Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78796 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

How long do you actually spend writing before your mind starts to wander & you start browsing the net etc... And no, just having Word opened all day doesn't count lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

It varies LOL. Sometimes I'll have been writing five minutes when I focus fail, mid sentence no less. Other times I'll write a full chapter with my focus unwavering and not go wander the net or something till it's done. There's no rhyme or reason to it with me.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »

Aw thanks for all the Running Up That Hill mentions guys.  :-*

I think the ones I'd put in a time capsule are...

1. Curtain Call by Julie
Definitely need to have one of the cancer stories in here, and even though Broken is a classic, this one was amazing. Nick in this story is so real, his thoughts sound exactly like something I could picture him thinking/saying.

2. Why I'd Do It All Again by Mare
I think this story is a perfect snapshot of the guys as the come back together to record and release Never Gone. There were so many hilarious moments, and so many really sweet bromantic moments as well. I think this story really showcases what the guys realistically are all about and how their relationships with each other probably are. It's a good bridge between their old school relationships, and the way they act now.

3. A Little Taste of Sin by Mel
Gotta have the Nick romance in there, and this is one of the best. The affair between Nick and Alyssa in this story is super hot, and the added emotional drama makes this story fantastic. Mel's characters are all very real and I'm sure over the course of reading this story I wanted to strangle all of them at some point!

4. Come Together by Izzy and Cecilia
I really loved this story, and I'm positive I read it back in the day, but I re-read it again very recently and it holds up. It's a nice story of the boys first starting out and learning about each other.

5. Where Can We Go From Here by Whitney
Of course we need a classic bus crash story. So old school, and awesome. I'm probably going to go read it right now, lol.

Wow, you can definitely tell my taste in fic from that list LOL.

My focus fails in writing tend to vary. Sometimes I can sit down and pound out an entire chapter without getting distracted. Other times I'll write a line, get up, walk around my apartment, write another line, check what's happening on twitter... I find that I get most of my writing done in the last hour of the evening before I go to bed, but other times I have been pretty good about spending the entire evening writing. It's hard for me not to get distracted. Twitter's bad for that!!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »

Twitter is such an enabler for Writer's ADD. I swear it calls to you LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2012, 07:24:14 PM »

I was just going to ask, what is your biggest distraction? For me it's this board & twitter lol

And thanks, Steph!  :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2012, 07:29:11 PM »

Yep, pretty much. Sometimes TDS but that's more to make sure the forum's not going to hell lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

Here's a question, do you tend to give your stories nicknames? And if so what are they?

I do tend to use nicknames.  With longer titles, I usually use the main word from the title... "Secrets" for Secrets of the Heart and "Undead" for Song for the Undead.  With shorter titles, I go with initials... BMS = By My Side, CC = Curtain Call, and GR = Guilty Roads.  I like one-word titles like Broken and 00Carter - they're easy!

Here's a random follow-up question:  When you see initials, do you read them as separate letters (i.e. "B. M. S.") or turn them into words ("Bums")?  Or a combination... i.e. "Woo, M.D." instead of "W. O. O. M. D."

Believe it or not, I actually had a conversation with a friend about this once!  I tend to find words in abbreviations. .. although I do call By My Side "B. M. S." in my head and not "Bums" LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »

How long do you actually spend writing before your mind starts to wander & you start browsing the net etc... And no, just having Word opened all day doesn't count lol

Two minutes?

LMAO Seriously, my attention span when it comes to writing is super short lately.  I basically focus as long as it takes me to get a thought out, and then I get online and check Twitter.  Sometimes I stop mid-sentence if I'm not sure how to finish the sentence.  It's bad!!

The maximum I can focus is usually about fifteen minutes, UNLESS I am really inspired and emotionally into the scene I'm writing, OR it's 3 a.m. and no one is online, so I knew it's pointless to check Twitter and the forums LOL.  Then I can write for half an hour, maybe even an hour or more without getting too distracted.

