Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48251 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »

Nice to see a little debating going on here. :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »

This is a question for people who have written romance.  It seems like most writers have taken a stab at writing romance at some point or another, even if it's not their genre of choice, and a lot of writers have at least one "neverending romance series" (a romance with at least one or two sequels, spin-offs, and/or collections of one-shots) to their name.

I'm wondering, for people who have written more than one romance or romance series about the same guy, how do you manage to keep each story fresh and original with a new plot and female main character, while still keeping the same level of chemistry between each couple?  Do you ever feel like you've written such a great couple, there's no way you can create the same magic with different characters in another story?

I've never written a sequel and don't think I ever would.

I'm not even sure I'd consider any of my romance stories either fresh or original, lol.  I just write what pops into my head and hope for the best :) 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »

LOL Sorry - you are definitely the exception to my "most writers have taken a stab at romance" statement.

Okay, here's a question for you and the rest of the suspense writers:

Who is your favorite villain you've written and why?

Brian in Unwinding Truth, because I love how Lore and I have made him the opposite of how he is reality.  It's fun to turn the good boy into an evil dictator :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »

hee hee, that it is Steph, that it is. 

My favorite villian I've written would be the villian in Amnesia and Corin in Wulf's Bane.  I also like writing the Company who sends various Cleaners after Brian and Isabelle but we do not see the "face" of the bad guy.  Maybe later... *gasps* I might have a "dreaded" sequel for Severed Identities, might not.  I would have to see if I could get a plot line together that connects to this one but isn't the same one.  BUT I might just leave it how I end it ... haven't fully decided yet. 

I am hit and miss with my sequels.  I liked DOV: End of All Hope and I don't mind DOV: Antigone (prequel) but I disliked MTT: All Or Nothing so much it's not even posted on the site anymore.  Chronos Breach could have been better but it's not so bad I'd delete it.  Kind of lukewarm to that sequel.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

When I write more than one story about a set of characters, I usually consider it a series, not a sequel. I do that because I don't start the next story where the one before it ends.

Its kind of like Nancy Drew or the Babysitters Club. They use the same characters over and over in different stories and situations.

I usually make the second story four or five years later, so that the characters are in a different place and their relationship is in a different place. For example if the first story is about them meeting and falling in love. The next story may be about having kids or one cheating on each other. Sure all of those have been used over and over, so I think of a unique twist that makes the story unique or original. When dealing with emotions and feelings that people have, you can do a lot.

I find it interesting to see what my characters would be like ten years later when life gets in the way and it's not all about the romance or love. It can be challenging to write a story about the same characters and make it as successful asthe first story. I think that is why I sometimes like writing a series.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

^that's what I tried with MTT: All or Nothing.  The original story was how they met and got together and the second story was after they had children but it just wasn't what I wanted and so I got rid of it.   

I've thought about writing a series like you described where it's the same characters but they are in a bunch of different situations but I never went through with it except with 00Carter, that's sort of what that is. Different episodes with the same set of characters.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2013, 05:49:11 AM »

Sequels don't always start where the last one ends. Many start years later. The difference between a series and a sequel is a series is typically considered to be three or more. Sometimes only four or more since three would technically be a trilogy but it's a grey area. It has nothing to do with the time gap or even the plot.

The examples you used of BSC or Nancy Drew was that there were countless books in both series. Or to take from the example Lore used, 00Carter. As it has I believe 10 full "episodes" where it tells different stories with the same characters with various time gaps. Those are series. It's not the same as say two stories about the same couple.

Romance is very character driven. I don't think there are unique situations anymore, which is what makes the genre so difficult. You need to have characters that are memorable to really make an impact. Or include it as a subplot on something bigger to keep it different and moving. Using emotions to do so, personally is what touches on the "soap opera" danger zone that so many romances fall into.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

Why are soap operas a "danger zone"? People love soap operas. Books like Twilight and 50 Shades, shows like 90210, Melrose Place, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, etc are incredibly successful and are all considered soap operas. Romantic comedies are the most popular movies with women and female-skewed radio stations will almost always be very celebrity gossip driven - the "real life" soap operas of our day.

