Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78782 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

Yeah I agree I'm definitely more willing to take risks on one shots. Less of a commitment.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »

I have another question.

If you tried reading something by an author, and it wasn't good, would that deter you from reading something of theirs in the future? Would you be less likely to try something from that author if something you read before from them ended up not being to your taste, even if the plotline of a different story from them looked interesting to you?

If their story was full of mistakes and poorly presented, then I don't think I'd read anything else by them.  Or maybe I'd take a look to see if they'd improved, if the story summary looked like something I might like.

I know that some writers write a variety of stuff, so just because one story might not be to my taste, it doesn't mean I wouldn't check out something else by them.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

I agree with everyone else - if I stopped reading a story because it was poorly-written, I probably wouldn't want to read another one by the same author.  But if I could tell that it was well-written, just not something that interested me, I would absolutely check out a different story by the same author if it caught my attention.

I'll read anything that sounds interesting, no matter who it's by, as long as it's readable, but I'm more likely to read stories I'm on the fence about if they're written by authors whose work I've enjoyed in the past.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »

I agree too! If it's because it was poorly written (grammatically, formatting/big wall of text, rushed plot, 1-D characters, whatever...) I'd be far less likely to give that author a chance. If it was just that the story wasn't my type of story, I'd be willing to check out another story by that author if a different story caught my eye.

I'll click on anything that piques my interest, but I will say if it's authors who I've always enjoyed, it'll definitely get me to click if I'm 50/50 on it LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »

rushed plot, 1-D characters

so does that mean I'm out  *sniffs* 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »

I will read stuff by an author if I've consistently liked their other stories. Not every story appeals to me but I usually find something else they've written to enjoy. I will give everyone a fair chance, but I don't review unless I'm gonna keep reading until it is done.

Which brings me to a question, do you review something you've read even if you're not going to finish reading a story? Or if you didn't like it do you just not leave feedback at all?

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »

I will review so long as I'm reading. I leave a review at the end of every chapter if I am being good (and lately I always leave one).  If I stop reading it's because I've forgotten I was even reading it or I lost interest, my reviews will just stop at that point. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »

Which brings me to a question, do you review something you've read even if you're not going to finish reading a story? Or if you didn't like it do you just not leave feedback at all?

I'll review something if I'm liking it.  If I don't like, I don't review. 

Sometimes I'll start reading a story, then I'll fall behind for a while if I'm reading a few others.  But if it's a story I like, I'll go back to it eventually :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »

Yep I am the same way. If I like something I will review every chapter as it is updated. If I miss one it is because I got busy, but I always make up for it. If I didn't like something, I just don't review the story at all. I haven't been reading anything other than Severed Identities, Unwinding Truth, and Walked Out Of My Dreams lately though. I need some new stories to read :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »

I used to always leave reviews for anything I read but then I found that if I lost interest and stopped reading, the author would often remind me that I hadn't read or reviewed yet and it got to be an awkward thing where I almost felt forced to continue reading something I just didn't like because I was too nice to just be honest about it. Since then I learned my lesson and will only review a story if I know it's going to hold my interest. There are times, that even though you have the best of intentions to finish a story, it might suddenly just not seem appealing anymore but I've also learned to be more honest about that, if the author asks me or reminds me to read their chapter I don't mind telling them I've stopped because I've also come to realize it's kind of pushy to keep asking for someone to read your stuff in the first place. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »

I will openly admit when I first started writing I did ask people why they weren't reviewing anymore...I probably inadvertently turned them off from reading my stuff ever again. It happens. I sometimes get overly excited about a new story I've started. I don't mean to be pushy, I just used to come off that way so I stopped doing it. I still feel badly about it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »

The whole writing/reading fanfic process is one big learning curve lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

It really is lol I'm constantly learning what is and isn't ok to do.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »

so does that mean I'm out  *sniffs* 

No because I've seen your writing in 00Carter remember? LOL Besides, Nick had depth.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »

I will read stuff by an author if I've consistently liked their other stories. Not every story appeals to me but I usually find something else they've written to enjoy. I will give everyone a fair chance, but I don't review unless I'm gonna keep reading until it is done.

I try not to review unless I at least plan on reading it the whole way through. Then, I'll review as long as I'm reading it. Sometimes life happens and then I fall really behind. I'll try and catch up and sometimes it's been so long it needs a full re-read so then it takes even longer for me to get back to it. However, if someone asks, I'm honest and tell them.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35