I was just going to ask, what is your biggest distraction? For me it's this board & twitter lol

And thanks, Steph!  :)

Ditto on everything Mare said!  This board and Twitter, and thanks, Steph!  You just made my night with what you said about CC!! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »

I have so much focus fail lately. I will go to write and stare at my phone for a while, then I will go check AC, then Facebook, then twitter. Sometimes I start watching youtube and fail even more.

I usually get more writing done while I'm at work, middle of the night or early morning when nobody is online. I'm up all night and bored easily so I will start something and write here and there.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »

Two minutes?

LMAO Seriously, my attention span when it comes to writing is super short lately.  I basically focus as long as it takes me to get a thought out, and then I get online and check Twitter.  Sometimes I stop mid-sentence if I'm not sure how to finish the sentence.  It's bad!!

The maximum I can focus is usually about fifteen minutes, UNLESS I am really inspired and emotionally into the scene I'm writing, OR it's 3 a.m. and no one is online, so I knew it's pointless to check Twitter and the forums LOL.  Then I can write for half an hour, maybe even an hour or more without getting too distracted.

Ditto on everything Mare said!  This board and Twitter, and thanks, Steph!  You just made my night with what you said about CC!! :)

*coughs*Or mid-word...;D LOL.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »

Hmmm biggest distraction? Work because I work like 6653635635 hours a week. I write in between jobs, on break, or when I am home in the morning before bed.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »

With me it varies too, sometimes I can sit and type a couple of thousand words in one go and stay completely focused.  Other times, I might type a few sentences and then wander over to Twitter, here or something like Amazon.  I actually started a chapter of my story the other night, began doing some research and then didn't go back to it at all :(  Instead I watched a bit of Supernatural, which has nothing to do with what I'm writing!

Biggest distraction for me would be the internet in general.  I can lose hours browsing pointless stuff and I really don't know how I do it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »

I've been trying to figure out how to word this before I posted so I hope this question makes sense lol

What is one thing you find intriguing about BSB and their relationship to one another that you have explored or would like to explore?

For instance, I always found the huge age difference between Nick and Kevin kind of fascinating. How you can have a 12 year old and a 21 year old as co-workers. I always thought that relationship was always interesting and worth exploring because when I tried to picture that in my life it would be as if I was thrown into a band my first year teaching with a 6th grader! That's just insane to me!!

In the process of reading some of my older stories (which I still hope you guys do that in the challenge thread since I will be posting in there regularly and don't want to seem like a self involved douche lol) I noticed I used The Apartment to really showcase the weirdness that must have been those really early days for Kevin, being thrown into a band with a tween who wasn't the most mature kid to even begin with. I WISH I could have really seen what it was like back then for them. LOL

So yeah, I guess my answer is Kevin and Nick's relationship and age difference. I mean now that they're older it's not as big of a deal but still, it's kind of neat.

Did all that make sense?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

Brian and Nick's relationship. The fact that they were five years apart (which was a big difference and grew into a smaller one) but as their age gap seemed to be less prominent, Brian started to grow up and get a lot more mature. I've always been really interested in that because they were so close, yet their values seemed to be such polar opposites. I'm also really interested in reading about how Nick dealt with Brian getting married, and even when Brian started dating Leighanne in the first place. I don't know that there's any fic that really covered that first meeting of Brian and Leighanne at the video shoot and what Nick thought about it, or if he thought anything about it at all! But I think it'd be interesting to read, even as just a one-shot.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

Hrmm I don't know if I've ever seen a fic like that either but then again if it was a Brian fic & had Leighanne's name in the summary, I wouldn't have ever clicked on it in the first place lol

You know, I have to say that if they were all the same age I honestly don't think I would have become so into wanting to know more about them. The fact that their ages were all over the place & because of that they were more like brothers then just a gang of friends who all went to high school or college together is what drew me in lol even AU stories if they are the same age I'm like eww lol how odd is that?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35