Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124156 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »

Is your hand on the mic? You should be able to see your voice memos when you sync with iTunes.

That's the problem I had no clue where the mic was. I think I just figured it out lol I'm a little slow! And yes, my voice memos are on the computer but I have no clue how to share them. slow! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »

Here is mine. I'm so camera shy, hope it's okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zu8I9At9f4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've only seen little bits of Jersey Shore, but you sound just like them!!  This is fun :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »

I just got mine to work! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »

Who is the person you have ever written the most out of character in one of your fics and why did you do it?

I suppose Nick in Save A Prayer because I made him the hero, although compared to how he used to be, it's not so out of character these days.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »

I just got mine to work! lol

Yay! I just listened, I love everyone's accents :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2013, 07:09:41 PM »

Who is the person you have ever written the most out of character in one of your fics and why did you do it?

I was telling Emily in response to her review, that I think Nick in Protect and Serve is the most out of character because I had to make him so young and innocent, I don't really feel like there were a lot of classic Nick characteristic s in him.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »

Maybe not, but who knows what 8 year old Nick was like! He may well have been like that.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »

That's true lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

I guess the obvious answer for me is Howie as the stereotypical supervillain obsessed with world domination in 00Carter.  As we've said, Howie is so nice in real life that you can't really picture him doing anything bad, but he does make a great villain.  Even though he's evil and over the top, we tried to give him motives for his mayhem that made sense with his real life persona.  He's got a major Napoleon complex because he's short, and he craves power and notoriety because he's been rejected and overshadowed so many times.  Since the whole story is kind of an over the top spoof, the characterizati on works.

Otherwise, I usually try to keep the guys as in character as I can, although they often change as a result of what happens to them over the course of the story.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

Some more questions for us!

How much thought do you put into your summaries before you actually post them and how much does a summary play into whether or not you will click on it?

What is your editing process like before you actually post your chapters? Do you have someone else read it before you post or do you self edit?

How much research do you tend to do before posting a story?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »

Okay, I finally have my video of myself talking to share.

First, a quick explanation - I recorded myself reading something the other day after I threw the idea out there.  The schoolteacher in me decided that the only story of mine that would sound better read out loud than silently is one that rhymed, so I went with my AC-inspired Grinch parody from Revenge of the Slaughtered.  After I recorded it, I thought it would be nice to make a video with the words on the screen... and then once I decided to do that, I knew I had to add some music to make it worthy of a Grinch parody.  Then I decided it needed pictures to make it more like a video than an audio book... and before I knew it, I had a 12-minute movie that took me three days to make.  Yes, I have WAY too much time on my hands, but it'll be worth it if it gives anyone (besides me) a laugh!  Consider it my Christmas card to AC, six months early (or late) LOL.

So here is me reading "How Nick Carter Killed Fanfic":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeX9vDNrJQ
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »

How much thought do you put into your summaries before you actually post them and how much does a summary play into whether or not you will click on it?
I put a good amount of thought into my summaries.  Often I'll draft two or three different versions of a summary so I can choose the best one.  Sometimes a summary comes together so well on the first try that I don't need to.  The challenge for me with a summary is how to give just enough information that readers will want to click on it, but not so much that it spoils the story - I prefer vague, intriguing summaries to overly detailed ones that give everything away!

A banner is what usually attracts me to a story, but the summary is what decides whether or not I'll click on it.  It has to sound interesting, intriguing, or like something I'd like.

What is your editing process like before you actually post your chapters? Do you have someone else read it before you post or do you self edit?
I do a lot of revising and editing as I write, so my chapters are usually in pretty good shape by the time they're done.  I still almost always let them sit for at least a day or so before posting so I can proofread them with fresh eyes.  If I try to read through the whole chapter again right after I finish writing it, my eyes will skip right over some of the typos.  I still miss some of them anyway, but it's better if I haven't been looking at the same chapter for the past few hours.  I used to have friends I would send my chapters to before posting them, but nowadays the only stories I do that with are collaborations, so my co-writers can approve them.

I do a ton of research.  I have a set of research folders saved in my bookmarks with literally hundreds of links, organized by story and topic within that story.  I'm kind of obsessive about it, but I actually enjoy doing research; it's like a fun challenge to see how much information I can find to use in my stories.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

Okay, I finally have my video of myself talking to share.

First, a quick explanation - I recorded myself reading something the other day after I threw the idea out there.  The schoolteacher in me decided that the only story of mine that would sound better read out loud than silently is one that rhymed, so I went with my AC-inspired Grinch parody from Revenge of the Slaughtered.  After I recorded it, I thought it would be nice to make a video with the words on the screen... and then once I decided to do that, I knew I had to add some music to make it worthy of a Grinch parody.  Then I decided it needed pictures to make it more like a video than an audio book... and before I knew it, I had a 12-minute movie that took me three days to make.  Yes, I have WAY too much time on my hands, but it'll be worth it if it gives anyone (besides me) a laugh!  Consider it my Christmas card to AC, six months early (or late) LOL.

So here is me reading "How Nick Carter Killed Fanfic":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeX9vDNrJQ

OMG that was amazing!! So worth the effort, I loved it :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

Thanks! :)
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #224 on: July 01, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »

First of all, Julie, that video was EPIC! I burst out laughing at the end where his heart grew three sizes... due to cardiomyopathy brought on by drugs. Bahaha.

For one-shots I just summarize it in either a one line or (if there is one) grab a fairly descriptive line from the story. For novel-length stories, I play with the summary a lot. I make a list of things I want to make sure I hit in the summary, and then I play around with words and phrasing until I hit all of those things and it sounds good.

A summary definitely plays into if I'll click on it! I generally like them to tell me a little bit about the story while having something to draw me into it and leave me wondering about what's going to happen.

Also if I see "I suck at summaries!" or something along that line I won't even click in to read the story. If you can't take the time to summarize your work, then how do I know you've taken the time to make sure the actual story is quality?

I send all my chapters to my friend Jess as I write them. She reads them and offers suggestions on where to add more detail and stuff like that. I am trying to complete my stories now before I post them, so when I go to post the chapter that's when I'll add in that stuff and also fix any spelling errors and awkward sentences. I think this is working a lot better for me than posting chapters as I write them.

A lot! Probably too much. The AU I'm writing takes place in World Cup 2014 in Brazil and I have tons of bookmarks about places in Brazil, and where exactly each match will take place, and articles upon articles of what type of training teams have done to prepare before the tournament. I even drew out the fictional bracket of how the teams would advance LOL but I needed to keep everything organized. I don't like to get stuck and have to look something up while I'm writing, because as soon as I leave the word processor and go to chrome, my productivity will die.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50