Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48241 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »

I also had stories posted on ff.net for a brief time, before they removed real person stories.  I don't remember actually reading much BSB fanfic on there, though; my favorite places to read stories were all other sites.  I read primarily Harry Potter fanfic on ff.net, right after I got into the books.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »

The very first place I posted was FF.net for I swear a hot minute before they closed it down to us lol

I believe it was Izzy who hosted me first followed closely by Julie. There was another place too but I'm ashamed to say I don't remember who they were. I can tell you that I tried to get hosted on the BSB Attorneys but they turned me down because they never heard of me and only wanted to host people they knew were good writers. I'll never forget that, my first rejection. LOL I think Izzy's site is still up and running, although I'm not positive.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »

I totally remember your site, circa 2003, because of the review site.  I don't think I ever submitted a story there, but my friend Bianca did.  I don't remember it being too garish, but back then I wouldn't have known the difference because most of them were that way! LOL

Ah yes my review site!  Most of the stories were submitted by the actual author, which was a rule, but I still remember the fallout from giving a review to someone who didn't know it was coming. YIKES!   I tried to be fair on that site and since I was going to school to teach I had a rubric that I went off of when reviewing.  But I also said that it was all subjective to my tastes. LOL Geocities killed that site mostly, that and my lack of time to read for awhile.  LOL

I remember our award that we gave out.  Remember the random awards sites would give out or you could "apply" to get? LOL ... Ours was simply "This site has been kissed by Purple Lipstick" with an image of purple lipprints. Nobody really wanted our award as we didn't get requests to have us look at sites very often. LOL

The very first place I posted was FF.net for I swear a hot minute before they closed it down to us lol

I believe it was Izzy who hosted me first followed closely by Julie. There was another place too but I'm ashamed to say I don't remember who they were. I can tell you that I tried to get hosted on the BSB Attorneys but they turned me down because they never heard of me and only wanted to host people they knew were good writers. I'll never forget that, my first rejection. LOL I think Izzy's site is still up and running, although I'm not positive.

wow you got rejected?  BSB Attonrneys always came off as a bit snobby to me. .
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2013, 04:32:32 PM »

LOL I remember the BSB Attorneys site too, but I don't think I ever read any stories there.  They weren't my kind of thing.

I do think it's funny that pretty much all those sites and authors that were so popular and esteemed in the fandom are gone now, and those of us who were just peons back in the day are still here and have become respected writers in the fandom.

Izzy's site went down with Geocities, but it's well archived through either archive.org or one of the Geocities mirror sites.  http://www.oocities.org/ocean_izzy/  Some of her stories are actually on Angelfire, so those are really still online.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »

I remember our award that we gave out.  Remember the random awards sites would give out or you could "apply" to get? LOL ... Ours was simply "This site has been kissed by Purple Lipstick" with an image of purple lipprints. Nobody really wanted our award as we didn't get requests to have us look at sites very often. LOL

wow you got rejected?  BSB Attonrneys always came off as a bit snobby to me. .

Haha, I remember those!  I'm trying to remember if I ever had one for Dreamer's Sanctuary... I might have at one time or another.  I went through lots of those fads - the sister sites and the site protectors/adoptions and the fan signs.  I was going through my old pages the other day, deleting the ones that were obsolete, and found my "Spirit Garden," which was a page full of these "spirit flower" things you could download, which were a picture of a flower pot that would "grow" into a flower over time.  Why I thought that was something worthy of putting onto a fanfic page, I have no idea, but I must have seen them on someone else's and thought they were cool LOL.

I got the same vibe about the BSB Attorneys, but looking back, I figured it was just because I was young and jealous of their success.  I never had any personal beef with them; it was just a vibe, like you said.  There were several of those.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »

Aww, I remember Steph's site.  I'm not sure how many stories I actually read on it, but at least the titles of some of those are familiar.  She's actually one who still has a site online, although it looks like she hasn't updated it since 2009.  http://bsbfantasies2.angelfire.com/index.html  I forgot she was hosting one of my stories LOL.

