Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48195 times)

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2012, 03:38:06 AM »

I guess a good question along those lines, is what do you think about awards in general? Do you think they really mean something or just a popularity contest?

I'd be sad if I ever found out that the only reason why I got nominated because I am friends with the one who nominated me. Awards are not a popularity contest. It might turn out that the people I nominated are those I always talk to (in twitter and in here), and that's exactly the reason why I started talking to them, because I enjoyed their work and I somewhat became a 'fan'.

Hopefully, the voting part of the Felix awards will turn out good, so Mare and Julilly would decide to do this again next year.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

Since it's New Year's Eve...

What are your fanfic resolutions?  What would you like to accomplish in 2013?

Happy New Year!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »

I want to finish Severed Identities and Unwinding Truth and I want to start my AJ fanfic that has been buggin me for awhile.  Possibly I'd like to pick up Empty again and finish it.  My resolution this year is just to get into better habits, which includes many facets of life including writing.  I want to have better habits about writing at home. :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »

I really don't have any writing resolutions, but I hope to keep this forum active and fun for everyone.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »

Happy New Year everyone!

My fanfic resolutions are to start writing again as it's been months since I properly wrote.  I'd like to finish Maybe Tomorrow and Unwinding Truth (Lore, we need to get together on AIM :) ).  I'd also like to write this other idea that's rolling around in my head, but I won't start that until I've finished the others.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

I think Rose's and my resolution is the same as it was last year: FINISH UNDEAD!  I think we really will this year though; we're so close LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

Yes, Finish Undead! is definitely one. The other is to refocus on writing so that I can finish my current stories and start some of the ideas I have sitting on my back burner.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

I'd like to complete the Nick and Amanda series, maybe write something new because I havent in quite a bit

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:36 AM »

I was just looking through some old links and found this gem.  Ahh, the good old days of fanfic.  Look at this website!  (Warning:  This may hurt your eyes!)  http://web.archive.org/web/20000226151139/http://www.expage.com/page/friendschapters  This is one page of the first fanfic site I ever found, back in 1999.  Admire the lovely blue wave background, the red Comic Sans font, the scrolling text (KTBSPA!), the webring, the guestbook, and the counter at the bottom.  All it's missing is more animated gifts, a midi playing in the background, and some cheesy 90s bitmaps of the Boys!

So my question for you is, when and where did you first post your fanfic (whether on a site of your own or hosted on someone else's)?  If you can remember the site, describe it for us or even hook us up with a link, if possible!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:52 AM »

My site originally had garish tiled backgrounds, Comic Sans font, and midis playing in the background too, but archive.org doesn't go back quite far enough to document all that loveliness. LOL

The first place I actually had any fanfic posted is still online, though!  The first fanfic I completed, Heartache, was hosted on a site called Escape From Reality: http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/theyvegotitgoinon/  The webmistress never even posted all of my story, but the first six chapters are there under Hosted Stories, and that is where it all started for me!  February 2, 2000, according to her updates page - my fanfic debut! LOL
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:07:25 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »

The first place I ever posted my fanfic was over at fanfiction.net, remember when they allowed RP fanfics? LOL. It's probably good that ended because my first stories were SO bad lmao, they're nowhere on the net and I'm okay with that :P. Before I found AC, the first site that hosted me was Stephanie (bluecloud) who was best known for "Sammy". She was my second collaborator ever and she even had me judge her awards one time. She always used to encourage me and tell me how creative I was, and we shared a love of sci-fi. She's kinda why I kept going at it even though I wasn't getting a ton of feedback (and now I get why haha) for anything except our collab. Which is still unfinished haha, but that's a whole 'nother issue...

http://www.reocities.com/stephigigo/group.html <-- mine are at the bottom lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »

I posted some on fanfiction.net but I posted a bulk of them on my own site.  Thankfully I had Murasaki who had a website for a couple of years prior to me starting mine so she helped me and steered me away from a complete picture background.  I had a table format, sort of like what I have now on wordpress where there was a purple designed background but the actual font of the site was on a black background in the middle.  We had the entrance page with a different fun picture and the links to the different pages around it.  I didn't think our site was ever that garish but I do know we had a counter, a guestbook, a humor site webring and a midi of Brian singing "Could You Do Me Right" when you first opened the site, none of that repetitive music though. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »

The first place I discovered fanfic was on the official Take That website.  They had a forum attached to the site, which of course had a fanfic section.  I was so naive and didn't even know what fanfics were!  This was in 2006, LOL. 

That site is no longer there and was replaced with a new site which doesn't have a fanfic section, which I'm happy about as it means my first attempt has vanished off the face of the earth :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »

The first place I ever posted my fanfic was over at fanfiction.net, remember when they allowed RP fanfics? LOL. It's probably good that ended because my first stories were SO bad lmao, they're nowhere on the net and I'm okay with that :P. Before I found AC, the first site that hosted me was Stephanie (bluecloud) who was best known for "Sammy". She was my second collaborator ever and she even had me judge her awards one time. She always used to encourage me and tell me how creative I was, and we shared a love of sci-fi. She's kinda why I kept going at it even though I wasn't getting a ton of feedback (and now I get why haha) for anything except our collab. Which is still unfinished haha, but that's a whole 'nother issue...

http://www.reocities.com/stephigigo/group.html <-- mine are at the bottom lol.

Aww, I remember Steph's site.  I'm not sure how many stories I actually read on it, but at least the titles of some of those are familiar.  She's actually one who still has a site online, although it looks like she hasn't updated it since 2009.  http://bsbfantasies2.angelfire.com/index.html  I forgot she was hosting one of my stories LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »

I posted some on fanfiction.net but I posted a bulk of them on my own site.  Thankfully I had Murasaki who had a website for a couple of years prior to me starting mine so she helped me and steered me away from a complete picture background.  I had a table format, sort of like what I have now on wordpress where there was a purple designed background but the actual font of the site was on a black background in the middle.  We had the entrance page with a different fun picture and the links to the different pages around it.  I didn't think our site was ever that garish but I do know we had a counter, a guestbook, a humor site webring and a midi of Brian singing "Could You Do Me Right" when you first opened the site, none of that repetitive music though. 

I totally remember your site, circa 2003, because of the review site.  I don't think I ever submitted a story there, but my friend Bianca did.  I don't remember it being too garish, but back then I wouldn't have known the difference because most of them were that way! LOL
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19