Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78814 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2012, 07:04:37 AM »

When I was quite new here, I started a collab with someone but she vanished before we'd really had a chance to get any writing done.  I don't think we would've written a very good story either because the writing styles were different and I didn't really know her.

I knew when Lore and I started talking about a collab that it would be fun, because we had the same ideas and can talk about other stuff too, so I feel like I know her.  I think that's important, to be able to talk to your collab partner.

I don't know who else I'd write with.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »

I have never had the desire to write a collab. I enjoy the process of writing alone. I've been asked several times and have always politely declined.

The only collabs I would work on would be more like a do your own thing and have the other writer's play off what the the person proceeding you wrote like Phantasm and my collab with Mersey and Maria.

We never had to plot the story or discuss anything other than what genre we were going to write and then we just waited for each other to actually write it. It was more like improv and less like a real collaboration if that makes sense? Those I would be willing to do with anyone as part of a huge collab, but not to the point where we have to outline a story and assign parts etc... I give you guys credit for doing that. It's just not me. I'm too spontaneous. LOL

What I have noticed for me, with the exception of Swenglish and Jenna I find I usually tend not to enjoy reading collabs. I have no idea if it's just a coincidence or if it's a flow or inconsistency issue.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #362 on: August 25, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

See with Julie and I, our setup is different than it was with say Code Blue and 00Carter, which had so many writers at one point that you had to assign parts or it would get messy lol. With Undead, because there were ten characters, it was pretty simple to just divide up the characters and each wrote those parts. We outlined cause we're anal LOL.

I think you can tell earlier in the story who wrote what more, because that was when we still had Dee. Her style stood out the most against mine and Julie's, which is more similar. I'd like to think now that unless we've told you, it's harder to see who wrote what. Because we stuck to writing the same people the whole way through, I feel like consistency isn't too big of a problem.

One thing about collabs, is that I've learned that any more than two writers tends to fail lol. Or gets held up. Code Blue pretty much ended up on hiatus. 00Carter has had so many people drop and ends up on huge delays. Undead started off with three and did have problems in the beginning until it became just Julie and I and that's when everything smoothed itself out.

I can't imagine writing with anyone else now though. Undead is on it's way to being finished and we have so many future ideas for stories lined up it's a little insane LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »

Rose, you and Julie write so well together that you can't tell who wrote which bit.

With the collab that me and Lore are doing, we take turns writing the chapters and discuss what's going to happen in the chapter before writing it.  I'm not sure if anyone can tell who wrote what, but it seems to flow well to me, I just have to keep remembering to spell things the American way, lol.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »

What I have noticed for me, with the exception of Swenglish and Jenna I find I usually tend not to enjoy reading collabs. I have no idea if it's just a coincidence or if it's a flow or inconsistency issue.

I feel the same, though I didn't like Swollen Issues (aka the fic that never ends...). I typically avoid collabs because I can always tell when the writer changes. It's especially bad when it changes mid-chapter. It's not SO annoying when the writers are writing different characters because it stands to reason that they would have a different "voice" but overall I'm pretty meh about them.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #365 on: August 25, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »

I loved Swollen Issues because of the actual story. I thought the drama was awesome but yeah, three stories is a bit long for any story to be told but for cancer it's just cruel which is why that one should win for best Nick torture story! I mean three really long stories culminating in him dying after all of that!! LOL Oops I should have put *spoiler alert!

I think it's harder to keep it consistent when there's more than two people writing on anything because that would be just a rarity to find that many people who were able to write in the same style.

I am trying to think of another question but nothing comes to mind lol my brain isn't working this afternoon.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #366 on: August 25, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »

I loved Swollen Issues because of the actual story. I thought the drama was awesome but yeah, three stories is a bit long for any story to be told but for cancer it's just cruel which is why that one should win for best Nick torture story! I mean three really long stories culminating in him dying after all of that!! LOL Oops I should have put *spoiler alert!

I think it's harder to keep it consistent when there's more than two people writing on anything because that would be just a rarity to find that many people who were able to write in the same style.

I am trying to think of another question but nothing comes to mind lol my brain isn't working this afternoon.

LMAO you know I'm actually surprised it didn't get nominated for the "Please Don't Hurt Me Anymore!" one yet, since he does suffer for three stories before finally dying lmao. Then again, it's an older set of stories.

And yeah, it is harder to keep it consistent. 00Carter had that problem in the beginning cause we had like...10 people writing the damn thing lol. It's smoothed out once people left, but it was definitely an issue.

Rose, you and Julie write so well together that you can't tell who wrote which bit.

With the collab that me and Lore are doing, we take turns writing the chapters and discuss what's going to happen in the chapter before writing it.  I'm not sure if anyone can tell who wrote what, but it seems to flow well to me, I just have to keep remembering to spell things the American way, lol.

Thanks Steph. :) I'm biased so it's nice hearing that from someone else LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #367 on: August 25, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »

^ With that many people the whole consistency thing while updating woule be a problem too i'm sure. Sometimes with two people it can still be bad if one person is more on top of things then the other. It means the reader diesn't have to wait for updates on week but then maybe waiting for a month when it's the other person's turn. LOL

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #368 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »

^ With that many people the whole consistency thing while updating woule be a problem too i'm sure. Sometimes with two people it can still be bad if one person is more on top of things then the other. It means the reader diesn't have to wait for updates on week but then maybe waiting for a month when it's the other person's turn. LOL

It is! LOL. It's why 00Carter has maybe an episode a year if we're lucky.

With Julie and I, we usually don't have that problem. I mean we both have moments where life gets in the way and it delays updates. But we're on the same page with it. If you find the right collaborator, it's the kind of thing that can bring out the best in both authors.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »

I collaborate best with me. I hardly ever fight with myself and usually get my way. It's a perfect relationship! lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »

LOL as long as you don't kill yourself the way you have Nick do in Whatever The Night right?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »

That would be like putting a spoiler alert on the end of Star Wars lol Anyone who hasn't read it after like, ten years deserves to have it spoiled :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »

I collaborate best with me. I hardly ever fight with myself and usually get my way. It's a perfect relationship! lol

I get IN my way, does that count?
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »

LOL as long as you don't kill yourself the way you have Nick do in Whatever The Night right?

Yes, although he did get better lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »

That would be like putting a spoiler alert on the end of Star Wars lol Anyone who hasn't read it after like, ten years deserves to have it spoiled :P

This is true lol
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35