Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 18805 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2023, 07:03:12 PM »

Thanks!  I still haven't finished Fairy Tale, nor have I read any of it since the last time I posted. 🤦🏻‍♀️  I've been reading children's books for school and writing instead.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2023, 11:15:29 AM »

Sounds like a fun time. Do you still read Harry Potter to your class or did you move to another book?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2023, 10:14:31 PM »

Yes, I do!  I always read the first Harry Potter book to them and usually the second; I let them vote on if they want to read the second one or something different, but they always vote to read Chamber of Secrets.  We haven't even started Harry Potter yet this year, but a lot of them are already into it.  I think we've come to the point where their parents are the generation that grew up with Harry Potter and are passing the love for it onto their kids, which is cool to see.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2023, 12:32:59 PM »

That's awesome!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2024, 12:15:28 AM »

You'll be happy to know that I finally, FINALLY finished reading Fairy Tale by Stephen King, which I started last summer. 🤦‍♀️  Not my favorite King book.  It wasn't bad overall, but it about lost me in the middle during the part when Charlie was imprisoned, and there were a ton of new characters to keep track of and pretend to care about.  I had to push myself to keep reading past that section.  Once they escaped, it got better, and I was able to finish the rest pretty quickly.  I think I need a break from Stephen King though.  I definitely prefer his full-on horror books to fantasy.  I also think he's better off sticking to adult main characters.  This one had a distinct Steve Buschemi "How do you do, fellow kids?" tone to the first person narration and the kind of words and phrases he had this 17-year-old boy using (or even 26-year-old man, as he said he was when he was telling the story 9 years later in the end).  I don't care how many old movies Charlie watched on TCM, which was how he justified it LOL.  But hey, at least Radar didn't die!  And I also enjoyed that it was set (partly) in Illinois instead of Maine for once, even if he made Charlie a White Sox fan instead of a Cubs fan LOL.

Not sure what I'll read next or even what kind of book I'm in the mood for, but I know it won't be fantasy!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 12:24:08 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2024, 09:30:37 AM »

Fairy Tale wasn't on my list of favorites as well. It was good but I felt like it was a poor man's 11/22/63. It had that vibe, I guess because of the feel of going back in time, but yeah, there were too many characters, and it went a bit long. I just got his new one from Amazon yesterday. It's a collection of short stories, which I am also not the biggest fan of.

I'm reading Amor Towles today, which I might elect to do now instead of write. I'm not really in the mood to write today. So, depending on the order you click to read things, ignore what I said in the other thread. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2024, 01:45:13 PM »

Yes, 11/22/63 was much better!  Despite what I said about preferring King's horror, I actually think 11/22/63 may be my favorite King book.  It's definitely toward the top.  That, The Stand, and Salem's Lot are probably my top three.  Misery is up there for me too.  I've never read one of his short story collections because I prefer novels to short stories, but after how long it took me to get through this one, maybe I should try short stories for a change LOL.  Whatever I read next, it needs to be a page-turner.

I wonder if they'll make a movie or miniseries of Fairy Tale someday.  I would still watch the movie version.  A movie version might even be better in some ways because it would speed up the boring parts and might make it easier to keep track of all the characters in the middle, to have faces instead of names.  I would be interested to see how they portrayed the grayfolk and characters like the Flight Killer, Hana, and Red Molly, as long as they didn't ruin it with bad CGI.  It would need to have a big budget to be done well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 01:51:55 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2024, 08:46:51 PM »

When it comes to his movies. I usually skip them. I think the only movies I've ever seen of his were Stand By Me, The Green Mile and the Shawshank Redemption which is kind of ironic because all three were short stories or novellas the complete opposite of what I like to read. I loved the original Stand miniseries, but for some reason, his movies and TV shows don't really do anything for me. Mr. Mercedes and that whole book series were some of my favorite books, but I only got as far as the second episode of that series before I phoned it in. Same with 11/22/63. I did watch most of that one, but completely skipped over the episode where they showed the whole cow thing.

