Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124169 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »

For the record, has is ever NOT been "Don't Wanna Lose You Now"?   :D

I used "End of the Road" in my bus crash story, just to change it up a little. ;)  (The sad thing is, I'm being totally serious!)

I've inserted myself as a character too but I used my middle name lol

Except for the groundhog which I blatantly called Mare!

LMAO I love your groundhog story (summary).  What's your middle name / which character was that?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »

LOL! Aww if only everyone in a coma could wake up to that!

Who knows, maybe that's actually a cure for comas!  I mean, it does have a 100% success rate in stories.  How will we know until we get the Backstreet Boys to visit a coma patient in the hospital and sing it?  We should start a Twitter campaign.  #BSBCuresComas
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »

Oh my, god, I'm dying!! :D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

I used "End of the Road" in my bus crash story, just to change it up a little. ;)  (The sad thing is, I'm being totally serious!)

LMAO I love your groundhog story (summary).  What's your middle name / which character was that?

I named Nick's little girlfriend Patty in my Protect and Serve series and she is me completely lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

Who knows, maybe that's actually a cure for comas!  I mean, it does have a 100% success rate in stories.  How will we know until we get the Backstreet Boys to visit a coma patient in the hospital and sing it?  We should start a Twitter campaign.  #BSBCuresComas

Didn't a little girl actually come out of a coma because her parents played her Backstreet songs? I kind of think I remember a news story where Brian and Nick visit her in the hospital, or was that just a fanfic and I'm getting real life and fantasy mixed up? LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

Sounds vaguely familiar, actually.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2013, 05:53:55 PM »

Yup, we were correct!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2mCqulXF4

This song was Drowning! So sweet!!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:33 PM »

I think the singing out of a coma thing is cheesy but I love cheese. It's so sweet and just makes me go awwww every time LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »

Aww, I remember that little girl!  So cute!

I'm telling you, BSB music has magical powers!  #BSBCuresComas
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »

I think the singing out of a coma thing is cheesy but I love cheese. It's so sweet and just makes me go awwww every time LOL

As far as I know, "Where Can We Go From Here" was the first to use the DWLYN/coma cliche (before it was a cliche), and as cheesy as it is, that was always my favorite part of that story.  It used to make me cry.  It's still the first scene that comes to mind when I think of that story, which is still one of my all-time favorites.  People wouldn't have copied it enough to make it a cliche if it wasn't a good scene!
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »

Oh I have called Nick 'The blonde one." More times than I'd care to admit

I think that's one of the reasons I prefer first person. I was running out of clever ways to refer to the boys! lmao

I refer to Nick as "the blonde" or "the younger man" all the time but I think physical appearance is not a bad way to refer to a character! If every other word was Nick I'd be annoyed :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2013, 08:00:36 AM »

Maybe.  As I was telling Tracy the other day, I've never been a huge fan of AUs because when I read fanfic, I like for the the guys to be "The Backstreet Boys."  I have read really good AUs in which the characters were SO well-written that it didn't matter that they weren't a boyband, but I've also skipped over plenty of AUs because I just couldn't suspend my belief and get past the whole BSB thing.  

That makes me feel kinda good since one of the stories you like that I've written is AU lol

Looking back at Mare's little list... plagiarizing myself - HOLY. I wrote a scene with an argument once and it just came so naturally, flowed so well... because I had already written a nearly identical scene in a previous story and ripped off my own dialogue LOL

I guess another faux pas that I am guilty of is suddenly (randomly) spewing really technical jargon based on research I was doing for the story. Took me a while back in the day to figure out how to rewrite things in my own words, especially when I don't really understand it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »

I feel like I inadvertently do that ALL THE TIME (and I've only got 3 stories!).  It's mainly conversations, phrases, and little jokes that I see myself using in real-life that spill over into fanfic.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »

I feel like I inadvertently do that ALL THE TIME (and I've only got 3 stories!).  It's mainly conversations, phrases, and little jokes that I see myself using in real-life that spill over into fanfic.

It's definitely a good way to find out phrases or words you overuse lol I will look back at my dialogue and be like "wow, I use that phrase way too much" which means I probably use it a lot in real life also!

Some people also write in whatever regional accent they have, also, which I always find amusing.
~Maple Jellybean~

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »

Some people also write in whatever regional accent they have, also, which I always find amusing.

This is so difficult!! I used to use the word "washroom" for bathroom literally all the time until Kelly said something to me about it being a Canadian word. I actually had no idea and I had Nick & co saying it all over the place. I am sure there is other Canadian slang that I'm unaware of, but I do make a conscious effort to not use "eh" :P

Also Brit speak. This is the bane of my existence. I always have a British slang tab open. It helps that I do watch a lot of British TV and obviously watch a million interviews. I think I can fake it okay, but I still feel like my characters don't sound authentic and sound like a North American person trying to force in British slang.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50