Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47320 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »

Apparently I should only be "righting" about real people... real people who are really dying of real diseases... for real.  Shame on me for making up a story!!!  LIES!  ALL LIES!!!  :P
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »

When you get a new idea for a fanfic, do you like to share it with someone or save it as a big surprise? Have you ever waited a little too long to post something that you thought was an incredibly original idea only to see that someone else suddenly posts an idea similar to yours before you get to? Would you scrap the idea or still go ahead and do it even if it meant people might think you were copying?

I almost always keep my ideas to myself.  I like them to be a surprise.  Sometimes I will tell one person, especially if I'm in need of an opinion before I decide whether to keep writing or post it.  Sometimes I don't tell anyone.

I have definitely had that happen, where I hold on to an idea for too long and then someone posts a story that seems eerily similar.  It's not like I come up with super original ideas, so it's not that tough to think up an idea that's similar to one of mine LOL.  Usually, though, the other story turns out to be different enough that it ends up not seeming like much of a "threat" - that or it just gets abandoned and doesn't matter anymore.

This isn't fanfic, but for awhile it was happening with Lurlene McDaniel, who was my favorite author in middle school.  When I was thinking of rewriting Broken as an original novel, she published one about a guy who loses his leg to bone cancer.  And then when I was still in the early stages of Secrets of the Heart, which would be an easy one to novelize, she published one about cellular memory following a heart transplant.  I was like, really, are you kidding me?!  But I bought and read both books, and neither one was really that similar to my stories - and to be honest, at the risk of sounding arrogant, I liked both of mine better, so nyah!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »

LOL Julie, what a strange email to have received.  Surely they've heard of Google?  Did the person honestly think they were reading Nick's real story, OMG :)

In one of my old Take That stories, someone actually messaged me and asked about a scene I wrote where the main (female called Steph, LOL) character goes to get an abortion after having a one nighter with Jason whilst married to Gary (who'd had a vasectomy in the story).  She thought it was real!  Not the whole Gary/Jason thing, but she thought I was somehow involved in a love triangle which resulted in me getting pregnant.  My life has never been that exciting! :D

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

Have you ever watched a show, movie or read a book that reminded you of someone's fanfic or of one of your own?

The whole 11/22/63 thing is what sparked this question. lol

Yes, The Walking Dead reminds me of Song For The Undead.  There have been some episodes where I've wondered if the TV show writers have been reading Julie and Rose's story!

Also parts of 11/22/63 remind me of Whatever The Night May Bring.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »

When you get a new idea for a fanfic, do you like to share it with someone or save it as a big surprise? Have you ever waited a little too long to post something that you thought was an incredibly original idea only to see that someone else suddenly posts an idea similar to yours before you get to? Would you scrap the idea or still go ahead and do it even if it meant people might think you were copying?

I don't usually share, the only time I have is with Lore when we've chatted about ideas.

If someone posted a story which was very much like an idea I had, I'm not really sure whether I'd go ahead with it.  It depends how much like my story it is.  I would hate for anyone to think I'd copied someone else.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »

That email cracks me up LOL. Hello, google!

As for things reminding me of fanfic, I definitely did with 11/22/63 towards the end cause it reminded me of Mare lol. Stephen King read her story :P hahaha. And when Julie and I saw the trailer for Walking Dead when it first started airing, we immediately thought of Undead lol. There's a few similarities and I get such a kick out of it lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

I got a reply from that person who emailed me about Curtain Call. Surprise surprise, she's an old person! (Not surprised at all.)

I had gone to doctor that day and he told me he couldn't hear my heart, I'm 63 and have heart problems. I googled doctor couldn't hear my heart and brought up few things. So did it now to see where I found story. Last one on page says curtain call then website. It has few lines from story about heart lungs and stethoscope, no explanation of what it is. I clicked on it goes directly to story. I started reading which took like 4-5 days from my phone. Was totally entranced and read whole thing, mentioned different things to my daughter. Knew wasn't true when got to dying part and was stymied because I knew he wasn't dead. Then at end had info about fiction. I have a niece recently diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma that started with swelling in her chest so sounded similar. So when he went thru chemo and still transplant I was shocked. She's doing chemo now. Anyway wanted you to know how I found it and wasn't connected to fan site.
Thanks for answering.

I get site referrals all the time from people googling random medical symptoms and clicking on chapters of Broken or now CC, but most of them click right out again when they realize it's a story, not an answer to their questions. I have a button at the bottom of every page of my site that links back to the main page just because of that. Apparently she never looked at or clicked on that.  Guess I need to add the disclaimer to the bottom of every page too! LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

For example...

"what is the white blob and. the little white speck in my ultrasound"

Search terms that led to a BMS chapter this morning LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »

He couldn't hear her heart? lol that's freaky. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

LOL I always love your site referrals Julie. Shame on you for not having a disclaimer on every page :P.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »

I found her search in my site referrals - so odd that after all the medical sites, Curtain Call is the 10th result LOL.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-launcher-widget&q=doctor+couldnt+hear+my+heart+with+stethoscope

Sorry if we're getting off topic.  If I could think of a new fanfic question, I'd post one!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »

LOL if I was looking for answers to a medical problem and clicked on something that turned out to be fanfic, I would click straight back out again and continue looking for answers to my problem :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

I do find that amusing that it took her such a long time to figure it out! She was probably like "Wow, this medical journal really does give out a little too much information! I didn't have to know this girl had a pig!" lmao

I really don't have a question for you guys. Hopefully someone will think of something.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »

Now that I just said that, I do have a question!

What is the most outlandish piece of feedback you have ever gotten? lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »

Mine was probably from the person who thought I was writing about real events with my Take That love triangle story.  She said she was available to talk if I needed to! And then she also asked if she could copy some of my story to use in her own story.  Cheeky cow, LOL.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19