People love soap operas! It's a popular genre, hardly a "danger zone" for anyone who hopes to be successful to be in it - in my opinion, anyway.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »

Just my perspective. I guess for me soap operas tend to be unrealistic, overly dramatic, etc...and seem to be unable to carry a story without all that. But that's my own personal taste on them. There's great epic romances without being too over the top. And those of course for me, are the ones that stand out. Because they don't need all that to tell a great love story.

But to each their own and if people want to write that...more power to them.

Honestly...I'm not even gonna touch Twilight/50 Shades since I think those would be more insults to the genre than anything. Just because they're successful, doesn't mean they're good. 50 Shades especially.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »

I didn't say they were good or bad, I said they were successful. No matter what the medium is those two words will never be synonymous because it's subjective.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »

Fair enough.

I will admit...out of everything you named, I do watch Pretty Little Liars lol. It's seriously my sole guilty pleasure.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »

In all honesty, there are enough genres to satisfy every person's tastes. Not everyone loves romance. Not everyone loves fantasy. Not everyone loves mystery or suspense. Luckily there is something for all of us.

I think we should really give props to those who work hard to create a story and have the guts to post it. I think more acceptance and less criticism would more welcoming.

So what you don't like a certain genre, there is no need to lump every story as horrendous or redundant. I think most authors work hard on their stories regardless the genre. I just feel we need to support each other instead of knocking on the type of stories we write. There is room for all of us and every type of story.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

I think Rose's point about soap operas was less about success and more about quality.  All of those titles Julilly named could definitely qualify as soap operas, and all are popular, no denying that.  But are any of them critically-acclaimed or highly-respected?  Not exactly.  They are so-called "guilty pleasures."  Nothing wrong with that.  Fan fiction in itself is a guilty pleasure.

Fan fiction writers are rarely taken seriously outside of their own fandom, regardless of what genre they write in or the quality of their work, but I think all of us strive to write quality fiction in whatever genre we're writing it, or we wouldn't spend so much time discussing it here.  Each genre has its own set of challenges, but there are well-written stories in every genre of fan fiction, including romance.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »

Here are a couple of follow-up questions to what I just posted:

1.  What do you consider to be the biggest challenges in writing your favorite genre?

2.  Are there any genres you enjoy reading, but have a hard time writing?  What are they, and why?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »

I think Rose's point about soap operas was less about success and more about quality.  All of those titles Julilly named could definitely qualify as soap operas, and all are popular, no denying that.  But are any of them critically-acclaimed or highly-respected?  Not exactly.  They are so-called "guilty pleasures."  Nothing wrong with that.  Fan fiction in itself is a guilty pleasure.

Fan fiction writers are rarely taken seriously outside of their own fandom, regardless of what genre they write in or the quality of their work, but I think all of us strive to write quality fiction in whatever genre we're writing it, or we wouldn't spend so much time discussing it here.  Each genre has its own set of challenges, but there are well-written stories in every genre of fan fiction, including romance.

That's exactly what my point was. And I fully agree.
In all honesty, there are enough genres to satisfy every person's tastes. Not everyone loves romance. Not everyone loves fantasy. Not everyone loves mystery or suspense. Luckily there is something for all of us.

I think we should really give props to those who work hard to create a story and have the guts to post it. I think more acceptance and less criticism would more welcoming.

So what you don't like a certain genre, there is no need to lump every story as horrendous or redundant. I think most authors work hard on their stories regardless the genre. I just feel we need to support each other instead of knocking on the type of stories we write. There is room for all of us and every type of story.

I would like to point out that not one of us said every story is that. I even said there are exceptions to my statements. I also said a lot of it is my own personal taste. So I kinda wonder why you seem to be defensive.

I don't see criticism, I see discussion of a craft.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19