Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48247 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »

Wow, thanks guys! I didn't really expect to see my name that much lol I don't think I'll ever understand why people OMG when they see me review but I am very flattered by it :)

Now to answer this question. There are always the same core group of people who leave me reviews and I'm really grateful to them. (Tracy, Rose, Pam, Steph, Sam) They are who generally tend to get me through writer's funk etc... I love when I get a random review from someone I didn't think was reading my work or would ever read anything I had written. On my last novel, I always smiled when I saw reviews from Lore. Julie leaves great reviews as well. Like I said on twitter a few days ago, it's not the writing I miss as much as hearing the feedback lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »

Thanks guys :) another story I want to mention is Figured You out. When Mare and Julie, even Rose reviewed I teared up because I felt honored my favorite authors read my story. It was the best feeling ever. I felt like I finally had "made" it at AC in a way. I always looked forward to them.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »

Finally, I have a time to actually answer my own question! LOL

For me, it varies from story to story because different people read and review different stuff, but a lot of you guys have been amazing reviewers of my stuff.  Tracy is the one Rose and I can always count on to review our collaborations, usually before anyone else!  Steph is willing to give anything a shot, which is such an admirable trait (coming from a picky reader like me), and she always leaves fantastic reviews.  Mare is great about leaving detailed, honest feedback and, as others have said, coming from someone who has had success with both fanfic and published original fiction, any compliment from her means a lot.  And Rose is so supportive of everything I do, even the projects that take my focus away from our collaborations; I can always count on her to make me laugh in her reviews!

I also have to mention Jen (FrickFrackGirl or JennayHeartNic k), who doesn't post much on AC but has been an AMAZING reader of mine, especially when it comes to Broken and By My Side.  She not only read and gave feedback on every chapter of those stories as I was writing them, but she has re-read them and recommended them to others and still mentions them from time to time on Twitter.  To still get that kind of praise for a series I started 10 years ago is astounding to me, but I love her for it!

Like the rest of you, I also have those authors who I looked up to for a long time before they read anything of mine, and feedback from them meant the world to me!  I loved getting feedback from Jenna and Swenglish, who wrote Swollen Issues, for Broken because their story was what inspired the idea for Broken in the first place.

Also, thanks for the mentions! :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:58:34 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »

New question

How do the real life events affect your writing? When things like tours, babies and engagements pop up does it inspire you or detract you?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »

It depends on what I'm writing.  Sometimes it does inspire me when the guys are working and new music, tour videos, and interviews start popping up.  That stuff puts me in BSB mode and helps me channel the guys.  But if I'm writing sad panda stuff (and I usually am LOL), happy things in real life tend to detract me from writing.  I guess it makes me feel guilty about making them sad in my stories when they're happy in real life.  I find it easier to stay in my little bubble of gloom when the guys are on a break LOL.  Right now, though, everything I'm writing is either AU or set in the 90s, so current events really have no impact on my writing.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »

Right now they're inspiring me since my story is current lol. Things like marriage and babies don't usually affect my writing anyway typically since its usually irrelevant to my stories.  I just sometimes feel guilty about torturing then lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »

New question

How do the real life events affect your writing? When things like tours, babies and engagements pop up does it inspire you or detract you?

It doesn't really have any effect on my writing as I tend to not include real wives/girlfriends/family in my stories as I'd feel bad if I then killed them off, or whatever else I like to do to my characters.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »

It doesn't have any effect on me. In fact, I try as hard as I can not to use the real wives and girlfri... fiancees, now I guess... managers, friends, etc for one reason in particular:

It's one thing to write fanfic about a celebrity, I think it's something else to write fanfic about a random person.

If I were a person whose only claim to "fame" is that I was the significant other/friend/employee of a celebrity I would feel really weird knowing that people on the internet were writing stories about me.

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »

It depends for me. Their romantic lives usually don't play into my writing but when they all lived together in London this past summer, I was completely inspired. It would take something like that to get me excited enough to want to write about them again. They all just need to ditch their significant others and live together in a big house and stop growing up lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2013, 07:04:43 AM »

LMAO right? OMG that London summer inspired me so much. And when they have those uber-bromantic moments I get inspired more. So personal lives, not so much. Their friendships? Totally.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »

Friendship's exactly! Unfortunately you don't catch it as much these days. Hopefully when they start doing interviews things will change.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »

This is a question for people who have written romance.  It seems like most writers have taken a stab at writing romance at some point or another, even if it's not their genre of choice, and a lot of writers have at least one "neverending romance series" (a romance with at least one or two sequels, spin-offs, and/or collections of one-shots) to their name.

I'm wondering, for people who have written more than one romance or romance series about the same guy, how do you manage to keep each story fresh and original with a new plot and female main character, while still keeping the same level of chemistry between each couple?  Do you ever feel like you've written such a great couple, there's no way you can create the same magic with different characters in another story?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »

Aww, I was so excited to see my little red blob lit for this thread and now I'm bummed because the question is irrelevant to me! lol Stupid red blob! :/

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »

LOL Sorry - you are definitely the exception to my "most writers have taken a stab at romance" statement.

Okay, here's a question for you and the rest of the suspense writers:

Who is your favorite villain you've written and why?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »

Honestly with the romance question, I feel I can't. Hence why my one attempt at a romance sequel is totally unfinished and will likely remain so LOL. I feel like romance can only last for a sequel or so. Usually anything after that ends up so over the top it becomes soap opera-ish, at least in my experiences of reading. There's exceptions obviously  but typically because romance isn't the main genre to begin with.

My favorite villain is actually Drums in 00Carter, because he's a shade of grey. He started off good and has been manipulated to this evil and even questions it now and then. Those usually make the best villains in my opinion because it's more realistic. You can see how they got there.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19