Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78800 times)

myconfession

Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »

Which brings me to a question...Do you ever feel like you're done with writing Fanfics? What are some of the reasons you want to quit and some of the reasons you don't quit?

I took a break from writing fan fiction, especially BSB, when I started college back in '04. I got into writing NASCAR and then when really got into my English / Creative Writing / Journalism classes, I was too busy writing and reading for those. That's the only real time I stopped fan fiction. I only got back into it in May of 2008 when I was out of work for Maymester and had no classes. I was recovering from surgery and one of my readers and I were talking and she talked me into writing something and I liked it. I had brought MC back the month before, kind of just as an archive. I wrote on that story that summer, but when fall started for my last year in college, I really didn't update much until I graduated and I started working at the newspaper the next week. That's when I got really into it again.

I'm not sure if anything will ever really make me stop writing.... if I'm not writing BSB, I'll be writing something else. I admit though, this whole moving 4 hours away from home and crap has caused me not to write in over a week. *sigh*

myconfession

« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »

What site are ya'll talking about with the mods banning people?

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »

^it was a Take That Fanfic site that UK Steph belonged to.

I had my fanfiction break.  I really didn't write much of anything BSB fanfic related between 2007 and 2010, except 00Carter.  That was the only fanfic I worked on and since the group was still relatively large during that time I didn't write that frequently even. 

I go through a cycle.  I really get into writing, then I get back into my needlework, then my computer games, then to reading, then back to writing and repeat.  I am trying VERY hard not to stop writing as my cycle continues (I have hit my computer game part of my cycle). 

I almost stopped writing fanfiction last year. It was whenever I left 00Carter for the brief time I left that group but then I met more people, switched jobs at work, and wrote a story with a plot I loved and came back to writing fanfic and rejoining 00Carter. 

I think if I ever get published (not self published) then I would probably stop writing fanfiction to focus on writing more originals. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

I do remember way back in the day, all those other things that you mentioned about people and what they do in other fandoms, they used to do in this one. The self inserts, the self promotion. I remember at one point that if you didn't write slash or visuals or romances you were pretty much nothing in this fandom. I mean all that other stuff was stil out there but nowhere near as popular as it is now. We've come a long way and our standards have gotten higher but I think it's because we are all older.

I'm not positive but I think when you look at the 1D general fan population it represents more how this fandom was back for us maybe in 99 when most of their fans were teens and very early twenties.

Now most of us are in our mid twenties and up. Hopefully they'll evolve too as long as their group is still relevant lol

Not sure about the Take That fandom since i'm not really familiar with them, but that's just a mess! Banning people because they didn't read? That just takes power hungry douche to a whole new level!!

I think it's still like that on some BSB sites, like the fanfic section of the fan club forum.  The difference here is what we've made certain things taboo by ranting about them so much LOL.  You still see self-inserts on AC and self-promo on Twitter, and I doubt that will ever change, but those of us who spend so much time discussing this stuff on here have evolved past that.

I do think the 1D fandom is probably similar to how the BSB fandom started out.  It's always been said that boybands come around every ten years or so, and here we are - though it's been more like fifteen.  Craziness.  It's cute, though!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

Which brings me to a question...Do you ever feel like you're done with writing Fanfics? What are some of the reasons you want to quit and some of the reasons you don't quit?

In 12+ years, I have honestly never felt like quitting fanfic.  When I first started, I definitely never thought I would still be writing them as an adult; I thought I would stop when I went off to college, but I didn't, and here I am, 27 and still writing them! LOL  I don't have any other hobbies that I enjoy nearly this much, and I can't imagine my life without fanfic or writing in general.  My love for the Boys hasn't waned over the years, and as long as I love them and love writing and can keep coming up with ideas, I'll keep writing fanfic about them.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks the fanfic section of the BSB site or even Nick's site is a little too close for comfort? I would feel super awkward posting stories on there. I'm sure none of them ever go in and read them, but to have it right there on the official site where if they did, that might be the first place they'd look... yeah, no thanks. But maybe readership on there is really high?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »

LOL I agree that if they were going to go read fanfic for kicks, their own forum probably would be the place they'd look first, but that's not the reason I don't post my stories there.  I hate reading fanfics on a forum - that's why.  Also, the fan club fanfic forums, from what I've seen of them, seem really teenybopper compared to AC.  I haven't been on the BSB one in a long time, though, because my membership's expired.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:51 AM »

Oh I have another question that sort of relates to what you guys are saying about 1D being how our fandom was 10-15 years ago! There's this mega popular fanfic called Room 317 that started all this drama in the fandom because MTV did a bit about it, and the boys are aware of it, and it even trended on twitter partly because of all that.

If we'd had twitter back in the day, what BSB fanfic do you think could have trended/caused an uproar like that?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

myconfession

« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »

I think it's still like that on some BSB sites, like the fanfic section of the fan club forum.  The difference here is what we've made certain things taboo by ranting about them so much LOL.  You still see self-inserts on AC and self-promo on Twitter, and I doubt that will ever change, but those of us who spend so much time discussing this stuff on here have evolved past that.

There's so much more than self-inserts over here.... it's inserting yourself into the banners LMFAO!! That's one thing I can honestly say I've never done - used my picture in a banner lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:10 AM »

Oreos for Breakfast

It's not as popular on this forum, but back in the day, it seemed like everyone was raving about that story!!  It was the 50 Shades of Grey of BSB fanfic back in the mid-2000s or so LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »

There's so much more than self-inserts over here.... it's inserting yourself into the banners LMFAO!! That's one thing I can honestly say I've never done - used my picture in a banner lol

LOL I know!  Plenty of adult teenyboppers over here in the BSB fandom!
~Julie

myconfession

« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »

Oh I have another question that sort of relates to what you guys are saying about 1D being how our fandom was 10-15 years ago! There's this mega popular fanfic called Room 317 that started all this drama in the fandom because MTV did a bit about it, and the boys are aware of it, and it even trended on twitter partly because of all that.

If we'd had twitter back in the day, what BSB fanfic do you think could have trended/caused an uproar like that?

Probably. They obviously know about it, but there was a hell of a lot of slash with mixtures of BSB and NSync members back in the day and I think that would have caused an uproar.

That whole 317 thing MTV did was crazy LOL!

As for a story, I have idea LOL  Everybody talked about Oreos and IWBB (even tho it's mine, I hate it). And that one story that was AU where the guys were baseball players. Can't remember the name.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Oreos! I read that as it was being updated, even when I was deep into being a hipster and not into BSB at all LOL I still checked for updates. For a while, that story was my only tie to the BSB world haha.

~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »

I'd have to agree with Oreos... I never read it because it never interested me but I heard a lot about it all the time!  It was always up for some award at any award page I'd go to.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »

Yeah that stupid Oreos for Breakfast story would be the one most likely. It's all I ever heard about when I first discovered fanfics. It was definitely what i'd like to call the 'get on the bandwagon' story. Fortunately or unfortunately for me i'm always the one running behind the bandwagon throwing rocks at it. I think it's the growing up in the Bronx being a Mets fan in me LOL

I had no idea there was a fanfic section on the fanclubs, that's crazy! No, thank you!

Here's another question along the lines of what Steph just asked.

If you could pick five fanfics to put in a time capsule that would best represent the BSB fanfic fandom what would you choose and why?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35