Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78753 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2012, 02:19:07 PM »

have you ever been nervous to see how readers will react to a certain chapter? or information revealed in a chapter?

The only time I ever got a bit nervous posting a chapter was when I killed Jordan off in Save A Prayer.  I did wonder if the bot flies were a bit too much, and I'd even tamed the chapter down before posting because I was making myself gag a bit, lol.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »

The only time I ever got a bit nervous posting a chapter was when I killed Jordan off in Save A Prayer.  I did wonder if the bot flies were a bit too much, and I'd even tamed the chapter down before posting because I was making myself gag a bit, lol.

I still love that scene LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »

I don't know if I'd call it nervous but I do get excited to see what the reaction will be when I know my readers don't see what's coming. When I get the sense they have figured things out its not as fun but since I love writing plot twists & turns & some big reveal is coming up that I can tell no one has figured out I usually can't wait to see the reactions and like Tracy mentioned, that's the only time I find myself really impatient when it comes to reviews lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »

I still love that scene LOL.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »

I don't know if I'd call it nervous but I do get excited to see what the reaction will be when I know my readers don't see what's coming. When I get the sense they have figured things out its not as fun but since I love writing plot twists & turns & some big reveal is coming up that I can tell no one has figured out I usually can't wait to see the reactions and like Tracy mentioned, that's the only time I find myself really impatient when it comes to reviews lol

I love trying to guess what's going to happen, but I also love when I'm completely wrong :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

I don't know why, but I'm comfortable with writing sex scenes. That might make me a freak or something, but *shrugs* It's human nature. .

I'm comfortable writing with writing murder scenes, does that make me a freak? Lol I think we all just have strengths and weaknesses.  I think it's great too because it makes it possible for so many genres to exist so that there really is something for everyone! :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »

have you ever been nervous to see how readers will react to a certain chapter? or information revealed in a chapter?

Not nervous really, more curious. I feel like nervous would mean there's a chance for regret and for me it's take it or leave it with readers. They either dig it or they dont.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #427 on: August 27, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

Not nervous really, more curious. I feel like nervous would mean there's a chance for regret and for me it's take it or leave it with readers. They either dig it or they dont.

Nervous was probably the wrong word, I was anxious about a chapter I just updated wondering how my readers would react.   
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #428 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »

Here's a question in relation to Lore's. Have you ever been surprised by some of the reactions you have gotten on a chapter? Like something you werent expecting? And did it effect your motivation for continuing with the story?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »

I love trying to guess what's going to happen, but I also love when I'm completely wrong :)

Me too!! I love reading stories & being. Completely surprised by something because the Nancy Drew in me always tries to figure out what's happening the first few sentences lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »

I do feel nervous about posting certain chapters!  But it's a good, excited kind of nervous.  Usually the chapters that do that to me are the pivotal moments in the story - the first time the word "amputation" is mentioned in Broken, the first zombie chapter of Undead, the chapter where Nick finds out he's dying in Curtain Call (and I guess the chapter where you find out he's sick in the first place too).  I have one of those coming up tomorrow in Secrets.  I'm always anxious about the reaction those kinds of chapters are going to get.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

In response to the feedback question, I have gotten comments like that on Finding Carter. Some felt that I should have explained the reason for Brian and Nick being together more, and I was a little disappointed that some seemed to stop reading after that. If they'd just waited, they would see i have a reason for not revealing that right away.

I almost stopped writing it at that point, but i decided to keep going because I like writing it, not for the feedback but because I like the story idea.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

Here's a question in relation to Lore's. Have you ever been surprised by some of the reactions you have gotten on a chapter? Like something you werent expecting? And did it effect your motivation for continuing with the story?

If I'm surprised by the reactions, it's usually in a good way.  I worried about the reaction all of the chapters in my above post were going to get ("Zombies?  Really?" or "Another cancer story?  Really?"), but they all got the reactions I was HOPING for and not the ones I was afraid of getting, so I was surprised in a good way.

The only time I'm surprised in a bad way is when I try to write a mystery and everyone figures it out right away LOL.  I am just not creative enough to keep people guessing for long!  But I can't blame people for trying to figure it out because I do the same thing when I'm reading.  I just need to get better at fooling them or stop trying! LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

myconfession

« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »

If I'm surprised by the reactions, it's usually in a good way.  I worried about the reaction all of the chapters in my above post were going to get ("Zombies?  Really?" or "Another cancer story?  Really?"), but they all got the reactions I was HOPING for and not the ones I was afraid of getting, so I was surprised in a good way.

I'm kind of the same way. I come up with a story idea and I'm always afraid that people are gonna be like "another story about a singer?" or "another story with a NASCAR driver as a supporting character" or something like that.

Sometimes when I post chapters, I expect people to freak out about something or like something and they don't and go crazy about something else, like the scene in "Fearless" where Nick came in his pants and Karsyn called herself a super hero. People liked that one and I never expected that.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »

Definitely. When it was revealed in RMTW that Nick was diagnosed with Early-Onset Alzheimer's, I was really nervous about the reaction. It was different and I didn't know if people would think it was good or bad. I only waited five chapters I think it was before revealing it, and so far I was getting a positive response. So I was definitely nervous about posting that chapter LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35