Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124162 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

LOL

I don't think you honestly want me to answer this. It would be so long.

This is why I posed the question in the first place, to show some of you how much you have still waiting for you in hopes you'll say "Oh, yeah...I should get moving on that then!" lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2013, 06:46:38 PM »

Do have a story you are currently working on? If so, when was the last time you updated it? How many stories do you currently have in progress or left unfinished?

Fine! I'll answer your question then! lol

I don't actually have that much going for me. I don't really have that many stories at all to be honest. Surprisingly few.

That being said, I do have a few outstanding stories outstanding. (see what I did there?)

I have an older AU romance thing I was writing that I still need to finish. Last updated on 08/24/10. More importantly, the story that Mare is reading is also sitting unfinished. History Repeating was last updated on 04/16/11.

I have since decided that I won't post any fics until they're fully completed. I did that with 30 Days and it worked quite well for me. I could go back and change details if I decided to change the direction of something, and really edit it to where I wanted it. I want to continue doing that with all of my fics. So, if you look at my Google Docs you'll see FIVE unfinished stories that are strangely all around the chapter 10 mark. That's my unlucky chapter where things fall apart apparently lol My fics are generally about 20 chapters long so they're all half done :P

Since I have some free time on my hands I'd like to get going on some of these, History Repeating being at the top of the list. It's just hard to get back into things when you've essentially lost the plot. I have found lots of random notes I made to remind myself of what I wanted to do though. Hopefully it'll happen and I can get it finished before 04/16/14.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »

I get what you're doing, you're just going to wait SO long on History Repeating that history actually WILL just start repeating before it's done! LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »

Exactly, I just want history to write it for me lol If it makes you feel any better I have two chapters half written.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »

I missed a lot of questions!

Besides challenge stories, what are you currently reading and what made you start reading it? (If it's not a fanfic but a book, that's okay too lol)

The only thing I am reading right now is Stephen King's 'On Writing' which is his autobiography/ tips about writing book. It's pretty good!

I don't think I'm actually reading any fanfics right now. I have seen that Julie's been updating Guilty Roads though, so I might have to check that one out!

Do you ever read books or watch movies/shows specifically because they relate to what you're writing about?  It could be for the purpose or researching or just to inspire you.

Nope. In fact, I try to stay away from stuff like that because otherwise I'm afraid it'll influence me too much. What usually happens is that I get inspired by something I've read/watched and then go and write something from there.

Do have a story you are currently working on? If so, when was the last time you updated it? How many stories do you currently have in progress or left unfinished?

Only about a million!

Okay, that's not really true. The only one that I have posted that's unfinished is Running Up That Hill. The last time I updated it was in December, apparently! Huh, I thought it was longer than that. Now I don't feel so guilty LOL. I actually started thinking about that one again today.

I have a couple other BSB stories in progress. There's the Nick sci-fi one I mentioned a little while ago, I think that's 3 or 4 chapters in. I haven't looked at it since November of last year (it was supposed to be my NaNo project)

The other ones I am working on as my main projects are two 1D stories.

There are also a bunch of other stories I have that are just sitting in my folder waiting to be written on. They have anywhere from 1-8 chapters. I actually just looked through my folder and there were some titles I didn't even recognize, I had to click into them to refresh my memory, ha!

So I guess the total would be, one posted story waiting for an update, two other stories currently in progress that I intend to post once they're done and a bunch of other ones that I may or may not work on again.

Okay for all those collaborators out there, do you give yourself deadlines etc... for coming up with next chapters or does your writing on it just fall into the hands of whether the other person will ever post?

Do you find that inconsistency a reason for falling behind on collabs or do you consider it a motivator?

If you aren't a collaborator, would you ever consider doing one?

I don't usually collaborate, honestly. My inspiration isn't consistent enough and I too often get overly excited about an idea only to have it fizzle away after writing a couple of chapters. I did collaborate once here on AC on a AJ story with a few girls in the AJ thread a few years ago, but that one seems to have died out. My friend Katie and I had also outlined a 1D fic, I wrote the first chapter and then nothing else ever happened with it.

I'd still like to try on a collaboration one day, but the right combination of idea and collab partner just hasn't come along yet.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #260 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »

I just checked to see if I did leave anything completely unfinished and I have to say that no, I haven't. I am pleased to say that all of my novels have been completed. I have two open ended collections of short stories Scattered Pictures (the boys time together in London) and A Symphony of Friendship (shorts about Nick and Kevin) but other than that, nothing really has been left undone.

I am really not working on anything fanfic related. I have had a new idea brewing in my head for an original fic and have three original fic stories in progress.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #261 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »

Okay for all those collaborators out there, do you give yourself deadlines etc... for coming up with next chapters or does your writing on it just fall into the hands of whether the other person will ever post?
I have only collaborated on two stories. One was Phantasm which had a lot of people attached to it and the other was 5 BSB in Search of a plot which was three of us. I made sure I set deadlines on both! lol

Do you find that inconsistency a reason for falling behind on collabs or do you consider it a motivator?
I really wouldn't let that happen so it wasn't a real issue although it did get frustrating at times. I don't think I could collaborate without setting deadlines. You all know me and how I work, waiting for someone to post their part of something I was working on, just when they felt like it would pretty much drive me completely insane! This is why I would make a HORRIBLE collab partner unless I were to team up with someone as completely anal as I am!

