Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78802 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »

I love the Nick and Kevin relationship as well, it is really fascinating to me how all the guys are apart in age, yet they all seem to bond really well. Just the whole group dynamic is really fun to play with. I've been looking for a idea for a canon story since I wrote FYO, because I don't want to be known for only writing AU. I want to challenge myself :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »

Those are both good ones!  I love Frick & Frack stories, and I find the Nick/Kevin relationship interesting too.  Just to be different, I'm going to add that I find the A-Rok relationship interesting.  Brian and AJ are complete opposites in so many ways, from their personal style to their whole lifestyle, and yet, in a classic case of opposites attracting, they mesh so well.

This video sums up my A-Rok love:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGXQFhk3Gs

I love their sense of humor and the way they can just bounce back and forth off each other forever.  I also love that AJ is the only one who still calls Brian "Rok."

As far as exploring it in my stories... I don't write a lot of combo stories; they're mostly either group stories or stories about one of them with the other four in basically equal supporting roles.  So I haven't really delved into AJ and Brian's relationship any more or less than I have the other guys.  But I have explored that idea of them being so different, yet so similar in some ways in the AU I'm writing, Secrets of the Heart.  It's funny because they live completely separate lives in the story and only have one scene together (which is in the next chapter I need to post), but they're connected by tragedy and live lives that, while on different ends of the spectrum, are actually very similar in a lot of ways.  It worked well to use those two because even in an AU, I like to keep their personalities as true to life as possible, and Brian and AJ just created such an interesting dynamic.

Rose and I have also explored their differences in Song for the Undead.  Brian starts out as this happy family man who loves his life, whereas AJ is a suicidal addict who hates society, and as the world dies, Brian loses everything, including his faith in God, and completely falls apart, whereas AJ finally finds his place in life and thrives in the post-apocalyptic world.  They don't exactly switch places, but their outlooks on life definitely change and become more similar to each other.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »

I love the Frick/Frack bond. I typically tend to explore it in all my stories, group or otherwise. They're my two favorite boys and I just always liked their relationship, especially now that they've seemed to fix it over the past few years. I do like delving into the distant years, and what may have caused that for awhile.

The other one is Kevin/Nick, because of their age difference. I usually write it as Nick idolizing Kevin so much as a kid he drove him insane when all he wanted was for Kevin to like him LOL. Their brotherly relationship is one I can relate to because my oldest brother has a big age gap from me and our relationship is kinda similar.

Oh, and Howie/Nick. I like this one cause they really do seem close lately. Not to mention, Howie's been there a lot for Nick. Like during NON when they all seemed to be mad at him, Howie was the one who went to his video shoot for support and the most of his concerts. He's also the forgotten one so I really love to play off of that and show that Nick's always noticed what Howie does for him, even if fans forget about him. Plus, Nick loves to pick on Howie so that's fun LOL.

I also adore AJ/Brian, the best example of that is the one Julie mentioned in Undead. :)

I never really explored much beyond that, though now in Here We Stand I dove into the one between Kevin and Brian because lately I can really relate to the whole... "family who never really hung out much growing up but now are really good friends" deal. It's an interesting one since they grew up together.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:30:28 PM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

I love exploring Nick & Howie's relationship as well! Nick & AJ have an interesting relationship as well. And I guess the only pairing not mentioned is Kevin & Howie. I think out of all of them those two are more friends then brothers, in my mind anyway lol

It's weird but Nick/Brian is a bond I enjoy but one I noticed I don't really delve into all that much unless I have one carving words into the other lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »

I love Nick/AJ because in a lot of ways they're similar yet SO different in others. I feel like they probably get each other on a level others don't because they've dealt with a lot of the same issues.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2012, 07:56:13 PM »

I agree, I think the two of them are a lot closer then they seem & I also think they really do tend to look out for each other.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »

It's weird but Nick/Brian is a bond I enjoy but one I noticed I don't really delve into all that much unless I have one carving words into the other lol

LMFAO Best line ever!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »

Thanks! :) lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2012, 11:15:21 PM »

I love Nick/Howie. I explored that a bit when I wrote my short "Howie Snaps" and I had a lot of fun having them interact. Howie's been growing on me lately :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:58 AM »

You know, since we were talking a couple pages ago about everyone's spin on things. Maybe we should do another "Same Plot/Different Author" challenge again. The last one we did was what...2010? lol. And the various bus breaking down stories were pretty epic LOL.

