Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124147 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

I'm not sure now where Cinzia talked about slash and het. Maybe it was the challenge thread because I was going to quote it in here but I can't find it lol

Anyway, my question to I guess both Cinzia and Steph our two resident slash writers, when you write your slash stories, do you actually bring sex into the equation or is it more the relationship they have with one another that draws you to writing/reading it? And if that's the case how come just the friendship and special bond they share isn't enough? What is it about making them partners that is so different from say just a story where they are best friends?

I've always wondered about this.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »

found the quote! It was in the challenge thread in reference to Cinzia's story "Love Story"

I've started writing slash because I've always loved Brian and Nick's relationship. Actually, Nick's frienship with Brian is the only thing that makes me like Nick. It's a little bit twisted, I know. lol But, maybe because I've came into the fandom really late (back in 2010), there weren't a lot of stories about their relationship. Most of stories are Nick's centered or about this original female character and the guys sort of rotate around her. I've never loved this kind of stories, I want to read about the guys and how they might deal with certains situations. The step from simply writing and writing slash is very simple: I do think that Brian and Nick would make the perfect couple ever! They're cute and having both of them as the main characters gives me the possibility to write only about them and the group.
Actually, I've never asked myself why I love slash. I suppose it's the same thing as asking someone "why do you write het?" At least, to me.

That is why I asked about the friendship part. It seems to me from what you said, it's their friendship that draws you to want to write about them.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

usako

« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »

I'm not sure now where Cinzia talked about slash and het. Maybe it was the challenge thread because I was going to quote it in here but I can't find it lol

Anyway, my question to I guess both Cinzia and Steph our two resident slash writers, when you write your slash stories, do you actually bring sex into the equation or is it more the relationship they have with one another that draws you to writing/reading it? And if that's the case how come just the friendship and special bond they share isn't enough? What is it about making them partners that is so different from say just a story where they are best friends?

Yes, I bring sex in the equation though it's never about the act itself but more the emotions and feelings behind it. But I'd do the same if it was a het scene, graphic sex isn't something that I'm able or that I want to write.

As I said in the quote, I've never asked myself why I write slash. And I can ask "Why do you write het? Why do you invent an original female character?" To me, there is no difference. For Brian and Nick's case, I've always thought that they could be a perfect couple (and in a way they've confirmed this when Brian joked about Nick's description of Lauren: "she reminds a little bit of myself, that's why Nick loves her so much).
Honestly, I'm here trying to find an answer (and being able to write it) and I can't come up with nothing else. Writing them in a relationship is more changelling, it gives you the opportunity to focus only on them. If I do write about them as friends, I will have to write about their wives and girlfriend and it kinda took away some of the attention because they would be more "attached" to the person they love instead than their friend. As I've always said, I'm not a Nick fan but I do like him when he's joking with Brian and they do act sometimes like they're a couple (kissing each other  :D) so I guess that's why I started seeing them as more than friends.
At the end, it's just fantasy only that instead than fantasing about me and Brian, I prefer writing about him and Nick.  :D

Oh gosh, I hope that I made myself understable.  :D :D

usako

« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

That would have annoyed me so much! No reason for such rudeness, not everyone is going to be into the same things.

Exactly. Especially when there is a giant warning in the introduction. Don't like it, don't read it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »

You made perfect sense, Cinzia lol

It always has just intrigued me because I love to read about the relationships the boys have to one another without the mention of wives/girlfriends etc too... Nothing sexual at all whether it be female or male.

I've written entire stories about the guys relationships to one another without really feeling the need to include their wives/girlfriends as part of the plot. I wrote an entire novel with just Nick and Kevin with only a passing mention about girlfriends. I've also read a lot of great stories that just really centered on their relationships to one another in a brotherly bonding way without bringing in that sexual element.

I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is if you write slash and het for the intimacy those stories bring that's great! I know I don't even really consider a story as slash or het unless there is a sex scene involved. But there are stories out there that convey those same emotions without bringing in the sex that both slash and het stories do. 

I do feel the same way as you when it comes to Brian and Nick's relationship but for me it's the opposite being the only time I really like Brian is when it's in relation to Nick and the bond that they once shared. lol

usako

« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »

You made perfect sense, Cinzia lol

It always has just intrigued me because I love to read about the relationships the boys have to one another without the mention of wives/girlfriends etc too... Nothing sexual at all whether it be female or male.

I've written entire stories about the guys relationships to one another without really feeling the need to include their wives/girlfriends as part of the plot. I wrote an entire novel with just Nick and Kevin with only a passing mention about girlfriends. I've also read a lot of great stories that just really centered on their relationships to one another in a brotherly bonding way without bringing in that sexual element.

