Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124121 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »

I do that too, where I find myself using the same or similar phrases/descriptions or full-on scenes from story to story.  Sometimes I realize it as I'm writing, when I'm like, "This sounds familiar..." and other times I don't even realize it until much later.

I think the regional accent thing is funny, too - I've noticed that in some stories.  It has to be hard to write dialogue for characters who talk totally different from the way you do, though.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »

This is so difficult!! I used to use the word "washroom" for bathroom literally all the time until Kelly said something to me about it being a Canadian word. I actually had no idea and I had Nick & co saying it all over the place. I am sure there is other Canadian slang that I'm unaware of, but I do make a conscious effort to not use "eh" :P

Also Brit speak. This is the bane of my existence. I always have a British slang tab open. It helps that I do watch a lot of British TV and obviously watch a million interviews. I think I can fake it okay, but I still feel like my characters don't sound authentic and sound like a North American person trying to force in British slang.

That has to be hard, writing dialogue in your One Direction fics!  I was looking up British slang most recently for Song for the Undead because I wanted it to be authentic, but then I also didn't want it to seem like I was trying too hard to incorporate too much slang.

Most of my knowledge of British slang comes from reading Harry Potter and going, "What does 'take the Mickey out' mean?  What the hell are 'trainers'?" and eventually using my context clues to figure it out LOL.  So whenever I write British characters, I think WWHRHS?  "What would Harry, Ron, and Hermione say?"
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »

This is so difficult!! I used to use the word "washroom" for bathroom literally all the time until Kelly said something to me about it being a Canadian word. I actually had no idea and I had Nick & co saying it all over the place. I am sure there is other Canadian slang that I'm unaware of, but I do make a conscious effort to not use "eh" :P

If it makes you feel any better, I catch some older people here in eastern Kentucky referring to it as the washroom, too, so maybe if you were writing Kevin or Brian.....

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »

Whenever people use British terms for the boys, suddenly no matter who is saying it, I hear them with a British accent. Kevin saying "I have to go to the loo." lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »

What has been your biggest success and biggest failure, related to fanfic?

I'm not really sure what my biggest success is, maybe Save A Prayer though as I'm quite fond of that story.

Biggest failure is that I haven't written anything for months and also don't get time to read as much as I used to.  I used to do lots of my reading in work, but these days we are so overworked and understaffed that I don't even have chance to go on the internet for anything other than work related stuff :(

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »

LOL The Blood Red Moon talk gave me another question:

What are some fanfic faux pas you've committed?

These would be things you've done in your stories that are apt to be criticized or not considered great writing by this site's standards.  An example might be making your female lead a Mary Sue (a female character who's perfect in every way) and naming her after yourself.

I've made plenty of mistakes LOL!  I've put myself into stories, I've written some real crap and I've probably had a Mary Sue girl *cringes*

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »

Some people also write in whatever regional accent they have, also, which I always find amusing.

LOL yes, I'm sure my stories are written in the way I speak! I do try, but sometimes my (not very Welsh) accent comes out in my writing :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »

That has to be hard, writing dialogue in your One Direction fics!  I was looking up British slang most recently for Song for the Undead because I wanted it to be authentic, but then I also didn't want it to seem like I was trying too hard to incorporate too much slang.

Most of my knowledge of British slang comes from reading Harry Potter and going, "What does 'take the Mickey out' mean?  What the hell are 'trainers'?" and eventually using my context clues to figure it out LOL.  So whenever I write British characters, I think WWHRHS?  "What would Harry, Ron, and Hermione say?"

If you want British slang, I can help :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »

If you want British slang, I can help :)

Thanks! :)  I may need you for my Harry Potter story sometime!
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to hear each other's accents? I wonder if people sound how we think they would?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »

That could probably happen now thanks to Instagram & it's 15 second videos lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »

This is for Saka and some others who have tried it or want to.

Have you ever written fanfic for another fandom? Did you find the change difficult? Have you ever taken one story from one fandom and changed it for another? If you haven't tried to write in another fandom yet, would you and which would it be?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »

Since there's also been a lot of discussion about AUs

Have you ever written an AU? Would you ever consider it? If you did, what kind of story would you create?

Do you tend to enjoy reading AUs?

If you don't, why do you skip them?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »

It was really difficult in the beginning, but I do think I'm getting better at it! It's difficult to know when it's too much and to add another layer onto it, just because it's slang they have over there, having to think if a particular character would actually say that word/phrase.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to hear each other's accents? I wonder if people sound how we think they would?

It'd be fun if everyone recorded themselves reading an excerpt from one of their stories, so we could hear how it sounds in their voice.  I hate the sound of my own voice when I hear it back, but I am nosy and love hearing how other people sound.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50