I don't see myself ever really doing it again unless it was one of those everyone take a turn to write types of things that I had control of.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »

Do you ever read books or watch movies/shows specifically because they relate to what you're writing about?  It could be for the purpose or researching or just to inspire you.

I can't say that I've ever done that.

Well, out of the four stories I have posted on AC, one of them is finished.  That's not good is it?  I'm currently working on trying to finish Forever, though I've actually got an idea for it that may prolong it.  I've said before that it's mostly something I'm working on for myself, culminating several sequential fanfics that I wrote as a young teenager, so it will probably get pretty long.  I'm working on a subplot that I'm hoping to really stretch my writing skills in, so we'll see how that goes.  Mr. Brightside is a little companion piece to that that I'm not really sure if I ever finish, but if I do, it may end up being the more "fanfic-friendly" version, as it's told from the point of view of one of the guys instead of a female lead.

I'm also working on a humor story, Sisterhood of the Ugly Red Sweatpants, which, if you've ever seen them, you know what it's about.

I've never collaborated.

I actually think it would be fun, but I'd probably be pretty picky about who I might collaborate with.  Plus, I'd have to be really passionate about the story.  I'd like to try it sometime, though.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »

Congrats on the updating on Guilty Roads, Julie! :) Hope you keep it up!

Thanks! :)  I am trying to stay four chapters ahead of what's posted so that even if I get writer's block again, I at least have a month's worth of updates (one chapter a week) to post while I try to sort that out.  But so far so good.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #264 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »

I missed a lot of questions!

Besides challenge stories, what are you currently reading and what made you start reading it? (If it's not a fanfic but a book, that's okay too lol)

The only thing I am reading right now is Stephen King's 'On Writing' which is his autobiography/ tips about writing book. It's pretty good!

I don't think I'm actually reading any fanfics right now. I have seen that Julie's been updating Guilty Roads though, so I might have to check that one out!

I've read Stephen King's "On Writing" too - I thought it was good!  And thanks!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »

I have done the deadline thing before with collaborations, and what I've found is that it just leads to frustration, awkward confrontations, and, in one case, the loss of a friendship.  It's not worth it to me.  I try and collaborate with people I know I can count on to write their parts when they can and be honest if they can't, instead of making excuses and stringing me along.  I've learned the hard way over the years who those people are and aren't, and I've gotten picky about who I will write with, but I don't regret a single collaboration.  They've all been fun!

For me, it's a motivator.  I don't ever want to be that person who's letting her co-writer(s) (and readers) down by taking forever to write my part.  When it's my turn to write, I make the time to write and try to get it done as soon as I can.  I can't say I've never left anyone hanging because stuff happens, but I usually am pretty dependable.  I hardly ever get writer's block on my collaborations, so that helps.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #266 on: July 03, 2013, 01:48:28 AM »

Do have a story you are currently working on? If so, when was the last time you updated it?

This is a difficult question. lol In English, my current story is "Love Story" and I've updated it yesterday. It's not that hard working on this story because, in Italian, it's already finished so I've only to translate it. The little problem is that it's 75 chapters long. lol But I'm halway through it.
In Italian, I've got two or three stories that I'm working on. Sadly, all of them are long.

How many stories do you currently have in progress or left unfinished?

Too many. lol Not counting "love story", I'll probably say five or six. Then there are new ideas that I'm working on: an angst/drama Frick and Frack story in English and its translation in Italian, a bunch of one-shorts inspired by all the Frick&Frack's love from the Europen promotion (Nick trying to feed Brian. Just saying lol) and some ideas that are waiting on my computer for a long time.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #267 on: July 03, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »

I've only done one collab and that's with Lore.  We were taking it in turns to write the chapters and were on a roll with it too, and didn't set deadlines.  I'm hoping we can get back into it one day soon.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #268 on: July 03, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »

What were/are some of your goals as a fanfic writer and have you been able to achieve them?

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #269 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »

My first goal was to finish the first story I posted here (Forever), since I started it, oh.... 15 years ago.  Currently still working on that one :)  My second was to write a story that was well-received by the readers on this site.  While it may have not appealed to some of you on this forum, based on what I now know about the genres you like to read, I think I definitely accomplished that with Falling in Love Again.  A secondary goal with that one in particular, just for my own self-confidence, was to be nominated for a Felix Award.  Winning was something I never anticipated at all, and to get Best Romance Runner-Up for that story was awesome. My next goal is to write something that will pull me out of my comfort zone a little by delving into a genre other than romance.  My newest story is a humor story, but I'm going to attempt suspense or action/adventure, maybe.  I'm also working on a little something with Forever that I think may help accomplish that as well.  I've decided to play around with that story a little bit, since I've already been working on it for so long anyway, and it's bound to get lengthy.  Why not make it even longer?  haha
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50