Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124156 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2013, 02:58:17 AM »

I actually started writing.AUs and branched off into trying other genres, trying.canon.s tories as well. I read canon and AU.fic, i can get into either.one.

i have written BSB/NSYNC crossover, but I have never tried writing.in another fandom or writing OF. I may.try that.someday.. .I have been working on a OF fantasy/adventure collab.with a friend but it's in developmental stages still. One day I want to try a crossover or a story that does not include BSB.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

Have you ever written fanfic for another fandom? Did you find the change difficult? Have you ever taken one story from one fandom and changed it for another? If you haven't tried to write in another fandom yet, would you and which would it be?

The first fanfic I ever really "published" online for the rest of the world to see was a Grey's Anatomy fic on fanfiction.net back in 2007 or so.  I had fun writing that one, and actually got a lot of good feedback on it.
It was pretty easy to write.  That was when Grey's was still wildly popular, and it was my way of getting from one season to the next during the summer.  (I came up with a story line that would follow the season finale).Inspired by the work I've been doing on here lately, I ended up going back to read that one a few weeks ago, just to see if I could see any growth.  There are some really good parts, then some not so good-- so about the same as now. haha.  One story I've written and posted on here is also a cross-over with N'Sync.  Carson Daly is also a character in it, and there are some Britney Spears mentions.  That's less my writing for another fandom so much as it's a nod to pop culture at the time the story took place-- people the guys (and girls, in the story) would have crossed paths with.

As far as AUs, I'm not prone to read them unless they're written by a writer I already know and love.  For example, "Secrets of the Heart" by Julie was a great story.  I'm also considering "To Protect and Serve" by Mare when I finish my second challenge story.  For me to enjoy an AU, the writing has to be really good, the plot has to be really original, and the Boys have to be characterized really well.  Too often, the guys just don't seem like themselves in an AU, and to me, that's not fan fiction.  It's original fiction with characters who happen to have their names.  

I've never really considered writing an AU, but if the right storyline came to me, I'd try it.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:08:34 AM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »

I just edited your post Emily because for some reason it posted oddly lol just in case you were wondering why it says last edit today by me.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »

Who knows.  I tend to copy and paste the questions so I can remember them if there's more than one, then they didn't show up on my text box.  Maybe they did on the reply?  Anyway...thank s!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »

Oh that makes sense. Yes, it posted as if you had hit a 'select all' lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »

Have you ever written fanfic for another fandom? Did you find the change difficult? Have you ever taken one story from one fandom and changed it for another? If you haven't tried to write in another fandom yet, would you and which would it be?

The only other fandom I have even tried to write a fic for is Supernatural and I only tried a short story. For some reason, I have a much harder time writing for characters than real people. Maybe because in my mind, I feel like they have already been created by someone else so I'm stealing them? Who knows how my brain works lol Like most of you, I have incorporated other people into my fics. I had Carson appear in Why and did some major crossover action in 5 BSBs in Search of a Plot. But I have never really felt strongly enough about another band or actor/actress to try to write a story centered around them. I have had the idea forever and a day to do a BSB/Numb3rs crossover but I kind of got that out of my system by incorporating them into Whatever the Night May Bring.

Have you ever written an AU? Would you ever consider it? If you did, what kind of story would you create?
I have written two AU series. The Mel's Tree series and Protect and Serve and it's sequel Scars Run Deep and Wide. Both of them were surprisingly fun to write. I think I enjoy writing them more than reading them, but I know I won't be writing another one.

Do you tend to enjoy reading AUs?
Not really. I tend to not be interested. Steph mentioned the boys just having different jobs and that was an excellent point! That is so true, but for me I don't think I would be interested in them if they had different jobs. I only like reading AU if they are related but it all goes back to the kind of fics I like to read which is the boys relationships with one another as opposed to with a female of if they become plumbers etc...

If you don't, why do you skip them?
I guess I didn't have to really ask this question because everyone is answering it in the first one lol but yes, what I just said but I will also add, I do think it's really important to keep the guys personalities because I think as Emily mentioned, otherwise it's just the use of their name and really what's the point of that?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

Since there's also been a lot of discussion about AUs

Have you ever written an AU? Would you ever consider it? If you did, what kind of story would you create?

Do you tend to enjoy reading AUs?

If you don't, why do you skip them?

I've written AU almost exclusively. I don't know why but I've always preferred them - in fact, the very first BSB fic I ever wrote back when I was 15 was AU. I've written a couple stories that aren't, but even if the characters are Backstreet Boys in the story they rarely live out a typical day as one, so it always has a certain AU influence. If every story was set on tour or in the studio or during the hiatus and followed along with real life milestones/events, I know I would get bored after a while.

For me, real person fic doesn't have to be a reflection of that person's day-to-day life. I like to think of it as an opportunity to make that person a character in your story rather than writing a story about the person.

That being said, I don't always enjoy reading AU because it can often be done not-so-well. I agree that you do have to be able to see the real person within the character and even though I have written people in very out-of-character situations (Howie is typically my go-to villain haha) I try hard to make it plausible to see that person in that role and see something of them in it. A lot of AU stories I've read miss that and you can't picture the real person in your head because it's just too far off the grid.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »

or if they become plumbers etc...

Damn, that was my next idea, too!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »

I think Howie is the most likely to snap lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

LMAO I love that we all go to Howie as the villain of our AUs.  He does make a good one!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »

He just know he's not as sweet as he comes off! LOL

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

I enjoyed making Howie a jerk in Finding Carter, it was fun to write him not ao sweet for once haha

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »

When I first discovered fanfic back in 2006/2007 it was Take That fanfic, so they were the first ones I wrote.  I found them quite easy (even though the actual stories were crap) because I could set them in places I knew, and of course writing in their accents was no problem.

I've also written a Twilight one-shot and a Supernatural/BSB cross over.

I was once tempted to change one of my old Take That stories into a BSB one, but decided against it because I would have to re-write it completely.  The setting, the language, the boys, they just aren't the same lol.

I would love to write in another fandom, but if I did, it would probably be for one of my favourite TV shows.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »

Does anyone else hear voices for each other in your heads? You all have a different voice in my head that I hear when I read your replies lol

I try to imagine what you all sound like and I bet I'm completely wrong!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

Have you ever written an AU? Would you ever consider it? If you did, what kind of story would you create? I've written a few AUs and would write more.  I've written to boys in World War 2, had them work in an office and also done a collab with Lore where we have them in a futuristic sci-fi AU.

Do you tend to enjoy reading AUs? Yes.  I'd say that a lot of the stories I've read have been AUs.

If you don't, why do you skip them? N/A to me :)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50