Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48186 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2013, 12:13:58 PM »

I didn't search out a lot of fanfiction sites or devote a lot of time to reading it until I started the review site.  Then I typically read what had been submitted to me for review.   There were too many stories for me to sift through and with running the two sites (CYDMR and the Silver Lining Reviews) and going to school, student teaching, working part-time, just meeting my now husband, and my own writing I didn't really have a lot of time to hunt for stories to read.  I read several of Chava's though and I had a sister site... I want to say her name was Tracy but I can't remember her site name.... I read a few of hers.   I knew about My Confession and Under the Sheets, might have read a few on there but can't really recall. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »

The first place I posted my fanfics was on ff.net but I read on AC and there. I also read on some other sites too, but I don't remember what they were offhand. When ff.net got rid of real person fic I took a hiatus from writing and started on AC from scratch in 2009.

The first stories I read on AC were by Mare and Chaos....plus some by Rose :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

Here is a question for you guys!

I kind of asked this once before but I'm adding more to it. In that interview the guys did with Perez, I guess they asked if the guys ever read fanfics and I think someone said Nick said they were weird or something similar to that. I didn't actually get to see the interview because Perez freezes my computer lol

Anyway, here is the question. How would you feel if during that conversation  it was clear that Nick or any of the others were talking about YOUR fanfic? Like "I read this one where this crazy chick had Brian carve the word MINE into my skin. How freaking crazy do you have to be to come up with that?"

Would it deter you from writing them again? Would you suddenly feel differently about writing about the guys in the first place? Would it change your opinion about them in general even?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:15 PM »

My favorite part of that interview was when Kevin mentioned that we have him and Nick hook up, to which Nick was like, "WHAT?!"  That tells me Kevin knows a little something about fanfic LOL.

To answer your question... honestly, I would be mortified.  Would it make me regret writing it or deter me from writing more, though?  I don't know.  I'm thinking probably not.  This hobby is such a big part of my life, so ingrained in me, that it would take a lot for me to stop doing it.  Like a cease and desist letter LOL.  I think if I felt like I had personally offended them or something, I'd be more apt to stop, but I don't think them saying, "Wow, that's really freaking crazy" would be enough to change my opinion.  I'm self-aware enough to know how weird what I write is, and that's what a pen name is for and why I would never mention fanfic or my website when meeting them in person.  :P
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2013, 10:41:55 PM »

Btw, here's a YouTube link to that interview; that might work better for you than Perez's stupid site, Mare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyv2X0BqxBI

I'm watching it again... yeah, Kevin's totally read some fanfic.  Maybe that's how he kept himself entertained during his break.  I wonder if he read that one slash of Bobbi's where he and Nick call each other Kermit and Miss Piggy.  :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:43:55 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2013, 11:16:35 PM »

I don't think it would deter me from writing it.  I know I am writing the guys in some strange situations but it is fiction.  They are my characters.  Typically ALL of my characters, whether in fanfic or original fic, are based on someone I know.  Just in this case I am glaringly obvious who I am basing them off of. lol   I think I'd feel a bit honored that they read my story and actually had formed some opinion on it at all.  Meant something stuck out to them.  LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »

LOL That's true.  I would never expect them to gush over any story because reading about yourself like that has to be too weird to truly enjoy, but I could see them getting a kick out of some of the things we write about them, and that would be kind of cool.

I think for me, though, it would depend on the story.  There are a couple I wouldn't mind knowing they'd read, even if they did think they were weird.  Most of them I would be slightly embarrassed about, but no big deal.  The one I really wouldn't want them, especially Nick, to read is Broken.  Probably Curtain Call too, but Broken is the one that would bother me the most.  Of course, that's the one I'm probably best known for LOL.  Luckily, Nick seems to know that fanfic is scary and he should just stay away.  Far, far away LOL.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:11 AM »

No, it wouldn't. I'd be mortified LMAO but I'd still do it. Like Julie, it would take a lot to get me to stop doing it altogether. There's certain ones I'd be okay with them reading, like 00Carter or Undead. Probably Undead since Nick's said he watches Walking Dead, he'd probably at least be okay with that one haha. The one I wouldn't want them ANYWHERE near is RMTW lol. Just...no.

Kevin's totally read fanfic, you could tell by the way he talked about it lmao.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2013, 12:52:26 AM »

That's hilarious.  Of all people... I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be the one who had.  But I guess Kevin likes to be in the know, so it makes sense he would have at least looked into it at some point.  Probably years ago, since slash doesn't seem to be as popular lately.  Can't remember the last Kevin/Nick slash I came across.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »

Btw, here's a YouTube link to that interview; that might work better for you than Perez's stupid site, Mare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyv2X0BqxBI

I'm watching it again... yeah, Kevin's totally read some fanfic.  Maybe that's how he kept himself entertained during his break.  I wonder if he read that one slash of Bobbi's where he and Nick call each other Kermit and Miss Piggy.  :D

Funny, that is exactly what story I was thinking he must have read! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »

I'd be horrified if they actually came out and said something like "oh yeah, I read this one story where the writer had Nick picking bot flies out of Jordan's Knight's brain, what kind of weirdo writes shit like that?", but after the initial horror, I'd probably laugh it off!  It wouldn't stop me writing either.  If I ever met them, there is no way I'd bring up fanfiction, I wouldn't mention my user name either LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »

Thanks, Julie! I was able to finally see this interview. I bet it was that slash story! And what the hell kind of fanfics is Nick reading where he just runs everywhere naked? LOL

I am torn when it comes to this topic. Part of me would be absolutely mortified if I knew not only did they read my stuff but actually didn't like it. But another part of me wishes they would read something other than the smut so many people think of when they hear the words fan fiction. That there is more to it then just having sex etc...

So here's another related question, If they seemed like they really wanted to read a good story and asked you for one recommendation, what story would you pick and why? It doesn't have to be one of yours, just something you might think would interest them and not make them think that BSB fanfics are either about them being into each other or naked running around all day long! and gossipy? LOL that was a weird description too!

ANd on an unrelated to fanfic note about that interview, I love how long it took Kevin to answer his question. Ah, I have missed overly contemplating Kevin!  And I love how Nick just finally said "I don't think he wants to be any of us!" LOL
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:34:14 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »

I'd recommend Song For The Undead because what's not to love about the boys killing zombies? LOL.  But I think they'd enjoy it because it's a great story and because it's AU, they could read it and possibly try to imagine it's not about them (even though it is SO them!).

I loved Kevin in that interview too :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »

Funny, that is exactly what story I was thinking he must have read! lol

LOL That's the only specific Kevin/Nick slash I could name.  I don't even remember the title; I only read bits and pieces because someone told me about the Kermit/Miss Piggy thing, and I was like, "What?!  No way!" and had to see for myself.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »

Thanks, Steph!

I think I would recommend an AU or an action/adventure story, something that gets them away from the music business stuff and into a situation they've never experienced in real life.  So a story like "Between the Lines" or "Save a Prayer" or "Whatever the Night May Bring."

I wouldn't recommend any story that's based on something that happened in their real lives because they would probably just read it and go, "That's not how that happened."  I also wouldn't recommend anything that is too reality/music business-based because, again, they know what their lives are like better than we do, and they wouldn't buy it.  With a story like the ones I named, I think they'd have an easier time accepting that they are characters in a story, not that we're trying to write them exactly as they are.  And they might even enjoy reading about their fanfic selves doing heroic things or even just something different, like playing major league baseball.

I was also going to say I wouldn't recommend any story that's about one of them being sick or dying, but one of them does die in two of those three stories, so never mind LOL.  Nothing too cheesy/sappy/tearjerkery though.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19