Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's with the complete lack of everything?  (Read 6766 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
What's with the complete lack of everything?
« on: January 19, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »

It seems like lately there is a major lull going on in fanfic land. At least as far as AC is concerned. Only the same few people seem to be updating and everyone else has kind of disappeared. No one is posting in here anymore, or posting stories or voting for awards etc...

So, what's your reason for slumping?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's with the complete lack of everything?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »

I know!  Sad panda!  It's weird to see updates six days old still on the first page of most recent.  My only reason for not updating more often is that I only have the time and energy I need to write on the weekends, so I'm doing well if I can update something once a week.

I miss the discussions on the forum; it's still one of the first places I come when I get online, and it's disappointing to see no new posts since my last visit.  I haven't been able to think of any questions or new threads to get the conversation going again, though.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »

It's the forum that's making me sad too. I admit I've moved on from actual fanfic. I rarely look for updates or read much anymore and we know I'm not really writing either, but this forum is what's kept me clinging on. I'm sad no one comes in and talks anymore. Too bad the spammers don't count as real people because I reject about 200 members a day easily. LOL

I thought with Kevin coming back and their 20th anniversary looming, it would prove to be the inspiration I needed and hoped the same would be true for everyone else. Who knows? It still might be.

It's sad that the two most active threads have nothing to do with fanfic at all. The book club thread and the TV one!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »

Hey! I've returned! LOL.

Like seriously my inspiration has come back full force. I'm so happy about it. I'll actually probably be able to update again soon. I would like to say everyone's just in a lull. I'm sad about the forum though, I love this place!
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

I think people are just really busy. I know that I am busy with work and just life in general. As for writing, I'm working on two collaborations at the moment. I used to be the type to write a chapter and post it right away, but now I am waiting until a story is complete. That means that I'm not posting all the time.

But, I do think life just gets in the way sometimes. Maybe people have more going on in their personal lives right now. With the economy the way it is, lots of people are working two jobs to pay the bills and for Backstreet Stuff.

I think things go through phases....mayb e fanfic is just going throuh a slump. I hope that it picks up.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »

If it doesn't pick up in the summer like it usually does, especially with the 20th anniversary tour going on (WITH Kevin), then we'll know something's really wrong LOL.  But I agree; I think people are just busy with other things.  Real life gets in the way.
~Julie

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:32:50 AM »

The reason of my slumping is Heath... that cute little baby is taking all my free time.  ;D

I always check this forum every lunch break here in office, but doesn't always post because sometimes the questions are not for me. Like for the question thread, most questions there doesn't apply to me, but I read all your answers.

I try to squeeze in writing for a couple of minutes while working. And I also write in my head while doing the dishes. lol
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:32 AM »

I hope you guys are right because, although we usually do have a decline in stories posted and people posting on the forum during the school year, this is the lulliest it's ever been.

Have you guys noticed a drop or readers or reviewers? To the people who are actually still updating? I'm going to post this in the question thread as well.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »

I don't even know why I'm in a writing slump, I have free time!  I think I need to re-read my story and get my inspiration back as I hate that I've not updated it since the summer :(  I never give up on things once I've started (apart from that awful 50 Shades crap).

Maybe it's the January blues?  It is the most depressing month of the year, people are broke after Christmas, the weather is cold, it's dark really early, etc. 

I hope it picks up!  I come in here every day to see what's happening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »

You'd think people would be writing MORE in January since there's not much else to do, but maybe everyone's so stuck in the winter blues that they're just curling up on the couch under a blanket to watch TV.  I will admit I spent a good portion of yesterday doing just that LOL.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

I did too! TV, blanket and chocolates :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »

Now that I don't have TV I spend even more time watching TV, which makes no sense at all! I used to just have it on in the background but now it's different. When I watch something online it's because I want to watch it. LOL

Like today is New Girl and Merlin day! Woot!!!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

I love this forum, its the only one i visit. I check it every day but usually there isn't much going on. I have been updating but sadly no feedback. I have been workng on my site mostly instead. Wish famfic would pick up again

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »

It does seem unusually quiet in here... I posted a few updates last month of On Nightingale Hill and I've been writing in my free time, though I haven't uploaded any updates since. But, yeah, the forums do seem much more quiet than in the past.

On the other hand, I've been devouring Pengi's updates and I swear that Hannah just vomits up rainbows and sunshine and fanfic, or something, because she's like an updating god.
my muse is such a lush

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »

with tax season and yearly audits for plans at work I am a bit busier.  Oh and I got recruited for a huge correction project so I've just been busy with work and when I get home I play stupid computer games instead of writing.  I finished the research for the big project but I know there will be times it takes over but right now I'm done with that so it's just the audit research and what not.  It should start to go into a lull for me towards the end of March I think, heh!  I hope to finish SI before then though and get UT back up and running (cause it's my fault that's stalled)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: [1] 2 3