02:37 AM »

Severed Identities, Chronos Project, Amnesia, More Than That, Messing with Magic, Widow's Walk, Unwinding Truth, Wulf's Bane

I have yet to read any of those stories completely through from start to finish.  When I open them up I am typically looking for something or just trying to refresh my memory on what I wrote.  Cause I wrote them I tend to not read them though I have started to reread Chronos Project in order to rewrite.

Darkness of Vampires, Fighting Fate, Of Love and Time  and unfortunately it probably shows in the second 2
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »

What are some of the silliest lines you've ever had your characters say?

What about your favorite conversations? That made you laugh that you've written or someone else has?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »

I would have to go back and read my stuff as I can't remember lines, lol.  I'm sure there are many silly things they've said.

Same goes for stories I've read, I've laughed at loads but can't think what they were.  I do remember laughing at Rose's killer grapes, AJ with the instagram and Twitter stuff in Scattered Pictures, but I'll need to think of others and come back.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »

I'm sure I've written something silly in 00Carter but I can't remember.  For having a humor page I don't think I'm that funny.  HEH
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

Yeah I guess this would test memory lol I can think of funny moments but can't remember what story they are from so maybe this is a bad question lol
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35