Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: New music!  (Read 51830 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: New music!
« Reply #360 on: July 31, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

The suspense is killing me!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #361 on: July 31, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

Alright, here goes my review of In A World Like This. Yesterday I was pretty hesitant about this album but I am happy to report that it's really starting to grow on me. There are songs that I really didn't care for on the first listen that now I'm starting to appreciate a bit more. I was telling Mare this morning that I really was upset when I didn't turn it on and think 'omg this is the single greatest record I've ever heard!' because I really had built it up that big in my head while waiting to hear it.

Now that I've listened a few times I realize that some of my lack of enthusiasm has less to do with the songs themselves and more to do with the order in which they play on the CD. My old boss used to always say I'd make a great radio program director because I'm really particular about the way songs flow into one another and I'm always the first to point out when songs just don't sound good next to one another. This morning, I intentionally listened to the album on random and liked some songs better. Weird, eh? Anyway, enough about my idiosyncrasies and on with the music!

In A World Like This - Perfect choice to open the album with. Aside from being the title track, it really is one of the strongest songs on the record. Super catchy, really fun and for the first time in a while... a really great choice for first single!

Permanent Stain - Admittedly, I always hear that Christmas song whenever PS starts and the title is questionable but I forget all that pretty quickly because it's such a great song. Really, any song that uses tubular bells ranks pretty high with me lol This is my #1 song on the album.

Breathe - This is one of the songs that I've changed my mind about it in the last 24 hours. I'm not big on the beginning, a production effect right off the top reminds me of bad 90's R&B... like most BSB ballads on the first record lol To make matters work the first verse is Kevin and... sigh... sorry... I just really don't like his voice. It's just so zzzzzzz.... sorry, did you say something? I was listening to Kevin sing and passed out. The chorus is absolutely lovely though and that quality has literally saved this song for me.

Madeleine - This song is trying really hard to be Coldplay's Green Eyes in my mind but falls short. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's nothing special to me, like something someone would perform at a high school coffee house. It's good though. I won't skip it.... too often. lol I don't feel like it belongs in the track 4 slot though, I think it would be better suited for closer to the end of the album.

Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) - Another song that I'm pretty neutral on. This is where I find I struggle with the song order. Tracks 3-7 are nearly all the same tempo, so I start to get bored when Breathe comes on and it just stretches through. I like this song well enough but I'll never go out of my way to put it on.

Make Believe - This song sounds exactly like something Nick would have written for himself. Stylistically, it's very similar to other songs he's written complete with stupid space references. I like it well enough, but I still find myself in the midst of a stretch of mid-tempo songs that are really not grabbing me at this point. I also find this song to be about a minute too long - did it really need to be 4:47 long?

Try - It's just not funny anymore and I want to take a nap. Eric Clapton rip-off, much? The guitar track couldn't be closer to Change The World without an accompanying lawsuit. AJ sounds great though and none of them would have sounded as good singing that track.

Trust Me - Trust Me was the perfect choice to come out of a song like Try. It really starts to bring the energy back up without being overwhelming. I just love this song and the guys sound great! Even Kevin, this song really suits his voice  - I find I like him a lot more in this track - and Nick's falsetto is perfect.

Love Somebody - Now I'm right back into the record because again, perfect lineup choice because now the level/tempo of the album is building again at a really great pace. This is another song that I am a big fan of. It's a really cute song, lyrics-wise, despite it's touch of cheesiness.

One Phone Call - I wasn't sure about this song at first but I figured since Mare hates it then I should give it a chance because it was probably going to be my favourite. LOL Kidding. Seriously though, this was another song where the chorus totally saved it for me. It's such an ear worm. I've had it stuck in my head a couple of times now. I can see myself singing along with this song for a while to come.

Feels Like Home - Seriously? Yes, let's write another version of that stupid Girls in the USA song that Nick did for Now or Never and have AJ Kevin sing in a stupid southern accent right off the top. I really hate this song - it's all over the place. WOW, I hate songs that list of random rhyming cities/countries. I gave it a few tries but I really can't get through it anymore without glaring at my iPod lol

Soldier - This album needed a strong finish and Soldier delivers. What a great track - it's super fun and catchy. I can see myself putting this song on repeat, which is the ultimate compliment from me LOL

BONUS TRACKS

Hot Hot Hot - LOL Did anyone read the lyrics to this song before they decided to sing it? Every single time the song starts I don't recognize it and I think that I don't mind it so much and then the chorus starts and I remember how friggen RIDICULOUS it is! What the hell. Seriously. There was no better b-side to use as an iTunes bonus? Seriously? They can't use the word ass but Howie can say "you're the dessert I want to taste"? UGH. Kill me now.

