Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78754 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #300 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:40 AM »

It is totally shameless. Is never want someone to read myself because I pestered them, and being pestered really makes me want to read whatever story it is I'm being pestered about a lot less!

That being said, I can understand It sort of. It can be hard to see a lot of other people get loads of comments and then you get a minimal amount. You want to know what parts of your update readers liked and if they got excited about the same things you got excited about while writing it. So it can be discouraging when that doesn't happen. Especially when read count goes up but reviews don't, I know I wonder what made people click out and why they didn't like it.

But I know that I personally write stuff that doesn't appeal to everyone. So meh. Begging for reviews takes a lot of time that could be better spent writing more.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #301 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:47 AM »

I have people on twitter who have told me if I update to let them know. These people don't review, so I just will let them know once and that's it. They aren't regulars on ac so they wouldn't know otherwise.

As for holding chapters until someone reviews, no I'd never do that. I have stories with no reviews for some chapters and I would get frustrated but still keep posting because I wanted to finish it. Even if nobody is gonna read it, I would continue to post until the story was completed. Like today I joked for someone to review FC because I don't like odd numbers, but it was a joke. I don't believe in holding stories hostage like that, its mean to the readers.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2012, 04:25:26 AM »

It is totally shameless. Is never want someone to read myself because I pestered them, and being pestered really makes me want to read whatever story it is I'm being pestered about a lot less!

That being said, I can understand It sort of. It can be hard to see a lot of other people get loads of comments and then you get a minimal amount. You want to know what parts of your update readers liked and if they got excited about the same things you got excited about while writing it. So it can be discouraging when that doesn't happen. Especially when read count goes up but reviews don't, I know I wonder what made people click out and why they didn't like it.

But I know that I personally write stuff that doesn't appeal to everyone. So meh. Begging for reviews takes a lot of time that could be better spent writing more.

I get how the review thing is frustrating. It's just the fact is, threatening to delay updates or withhold them completely doesn't solve anything. Typically it's attention seeking and puts people off. I'm the same way, some of my ideas appeal, others are kind of out there so I know those won't get as much attention. But like you said, it's time wasted.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2012, 05:42:43 AM »

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true, that It doesnt solve anything. I have withheld chapters, there have been times when I've had three or four written, but I space out the updates. It's not saying, oh I won't update until I get 25 reviews or whatever, but the logic behind it is the same.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »

I have people on twitter who have told me if I update to let them know. These people don't review, so I just will let them know once and that's it. They aren't regulars on ac so they wouldn't know otherwise.

I will never get people like that.  Why not just sign up for an account and favorite the stories you're reading so you'll know when they're updated and can leave reviews?  Requesting that the author notify you personally when they update is just lazy and self-centered, and then to not even review after reading is downright douchey!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2012, 06:10:35 AM »

Does anyone find they're just less motivated to actually post chapters when there's hardly anyone reading them or begging for updates?  I find I can hang on to updates longer and even hoard a few chapters with stories that I know no one's waiting on the edge of their seat for, whereas with the more popular ones, I feel compelled to update ASAP.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:46 AM »

Ah, the withholding chapters until you review me threat. I used to see that a lot when I first started reading and writing fanfic to the point that I thought that was just the normal thing to do.  I think 99% of us have moved on from that mind set, but then there's that 1% who never really ventured out of that old school way of thinking.

I don't ever see anyone doing that at all but then again, I'm also just going by what and who I currently am reading and none of them do that. I think there's a difference between saying "Hey I'd love some feedback!" And "If you don't review I'm not posting!" The first one is kind of saying I want to know what you think of my stuff so I can improve or at least figure out what people like or dislike about it. The other one is just pompous, assuming there are a billion people reading your story and that's it's so great that if you don't get an update on it, you might possibly die. Those people don't even want 'feedback' they just want to hear how incredible they are! Which is why when people do that and you are nice enough to leave them 'feedback' make it real and tell them what they are doing wrong!

I do really think feedback is an essential way to keep fanfic going strong and I do understand why people get disillusioned when they don't get it, especially when it's something they're really proud of. I also know that to say we write for ourselves is all well and good but I think the second sentence of that overused term should be but I post it for the readers and the reactions I'll get.

If all we really cared about was writing for ourselves then there would be no reason to post it on the Internet for people to read and people wouldn't be checking read counts or be discouraged about number or lack of reviews. I know I get bummed if something I've worked really hard on gets no response and it does make me not as excited to write on it.

When I used to write so much that I had a ton of chapters waiting to post, I always still posted them whether I got reviews or not. For me though, if I am writing on something that I feel like is barely being read, I don't try so hard to update it. The sequel to Protect and Serve was a perfect example of that. It's not like I had the chapters done and was like "Well screw you! I'm not posting another thing until you review!" But instead more like "Why even bother finishing it because I don't care, I already know how it ends in my mind. If they don't' want to read it, I don't have to write it" lol  <-- I think  in that story's case though, people bugged me relentlessly to write it and for updates but when I started those people disappeared. That is one of my pet peeves! When people bug you endlessly for an update and then don't even bother to review. It's as annoying as people who don't respond to their reviews.

Wow, tangents abound lol sorry this is so long and blabbery!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »

I will never get people like that.  Why not just sign up for an account and favorite the stories you're reading so you'll know when they're updated and can leave reviews?  Requesting that the author notify you personally when they update is just lazy and self-centered, and then to not even review after reading is downright douchey!

I agree with this 100%
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2012, 07:10:36 AM »

Yeah I agree, if they want to know when I have updated they should get an account and get the email notifications. I do that with stories I'm reading. I also favorite authors so I know when they post something new.

I will admit that I do lose interest when nobody has reviewed something I was excited to write, it isn't about the review count but I just want to know how people liked it. That's why I lost interest in one of my romance stories, nobody was asking for updates or seemed excited, so I stopped writing it. If a story seems to be doing well, I'm more motivated to write on it.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

How do you guys feel about authors try to "punish" their readers if they don't review?

I don't agree with it at all!  In fact, it's a peeve of mine.  I used to see it over on another site I used to visit and it made me not want to read or review.

If the writer were to put something like 'feedback would be great', then that shows they actually care what the reader thinks.  But to put things like 'No updates until I get 20 reviews' or something like that would just make me think they have a huge ego, lol.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »

I think they should sign up for an account.  It will only take a minute and then you don't have to chase them up on Twitter :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »

Yeah seriously, it takes hours for us to write these chapters & about twenty seconds for them to sign up for an account on AC!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:51:47 PM by mare »

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »

I don't understand why people dont sign up. It's free and it takes two seconds and it makes it really easy to keep track of everything you're reading lol
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2012, 03:45:59 PM »

I try to tell people that lol. I don't know why they don't want to join. It's free. You get notifications when someone updates and you don't have to post stories to have an account. It also irks me when they tell me to let them know when I've update, then they never tell me they read it. LOL it's so annoying. I just want to know if you liked it or not.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »

Just wanted to say, Mare, I agree with everything you said about feedback and writing for yourself, but also posting it for readers' reactions.  So true!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35