Just a random thought, and it'd really show again how we can all use the same plot idea and still keep our own voices. I think it'd make for some neat discussion if each of us in here read them and then talked about it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »

Maybe when we start the challenges up again, that would be a possiblity as long as lots of people participated. Once life slows down a little bit for everybody. Fall seems to be bad for challenges just looking back to past years.

That would make a good question in the meantime here though.

Have you ever read a story where you see more than one author playing out the same exact plot or idea and think wow they are completely different takes on the same thing? Or do you tend to think wow one is totally copying off of the other? Or think it's too similar even if it's not copying? If so, have you ever given up on one story and continued reading the other?

Have you ever stayed away from a topic just because you see someone else tackle it? Or on the other end of the spectrum do you try to use other people's ideas and just make them your own?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »

I've seen authors do the same idea. Usually it's just coincidence lol. I mean like there's been several Nick cancer stories, for example, but there's always a difference. Hell, Julie's written more than one and yet they're different takes completely on the same plot. So if the writing's good, I tend to not care. At least not unless there's every little thing that's the same and so you're pretty sure one stole the idea from the other. I've only seen that happen once in the past few years though.

I don't usually care if someone's tackling the same idea, though usually it's after me lol. There's only been one time where I had an idea, started it, and someone beat me to it. And the ideas were too similar even for my liking and it just kinda killed my inspiration. Total coincidence but I never touched it since lol. I think it's neat though when a few authors might have the same idea but took it in a total different direction. Like with HWS and Scattered Picture. Same concept, but different ways we went about it.

As for other ideas...usuall y I don't. I tend to have no problems coming up with new story ideas. That, and usually I feel like I wouldn't do them justice. In fact "Here We Stand" is really the first time I took an idea someone other than myself came up with. I just happened to see you say that Mare and fall in love with it LOL. I'm not even sure if I'm doing it justice but I love writing it so much that I just don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »

Yeah, I liken the whole same plot ideas to movies because movies are infamous for doing the same thing at once. Like this summer it was all about action heroes. And then you had those two takes on Snow White. In almost all instances they tend to be different enough that it doesn't make much of a difference as long as they aren't blatant copies of each other.

I think story trends seem to be the same, especially when it comes to the real life aspect of BSB. I mean now they are together you expect a surge in stories about them coming back together. Like when Kevin left, you kind of expected a wave of stories about that too. When anything major happens there are stories popping up having to deal with it but because each of us have our own distinct voices, it doesn't feel like it's a copy.

I do admit, when it's not real life events though and you see a story about something totally different like the boys joining a circus and the story is doing really well and then a month later someone else posts a story about the boys joining a circus I roll my eyes and think "copy cat" lol But I mean that's an extreme example of stealing an idea.

Other things like disease and family drama, bus crashes, etc... those plots are so over done they kind of belong to everyone. I think those are the interesting ones to read everyone's takes on those.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »

Don't forget kidnapping/psycho fans lol. Those used to be a given too. Yeah, I noticed a little surge of old school type stories, mostly one-shots. And really, who's surprised by that? I mean the Boys lived a fanfic over in London, of course their bromancy time inspired us all.

Exactly, and I've even had that happen to me lol. When Undead started taking off, someone started posting a zombie fic that took place during a war in 2012 and I was like... wait, really? LOL. Not that it lasted long, but my immediate thought was "Wow, copycat much?"

That's a good question, how do you feel when your story becomes popular and you see stories like yours popping up? With the more "out there" ideas I mean, rather than the typical ones that kind of just go to everyone.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »

I don't know if I can answer that question, because that's never happened to me lol. The stories I've written have pretty much all been Nick romance, so I don't think I've really done anything that's too "out there."
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35