Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Why can't the stars go away?  (Read 43093 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Why can't the stars go away?
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2007, 09:40:02 PM »

I agree, that would be cool!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »

There should be some kind of rubric you have to fill out when you do a rating... like, rate them on certain aspects of the story - the plot, the characters, mechanics, something like that - so you'd know exactly what you were being rated higher or lower on.  I don't think that's possible with the eFiction script so I'm not suggesting that for AC, but that would be cool.

Now THAT would be awesome-ness
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2007, 10:48:42 PM »

Do you remember those sites where you could submit your story for a really detailed, honest, critical review/critique?  That seemed to be a big thing a few years ago; there were a few different sites that did them, but then they all kinda disappeared, just like award sites.  I worked up the guts to submit Broken to one of those once, and it was interesting.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »

Do you remember those sites where you could submit your story for a really detailed, honest, critical review/critique?  That seemed to be a big thing a few years ago; there were a few different sites that did them, but then they all kinda disappeared, just like award sites.  I worked up the guts to submit Broken to one of those once, and it was interesting.

I wish they were still around. Cause I would love to submit what I consider my better works and see what feedback I get.

And I am so playing the not writing game right now! lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2007, 11:44:59 PM »

*coughs* you mean my site? Silver Lining Reviews? Don't know if you ever went there .. site is still up but hasn't been udpated in years... lol ... I think I only got one bad reaction from a review there because I tried to warn people that I was going to be honest and also posted that what I rated a story was NOT the Bible of fanfiction and that everyone should read for themselves because something I might not like, might turn out to be your favorite story. Everybody's tastes are different. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2007, 12:22:25 AM »

So you'll do it for all of them, but not me? *huffs*

That different section rating thign would be super special awesome. I so think that should go there. :) If it's not possible though, I guess there's nothing that canb e done... :(
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2007, 12:27:11 AM »

*coughs* you mean my site? Silver Lining Reviews? Don't know if you ever went there .. site is still up but hasn't been udpated in years... lol ... I think I only got one bad reaction from a review there because I tried to warn people that I was going to be honest and also posted that what I rated a story was NOT the Bible of fanfiction and that everyone should read for themselves because something I might not like, might turn out to be your favorite story. Everybody's tastes are different. :-D

Yeah, I do remember yours!  I think my friend Bianca got a review from yours once.  I submitted mine to a different site, but I don't remember what it was called.  There were a few other ones.  I honestly think that would be a hard service to run... I'm not sure I could do it.  1) It would take a long time, and 2) I'd want to be honest, but be afraid of hurting feelings if I had to be too brutal.  So I don't blame ya for stopping it LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2007, 12:34:09 AM »

Well, I like honest reviews. So if I wanted to send mine there, that's what I'd want. And I would think, if people were submitting their work to that kind of site, they're leaving themselves open for all the constructive criticism they should get. Usually, the people who would be offended by constructive criticism are happy with the "OMGz, you roxors!!! update!!!" reviews and wouldn't have any interest in someone taking that much time to examine their story.

Just putting that out there.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2007, 12:46:02 AM »

Oh, I know.  But still.  Some people would submit it expecting to get a glowing review and then get huffy at what they got back, and I'm not out to make enemies just cause people can't handle criticism.  I think it's a great idea, just not something I would be up for tackling myself.
~Julie

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2007, 12:51:31 AM »

Hey, I enjoy yelling out "UPDATE" in every review I write! Lol. That's just how I am - very eager for more. Though, I do usually state what I like about the story or threaten to kill off a baddie for 'em - lol. And I enjoy making people laugh/smile with my over zealous reviews - but I get WAY into a story & get emotionally attached quite easily to certain characters - so I hafta yell lots & go 'hunting' for the bad guys.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2007, 01:06:34 AM »

There's nothing wrong with that. And besides, your reviews never contain that word "roxors," so ask for updates all you want. :)

Honestly, if they go to a site that says "constructive criticism" and expect to get only something glowing, they shouldn't be submitting it in the first place. But yeah, I agree, I don't want to make enemies either, it just happens some times.

PS. This file is driving me insane. I will be extatic when I can shut my computer down again.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2007, 01:21:45 AM »

Still going, huh?  LOL
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2007, 01:27:38 AM »

Yes. *huffs* Did I start downloading it on Tuesday or Wednesday? I can't even remember anymore.... It's been somewhere between just over four or just over five days and it's finally at 97.8% now.

And my interent is getting screwy and such. It's totally driving me insane.
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2007, 01:39:10 AM »

Almost done, whee!  Yeah, the days all start to blend together when I'm not in school, so I don't remember LOL.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2007, 02:48:52 PM »

They totally do, which is scary. :D And since there's not anything I'm mentally calendaring this week, it's going to be very long....

And the file finally finished downloading yesterday at three AM. Yay!!!!
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15