It would be interesting to see how they would bring Fairy Tale to Life. I have a feeling a lot of those characters will end up being cut if they did make it into a movie.

I am curious about the Dark Tower series. Mike Flannagan, the same guy who did Hill House and all of those great suspense series on Netflix is going to be adapting that one. I might check it out. I didn't even bother with the movie when it came out because of the reviews alone, but the Dark Tower, if done correctly would be an epic limited series.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2024, 10:12:58 PM »

I've watched a lot of movies based on Stephen King books, and I agree, a lot of them aren't great.  Along with the ones you named, I love Misery and The Shining, although I know King himself was not a fan of Kubric's adaptation of the latter.  The newer It movies are good, too, especially Part 1.  I find the original miniseries kinda cheesy in comparison, although Tim Curry was great as Pennywise.     I have mixed feelings on the original miniseries of The Stand.  Some aspects of it were done well, and some of it was cheesy. The 11/22/63 miniseries with James Franco was okay, but not nearly as good as the book.  I've actually never read the Dark Tower series; I should probably do that at some point, especially if they're making a show out of it.  A show, even if it's a limited series, sounds better than movies.  I think that's why the short stories make better movies, because a lot of King's books are just too big to be adapted into a movie well.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2024, 08:53:32 AM »

I was going to recommend you read Project Hail Mary. I know you said you were looking for a page turner. It isn't horror but it is a suspense/sci fi and I know you might not enjoy that type of book but honestly every single person I know who has read it, has loved it. They are working on the film version now staring Ryan Gosling. It's the same guy who wrote The Martian which they turned into a movie a while ago.

Another great suspense is called Hidden Pictures. It's a haunted house type story with a lot of interesting twists and turns. I can't think of the author off the top of my head. Jason Rekulak. I just literally had to turn around and look on my bookshelf. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2024, 08:10:14 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation s! I will look more into both of those. I read The Martian and enjoyed it, although it was a little too technical/sciencey for me at times. It translated well into a movie for that reason, so they could just show what was happening instead of trying to explain it LOL.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2024, 09:24:11 AM »

You'll be happy to know that I finally, FINALLY finished reading Fairy Tale by Stephen King, which I started last summer. 🤦‍♀️  Not my favorite King book.  It wasn't bad overall, but it about lost me in the middle during the part when Charlie was imprisoned, and there were a ton of new characters to keep track of and pretend to care about.  I had to push myself to keep reading past that section.  Once they escaped, it got better, and I was able to finish the rest pretty quickly.  I think I need a break from Stephen King though.  I definitely prefer his full-on horror books to fantasy.  I also think he's better off sticking to adult main characters.  This one had a distinct Steve Buschemi "How do you do, fellow kids?" tone to the first person narration and the kind of words and phrases he had this 17-year-old boy using (or even 26-year-old man, as he said he was when he was telling the story 9 years later in the end).  I don't care how many old movies Charlie watched on TCM, which was how he justified it LOL.  But hey, at least Radar didn't die!  And I also enjoyed that it was set (partly) in Illinois instead of Maine for once, even if he made Charlie a White Sox fan instead of a Cubs fan LOL.

Not sure what I'll read next or even what kind of book I'm in the mood for, but I know it won't be fantasy!

That was the part I struggled to get through too.  Once it got past that it was fine.  I mostly enjoyed the book though.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2024, 02:19:31 PM »

I figured!  My sister said she struggled through the same part, too.
 The rest of the book was pretty good.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2024, 03:24:46 AM »

I'm currently reading Bridgerton book five - To Sir Philip, With Love by Julia Quinn.  I've enjoyed the others too. They're an easy read and pretty quick to get through for someone like me who only reads a few pages a night.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2024, 09:28:28 AM »

I don't think I would enjoy those books or the show, even though everyone is saying the third season has been the best. It's still mainly boy meets girl, right? And I know the books are pretty much solely that too. Which is a shame because of the big family. I'm in the middle of You Like it Darker. The short story collection from SK. It's been good, nothing stands out as of yet.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15