Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47709 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

I know but I get accused of saying it often enough, I wanted to make it clear LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »

What is one fanfic you've read that surprised you? What made you click on it in the first place? Was it something you would normally read?

It's a tale of two Stephs lol

Save a Prayer by Steph really surprised me. I had only read one story by Steph prior to that and it was Rewind. When I saw the summary and that it was about a plane crash I got all excited because it's been awhile since i've seen an action/adventure storyline. I admit I probably wouldn't have read it because I saw it had NKOTB in it but I also knew she didn't have much love for them so it gave me hope they would meet their fate early on and I wasn't disappointed lol

This was such a stretch for Steph and she did an amazing job with it!

The other story that surprised me was Running Up That Hill by Saka Steph. I only knew Saka as a romance writer so I had never really read anything by her. The summary sounded so interesting and promising, I thought i'd give it a try but I admit I was also a little worried that at any point a random female character was going to pop in and try to take over. I was so pleasantly surprised by this story. Steph is an amazing writer and does such a great job portraying the boys! Just like Other Steph lol Saka came out of her comfort zone for this one and did an amazing job.

It was the same way for Tracy's Figured You Out. I was surprised by that one as well.

I'm sure there have been others, but those three stick out as things I wouldn't have guessed they would have written.

Oh, you said one, well I cheated lol

And yes, they were all something I would normally read but it was the summaries that made me click on them.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »

Sorry i've been absent guys, now that school is in full swing expect questions from me mostly on the weekends only. But make sure you keep them coming even when i'm not around. :) Because even if i'm too tired to post anything I still love coming in and reading everyone's answers and thoughts on things!

Here's your question of the day:

Which do you prefer to write/read, novels or short stories?

Have you ever challenged yourself to stay within a word count?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2012, 07:32:42 AM »

I prefer novels, both reading and writing.  I don't write a lot of short stories because I always find myself thinking, "Well, what's the point?"  I usually just don't connect to them as much as I do longer stories that are really able to develop the characters and take them (and me) on a journey.  There are plenty of short stories that I like, both ones I've read and written, but when I think of my favorite stories, the ones I remember are typically novels.

The only time I limit my word count is if it's for a challenge, and we all know how often I do those - ha!  Otherwise I don't pay any attention to word count, besides trying to make my chapters all stay within the same range of each other.  However long it takes me to tell the story I want to tell is however long the story will be.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »

Aw, thanks for the compliments on Running Up That Hill, mare :)

I think I prefer to write short stories just because I'm so writing ADD that a short story can take me an evening or to and then I'll be done with it. It's definitely less of a time commitment, and I like the challenge of trying to tell a complete story in 2,000-3,000 words. I do write longer stories too, and that can be fun because I also like the challenge of creating original characters and having a longer storyline that gets resolved through bits and pieces as the story moves along.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »

Awww thank you for the FYO mention mare :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »

Lately I enjoy reading novels but writing short stories. I at times like to read short stories but for whatever reason, unless I am issuing it as a challenge, I tend to skip over most one shots.

I really never worry about word counts unless it's for a challenge or real life fiction. I think it's really important for anyone who truly is interested in getting published to challenge themselves to stick to a word count because many contests for publication or short story submissions absolutely have to be a certain number of words or they are autotmatically discarded. That's why I almost always put a word count on things when I do challenges.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

It doesn't really matter how long a story is...I will read it if it is something that I'm interested in. However if one is like 200 chapters I will hesitate, get to it when I have time.

When I write, I don't limit myself too much on word count unless it is for a challenge.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »

I knew I should have posted the question I had for today as the second one yesterday because now I  can't remember what the hell it was! It was a good one too!! lol I hope it comes back to me. Dang!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »

I hate when that happens!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

shark_carter

• Fledgling
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

I like short stories just to get the juices flowing when I'm writing something longer. I can't concentrate on one plot only, I need to jump around a bit and short stories help with that!
I try to make my chapters about the same length so it's usually the first couple of chapterst hat set the bar for the rest of them.
Twitter: @shark_carter

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

I still don't remember the one I had originally planned on asking but here's a different one:

Do you enjopy writing challenge stories? If you do what has been your favorite challenge to compete in so far and do you have any ideas for upcoming challenges?

If you don't enjoy writing them, why not? What's wrong with you? Are you like a total doofus or something? lmao ;)

Do you read other people's challenge stories? And how do you feel yours compares to the others you have read? If you've read these stories have you left reviews for them?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »

Lots for me to catch up on after 4 days away!

Thanks for the Save A Prayer mentions Julie and Mare, I loved writing that :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2012, 03:49:37 PM »

What is one fanfic you've read that surprised you? What made you click on it in the first place? Was it something you would normally read?

I'm going to go with Song For The Undead.  I clicked on it because I liked the summary, it looked really interesting.  I would usually read this kind of thing, but at the time it was first posted, we didn't know it was going to be about zombies as the banner and the story name was something different.  I thought it was going to be something like Survivors (A BBC show about a flu epidemic which wiped out most of the world), but it was so much more!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

I don't mind really, I'll read/write both.

The only time I try to stick to a word count is with the challenges.  Most of my chapters are between 1000-2000 words.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19