Yep, not everything ever got moved which is why I have the old one in my bookmarks too. Her and I used to talk often, the last time I think was when that Tanja mess happened for the very first time.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

Yep, not everything ever got moved which is why I have the old one in my bookmarks too. Her and I used to talk often, the last time I think was when that Tanja mess happened for the very first time.

Oh yeah, cause Sammy was one of the first wave of stories Tanja stole.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »

LOL I remember the BSB Attorneys site too, but I don't think I ever read any stories there.  They weren't my kind of thing.

I do think it's funny that pretty much all those sites and authors that were so popular and esteemed in the fandom are gone now, and those of us who were just peons back in the day are still here and have become respected writers in the fandom.

Izzy's site went down with Geocities, but it's well archived through either archive.org or one of the Geocities mirror sites.  http://www.oocities.org/ocean_izzy/  Some of her stories are actually on Angelfire, so those are really still online.

LOL I know right? I find it funny too. I mean I started on fanfic when I was only thirteen. My first stories on fanfic.net were actually original fiction, (this was pre-fictionpress) and then I discovered BSB fanfic there and on fansites and I got sucked in LOL. Thirteen years later I'm still going at it which is totally crazy. Especially when you hear newer ones mention you as a "popular writer" (Hannah and I had a discussion with someone about this on twitter recently LOL) because you still think of yourself as that peon you started off as.

Oh yeah, cause Sammy was one of the first wave of stories Tanja stole.

Yup, but we did catch up because of that lol.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

I can honestly say I never even read the stuff on the BSB Attorney's site. Back then when I was first starting out, I didn't even realize there was such a variety of stories because besides the one visual I happened upon, all the other stuff seemed to be stories I really enjoyed reading. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

It seemed like there was more of a variety back then, but because everyone had their own sites and there were so many to choose from, it was easy to find places that had the kind of stories you liked and stick to that circle.  I mostly read drama and suspense back in the day, same genres I prefer now, but it was easier to find them back then.

Next question:  What were some of your favorite fanfic sites when you first started reading them?

Mine are linked on my site: http://dreamers-sanctuary.com/fanfic/extras/links/ (some down in the Link Graveyard at the bottom), but my top three were probably Jenna's site (Backstreet Boys Stories), Jen's site (JJ's Stories/Imagine Fan Fiction), and Whitney's site (The Perfect Fans Fan Fiction).  All three of those had great drama and suspense stories, and Jenna and Jen may as well have been my medical drama dopplegangers.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

My faves were Eboni, bluecloud Steph, Whitney, Jenna, and Bria.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020209213255/http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/9029/BriaStories.html Bria lol - my first angst that I fell in love with! I so can't reread it now haha, I tried.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030924071202/bewaretheenchanted.homestead.com/Welcomeindex.html Eboni - she still ranks as one of my fave writers

Whitney http://web.archive.org/web/20020208231625/http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/perfect_fans/legendintro.html - I linked specifically to the Legend cause I loved that story, despite it being a crossover with NSYNC lol

I also adored Jenna.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

Speaking of Bria, I realized that site I linked to last night, Escape From Reality, is also the site where I first read Bria's story, A Dangerous Past.  I think that's the only one of hers I really read from start to finish; the rest of hers were too out there for me - too sci-fi or AU.  But I did enjoy that one.

Eboni's site was a good one too.  And believe it or not, The Legend is the only one of Whitney's stories that I could never get into LOL, but I loved pretty much everything else she wrote.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

I would say for me it was Jenna's, Eboni's and Izzys!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »

Hrmm I think it might have been that Bria girl that hosted me? Did she host stories? I don't see any hosted stories on that link you included. It's gonna drive me nuts now where I was hosted! LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »

I've never heard of any of those writers!  The first BSB stories I read were right here :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19