I guess in the end what I'm trying to say is if you write slash and het for the intimacy those stories bring that's great! I know I don't even really consider a story as slash or het unless there is a sex scene involved. But there are stories out there that convey those same emotions without bringing in the sex that both slash and het stories do. 

I do feel the same way as you when it comes to Brian and Nick's relationship but for me it's the opposite being the only time I really like Brian is when it's in relation to Nick and the bond that they once shared. lol

lol That's what I was trying to say. To me, it's not about sex. It can be part of the story but it's not what the story revolve around. It's the fluff, being domestic, the intimacy that comes from being together for so many years and, I don't know, I just love writing about Nick taking care and comfort an hurt Brian. lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »

lol okay, works for me.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »

My biggest peeve is the poor layout of a story (wall of text, loads of errors, etc) and also writers who don't reply to reviews.  A simple 'thanks for reading' is all it takes!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »

Definitely bring sex into the equation, it's an important part of any romantic relationship, but the relationship stuff is the more interesting part to me.

It's funny because I've done 1D stories with the guys as just friends and also slash ones, and I found that the slash ones are just more fun to write because I'm able to go deeper into a more complex relationship than that of just, they're best friends and have a close bond. It can be fun to watch interviews and because they're so touchy with one another, make up stuff about what could be going on behind the scenes and if they're angsting about it. You guys know I love the angst, and being secretly in love with another member of the group you're in is a fantastic thing to angst about, lol.

Honestly though, I just sort of fell into writing slash as part of a challenge on the 1D boards a while ago and ended up really enjoying the new character dynamic it allowed me. It was a fresh take on writing fan fic that allowed me to try something new while still being able to stay in my romance comfort zone.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

usako

« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »

Definitely bring sex into the equation, it's an important part of any romantic relationship, but the relationship stuff is the more interesting part to me.

It's funny because I've done 1D stories with the guys as just friends and also slash ones, and I found that the slash ones are just more fun to write because I'm able to go deeper into a more complex relationship than that of just, they're best friends and have a close bond. It can be fun to watch interviews and because they're so touchy with one another, make up stuff about what could be going on behind the scenes and if they're angsting about it. You guys know I love the angst, and being secretly in love with another member of the group you're in is a fantastic thing to angst about, lol.

Honestly though, I just sort of fell into writing slash as part of a challenge on the 1D boards a while ago and ended up really enjoying the new character dynamic it allowed me. It was a fresh take on writing fan fic that allowed me to try something new while still being able to stay in my romance comfort zone.

I totally agree about the angst part. Man, it's so fun writing about it! lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »

After seeing what some idiot said to Cinzia in a review, here is another question for you.

What is the worst thing someone has said to you in a review about one of your stories?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »

After seeing what some idiot said to Cinzia in a review, here is another question for you.

What is the worst thing someone has said to you in a review about one of your stories?

I remember getting a review once where someone was like, "I'm enjoying this...but this is wrong and this is inaccurate, etc, etc" and it ticked me off because it was a subject I was somewhat knowledgable about so I knew I was right but also bc I hate when ppl start with a compliment to try and distract from the criticism. Plus, creative licence! Lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

Well, some people were not down with Nick dying in Forever Like This, but I expected that from the beginning lol.

Back in the FanFicton.Net days I was writing an Aaron Carter story and I guess this one person did not like the turn of events because after a long winded review of why she was upset, she ended it with "Charline [Female lead's name] sucks and so do you." LOL.

I guess I've been lucky because I think that's really the worst I've got!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »

I remember getting a review once where someone was like, "I'm enjoying this...but this is wrong and this is inaccurate, etc, etc" and it ticked me off because it was a subject I was somewhat knowledgable about so I knew I was right but also bc I hate when ppl start with a compliment to try and distract from the criticism. Plus, creative licence! Lol

This was a great post! Except that it was completely inaccurate! LOL I had to...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »

Well, some people were not down with Nick dying in Forever Like This, but I expected that from the beginning lol.

Back in the FanFicton.Net days I was writing an Aaron Carter story and I guess this one person did not like the turn of events because after a long winded review of why she was upset, she ended it with "Charline [Female lead's name] sucks and so do you." LOL.

I guess I've been lucky because I think that's really the worst I've got!

LOL If nothing else, it just shows they were passionate about what they were reading!

I kind of take that as a compliment, when people get really angry with my characters or the way a plot twists. Now, saying you suck is not a nice thing! LOL
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:17:56 PM by mare »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50