In Your Arms - Why isn't this on the album? I seriously LOVE this song. It's what I would consider a "me song". It's exactly how I like my BSB - uptempo and fun. I will listen to this song a lot.

Light On - This is just a straight-up fun pop song. I like it! It's not going to change the fabric of the music industry but it's catchy enough. It's a good choice for a bonus track.

Take Care - This one took me a couple of listens before I was on board (quelle surprise!). It has bit of an alt-pop feel to it, very One Republic with a touch of Arcade Fire, and I genuinely enjoy the harmonies on this track. (lol I blame Steph for the fact that TWICE I typed Direction instead of Republic)

Next record they should release 100 songs and let the fans build their own record LOL Now for my rankings!

1. Permanent Stain
2. Soldier
3. Trust Me
4. In Your Arms
5. In A World Like This
6. Take Care
7. Love Somebody
8. One Phone Call
9. Light On
10. Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)
11. Make Believe
12. Breathe
13. Madeleine
14. Hot Hot Hot
15. Feels Like Home
16. Try

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:30:34 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

I only ever listen to an album once in order than I go random play! I always love not knowing what's coming next. It must be the suspense girl in me! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #364 on: July 31, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »

I only ever listen to an album once in order than I go random play! I always love not knowing what's coming next. It must be the suspense girl in me! LOL

I will actually make my "random" playlists so that songs go well together LOL I can't handle a ballad going into a fast song or vice-versa :P My iPod is overflowing with playlists.

I even have a BSB playlist that I have sorted the songs from every album into the order I like them best.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:34:37 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

usako

« Reply #365 on: July 31, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »

I love how much love "Take Care" is getting.  ;) ;)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #366 on: July 31, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »

I loved your review, Julilly!  I think that is so interesting what you said about the order of songs affecting your opinion of it.  I was going to ask you guys if anyone else had either rearranged the order on a playlist or just found themselves starting the CD on a track other than #1.

I made a playlist pretty quickly yesterday after ranking the songs so that the ones I like best play first... so that by the end of the playlist, if I'm getting bored with the songs I don't like as much, I can just skip right back up to the top! LOL

Today I put the actual CD back on, first in my bathroom so I could listen to it while I was in the shower, and then in my car.  Both times, I decided to start on track #9, Love Somebody, and go through the end of the album first.  I was the same way with Never Gone; I would always start at #8, Climbing the Walls, and listen to the end first because my three favorites, CtW, Beautiful Woman, and Siberia, were all at the end.  This album reminds me a lot of NG in that way.  The beginning is pretty good, the end is amazing, and the middle is kind of a snoozefest.  I agree with Julilly that they probably should have moved the uptempos to the beginning and the slower songs to the end, more like the order of Millennium.  Pretty much all of the boring songs on Millennium are at the end, as they should be LOL.

That said, the only snoozefest song for me on this album is Try; I adore all of the other slow songs, as well as the uptempos, so it doesn't really matter... I just find that I'm liking the end of the album the best right now.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »

Am I the only one who loves Try?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #368 on: July 31, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »

I think Rose liked it too, Steph LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #369 on: July 31, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »

Rose does love Try.

I think if Try had been on TIU, I might have liked it more.  Compared to Bye Bye Love, PDA, and She's a Dream, it's a beautiful song!  But on an album full of beautiful songs that are more pop and my speed, it falls short.  Like I've said before, I think it would have fit better on AJ's solo album, and I might have liked it better on there, too.  I wish he had saved it for himself.  If they had put Just Kids on in place of Try, this album would be absolutely perfect for me.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #370 on: July 31, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »

Yes, I agree! It would be a stand out song if it was on TIU but so would hot hot hot! LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #371 on: July 31, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »

LMAO!  Sad as it is, Hot Hot Hot is a less annoying song than the three TUI tracks I mentioned.  Eh, maybe not PDA... it's about on the same level of PDA for me.  PDA I could tolerate if I wasn't thinking and let it play on after Masquerade, whereas the other two, my finger would shoot out like a reflex to change the song on my car stereo LOL.  I can listen to Hot Hot Hot without getting annoyed until it gets to the chorus, and then I'm like, "Oh yeah..."
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #372 on: July 31, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »

I know, same here. I just start laughing at the hot hot hots now. I picture them playing a game of hot potato or something.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #373 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »

LMAO!!!  Well, at least we have a new song to mock.  Poor Shorty's gonna get jealous!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #374 on: July 31, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »

I think I've only listened to She's A Dream a few times, it's one of the worst songs ever!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35