Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124152 times)

usako

Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2013, 01:51:51 AM »

Again, I'm having a tough time deciding which is the biggest failure, but the two I feel the worst about not finishing are Code Blue and a story called Now or Never that isn't even on AC.  Those were the two that had the most potential.  Now or Never suffered from not enough planning and, consequently, a fatal case of writer's block.  

I loved "Now or Never". It was one of the few stories that had Brian as the one hurt instead of Nick.  :D

posted beginnings of stories and then stopped updating them

I'm still doing this.  :D I've posted a prologue of an AU story where Brian and Nick met in a library and forgot that it existed.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »

Well i have done an NSYNC BSB crossover. I have taken ideas from movies, I make lots of references in my story to other things. Finding Carter is chock full of that stuff lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »

My memory sucks when it comes to stuff I've written so I'm going to do my best with these faux pas. lol

*From Tracy and Julie's list the things I am also guilty of are:

labeling things POV. (I can't remember when I did it but my guess is some of my earlier stuff might have that!)
I have written a story in script form I think, one of my short ones
Written a cheesy go to the light scene minus the Nickelback lyrics lol
Written a story with multiple sequels because I was begged to!
Written stories about topics I had no idea what I was talking about
Written a story purely because a reader asked me to
Written scenes or stories based on a joke
Had characters act out of character (my guess is at some point, I have done this as well)
My girl characters tend to be one dimensional

Plus some of my own:

Accidentally change names of people halfway through a story
Have Kevin creepily call Nick baby
Plagiarize myself (all the time!)
Overuse of stereotypes (Howie winking, AJ cussing, Frick and Frack, "he's my cousin")
Calling Howie "The Latino" as a description
Most likely using the word "orbs" to describe someone's eyes!
Putting in too many references to groundhogs and imaginary friends
Accidentally switch from first to third person
"..." said and "..." said
Not always remembering to start a new line when a new person is talking. (this during my humble beginnings lol)
Making Kevin indestructible
Nick rolls his eyes a lot! And I don't know why because I can say I have NEVER ever seen him do this in real life lmao
Nick gets kidnapped...ag ain
Kevin comes to Nick's rescue...again
Female either dies or becomes the villain or dies AFTER she becomes the villain
Leighanne is usually a giant tool! (not really a faux pah, just felt the need to say that!) lol
Taken ideas from SK and ran with them
Named characters after friends because they asked me to

I am sure there are more, but I'm stopping for now. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2013, 07:46:38 AM »

I loved "Now or Never". It was one of the few stories that had Brian as the one hurt instead of Nick.  :D

I'm still doing this.  :D I've posted a prologue of an AU story where Brian and Nick met in a library and forgot that it existed.

Aww thanks! LOL  I used to hurt Brian all the time; unfortunately, those are my old, badly-written ones.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »

I make lots of references in my story to other things. Finding Carter is chock full of that stuff lol

I think references are okay; I was talking copying whole storylines!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »

Calling Howie "The Latino" as a description
Most likely using the word "orbs" to describe someone's eyes!

LMAO at "The Latino" - I know I've done that too, and it's only because I saw so many other people do it in their stories that I thought that was just what the cool writers did! LOL  I never would have thought to call him that on my own.

And orbs... I've used orbs too, and I cringe every time I find that word in my own writing because I know how much you hate it! LOL
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:56:45 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »

Can I just be honest and say that until I came on this message board, I didn't know a lot of these were faux-pas?  Some of these were what I thought made fanfic what it is!  I now realize that there's more to it, and there are some AMAZING pieces of fanfic here on AC, but I still think using some of the clichés is fun.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »

Ah okay well Forces Of Nature was taken right from Twister and we all know Jizzle Of Oz is a direct parody of Wizard Of Oz...even using some dialogue.

I also borrowed the plot to 13 Going On 30 to make.it a BSB story.

I've had Nick maimed, injured, in s coma, car accidents, killed, run over by a reindeer and even cloned.

I have called Nick "the blonde" before.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »

Can I just be honest and say that until I came on this message board, I didn't know a lot of these were faux-pas?  Some of these were what I thought made fanfic what it is!  I now realize that there's more to it, and there are some AMAZING pieces of fanfic here on AC, but I still think using some of the clichés is fun.

That's why I included "by this site's standards" in my description of a faux pas because we can be quite an opinionated bunch! LOL  After discussing just about everything there is to discuss about fanfic on this board, there are just certain things that stand out as being pet peeves and faux pas.   I don't think all fanfic cliches necessarily count as faux pas because you can still write a great fanfic around a cliche.  I love a good kidnapping story, a bus crash story, a terminal illness story, etc.  Sure, those plots are cliche, but I don't consider them faux pas.  A faux pas is more something that's considered unacceptable or, in this case, bad writing - which, of course, is subjective!  You're right, though, a lot of the things we've mentioned are hallmarks of fanfic LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »

Can I just be honest and say that until I came on this message board, I didn't know a lot of these were faux-pas?  Some of these were what I thought made fanfic what it is!  I now realize that there's more to it, and there are some AMAZING pieces of fanfic here on AC, but I still think using some of the clichés is fun.

I agree with you. Even though I listed Nick gets in trouble and Kevin comes to the rescue, I wouldn't plan on changing that anytime soon. It's kind of defined me as a writer and people enjoy reading it. Doesn't mean I don't recognize that it's overly used by myself though. I think that's why I listed it as my own personal faux pa. I just tend to fall back on Nick in peril, boys come to the rescue formula and throw in a groundhog reference for good measure! LOL

Just remember, one person's faux pa may be another person's favorite part of the story! Now THERE'S a quote for you!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »

Oh I have called Nick 'The blonde one." More times than I'd care to admit

I think that's one of the reasons I prefer first person. I was running out of clever ways to refer to the boys! lmao

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »

Just remember, one person's faux pa may be another person's favorite part of the story! Now THERE'S a quote for you!

I like that quote!

Okay, so everyone, what "faux pas" are your favorites, either to use in your own writing or read in others'?

Personally, I prefer to only refer to the Boys by nouns that describe them.  http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7804&textsize=0&chapter=25
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »

In all seriousness, I like a lot of the cliched storylines, especially the ones I mentioned earlier - kidnapping/hostage situations and any kind of vehicular accident or disease.  As long as they're decently written, those are always winners in my book!

I also like using/seeing the stereotypes Mare mentioned - Howie winking, AJ cussing, Kevin being the bossy dad figure and saying "He's my cousin," Brian and Nick calling each other Frick and Frack.  That stuff never gets old for me; it makes me feel nostalgic, both for the early days of BSB and for the good old days of fanfic.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »

Aww thanks! LOL  I used to hurt Brian all the time; unfortunately, those are my old, badly-written ones.

I used to read your stories all the time.  :D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »

I used to read your stories all the time.  :D

I didn't know that!  Thanks! :)
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50